996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997.2 or gt2rs cooler fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 03:32 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I've been running the 997.2 IC's successfully on a road course at 1.3 bar for 100+ track hours. The only intercoolers I'd swap to would be Marstons or Secans but they're big $$$. With that said, I just did a boost leak test on my car today and see that the right side IC has a small leak at the end tank. I'm going to pull these and glue them as has been done by other. I could not find the link, but does anyone know what glue is recommended to bond the end tanks to the cores? Thx!

Last edited by pwdrhound; 10-23-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:48 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
There is a mention about the glue used here...Post#6

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ing-badly.html

Old 10-24-2015, 05:34 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Ben107 is his screen name. Just one. 1.4 bar boost on a28s. Idk if he still has the car.
My client has 9ff 3.8l motor and other goodies as he lived close to them and runs 1.6 bar on a2873s. Guess who's 4.5" Ics are on the car. And he would never ever put on the gt2 rs. He actually says that those who believe in gt2rs Ics will never understand nor ever admit that quality bar n plate Ics are thag much better. He actually is an engineer himself who also is a tuner so data logs and graphs is what he lives by. There is more to it then just watching Intake temps on Ics which is all that everyone does. Sure they will recover sooner - the fin design and the lesser mass but what will they do with for when flow and volume really matters to some. There is always a compromise to everything. There are guys who will never put on a rs Ic just like there are guys who will never spend $3k on really good Ics. Yet they will over spend on boost hoses or intakes covered with fake carbon to make them selves feel better. Whatever makes you happy. In the end it's your car your money. I e been down this road a many times since 2001 and made many mistakes. THats how I leaned.
I have little doubt that your ICs work and that they are worth the money you ask. But as you say, everything is a compromise. Bar and plate can be great - but they are heavy. And there is a huge difference in needs if someone wants to go fast in a straight line or if someone is trying to optimize the car for track use. And if you are removing bits of foam from the back of the carpeting to save weight from the middle of the car where the polar moment of inertia is next to nothing, you are definitely going to think 3 times about hanging some heavy chunks of aluminum in the rear corners of the vehicle where a. there is already too much weight because the motor happens to hang there and b. the polar moment of inertia could hardly be greater without going outside of the car's body.

I've read plenty of Andreas' posts on German boards (I assume he is who you mean) and know what he is trying to achieve - and it is not the same as I am trying to achieve (and people like Powderhound are going to even much greater extremes than I).

Comparing using GT2 RS ICs to sticking carbon on intakes is a bit off base. It's not as if these are junk purchased through Alibaba and they have been proven to work - not just here on the board but by Porsche. Who also run 1.6 bar through them in the GT2 RS as ghost pointed out above. And, we are not hearing about ICs blowing up on GT2 RS's everywhere.

I am sure that your ICs flow better and cool the charge well, but as you said: everything is a compromise.

All that said, I've asked about the weight of your ICs before...

Old 10-24-2015, 08:33 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I have a set of SRM 4.5 intercoolers on my car, I regret not weighing them. I can tell you they do weigh more but that I was still comfortable picking them up one handed. If you were very weight sensitive I think you might notice it in the car but I cannot, the sub box for my stereo FAR outweighs these intercoolers and I'd remove that for any serious driving for sure.

I'm also one of the few that I know of who's instrumented one of these. I can't record the readings but I have a gauge that shows inlet, outlet, and differential temps by simply flipping a 3-way toggle. I haven't had the opportunity to push my car really hard and my boost isn't (yet) passing 1BAR. However, I can report that outlet temps have never risen more than a few degrees past ambient even on warm days after a WOT pull. At cruise I see -20 drops regularly and at WOT I've seen -80 drops. I'm certain as I up the boost I'll see greater deltas, I'll report on it when I do and I'm real interested as to how it will do on a dyno. To date I've never seen these heat soak, my gauge has never shown a positive differential which has actually surprised me since most intercooler dump heat after a pull both via core flow and intake flow. I suspect as I push boost higher and get the opportunity to push these harder some of this will change but so far these have exceeded every expectation. I'd like to see differential temps done on other intercoolers, not just outlet. My turbos are K24 hybrids and a few years old so newer stuff might heat the air even less, I look forward to seeing dyno sheets when the standalone goes in :-)

I know you guys hate weight, I understand that putting any on the rear flanks is a sensitive area, but I think it could be worth it for the heat capacity. I'd love to see some temp testing on a road course but I'm not the driver to do it I'm afraid. If I can manage a way to log test data on mine in the future I'll certainly do it and provide it...

Old 10-24-2015, 08:44 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevemfr
There was a guy on one of the German boards who had the plastic end tanks copied in aluminum. I do not know if he ever produced more of these, but if you are interested I can ask (tried calling but he is out sick - can pursue if you are seriously interested). Can not imagine that they are very inexpensive, though. After welding the fittings on, I can easily imagine that they cost more than Pete's end tanks. And even though the pic shows the tanks attached to the cores with the tabs, he ended up welding them to the cores.
I am aware of these, but couldn't get any answer from him, that's why I ended up getting my own fabricated.

Originally Posted by stevemfr
I read about someone else buying the cheap Chinese intercoolers (I believe they are the same ones Vivid sell - certainly look the same). They can (could?) be found at around $350/pair and cutting the end tanks off those and welding them to the GT2 RS cores. Prob the best thing you could do to this ICs . Can't remember where that was though.
ebay.

Found this option unfortunately after I stated this project...

Old 10-25-2015, 08:10 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Blk,
Sounds like your ICs are great for your needs. It would have been great if you'd have weighed them - I am really curious and I would not be opposed if I knew the benefits outweighed the drawbacks (no pun intended). It should not be so difficult to get weights, but every time I ask, the thread dies. Lol

Pete,
PKM is about 2hrs from me but I drive pretty close to his shop every 3 months or so. I have been meaning to stop by for my own needs. But if you do have any questions regarding German suppliers (such as your issues with Heigo, etc.), please don't hesitate to ask. I may have numerous questions regarding the details of some of the things you've done (airbox, rear subframe machining, etc.) so if I can "return favors" in advance...
BTW, the Chinese end tanks are somewhat small (short) from what I've seen, so fabricated end tanks may be the better way to go anyway.

Last edited by stevemfr; 10-25-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:36 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Steve, thanks! PM if you have questions.