996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ABS & PSM failure when on race track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 AM
olwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of light
ABS & PSM failure when on race track

My 2001 996TT while upgraded for track duty is still my everyday driver. Every time I drive on the track I experience ABS & PSM failure. This happens when I go across curbs under power which induces severe inside wheel hop, but never on the street. I usually drive with PSM off, but there are still electronic nannies in operation, and I really like having ABS. It re-sets when I re-start the car.
Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a solution?

BTW: I managed to squeeze 275/35-18 Hoosier R7's in the front on Cayman rear 10" rims. Perfect fit inside and outside with lightly rolled front fenders, but fender liners are taking a beating so I raised the car a bit (easy with PSS 9's). The 275's are in reality not much wider than the 255's, but the 275's are the same diameter as the 315/30 rear tires.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:41 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Apparently its a worn brake master cylinder.

I have the same problem but haven't got around to replacing it yet as it only happens on the track, and i don't track that often as usually at sea.

There is an old thread here that ratifies my claim.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited by timccloud; 10-28-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:25 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by olwe
My 2001 996TT while upgraded for track duty is still my everyday driver. Every time I drive on the track I experience ABS & PSM failure. This happens when I go across curbs under power which induces severe inside wheel hop, but never on the street. I usually drive with PSM off, but there are still electronic nannies in operation, and I really like having ABS. It re-sets when I re-start the car.
Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a solution?

BTW: I managed to squeeze 275/35-18 Hoosier R7's in the front on Cayman rear 10" rims. Perfect fit inside and outside with lightly rolled front fenders, but fender liners are taking a beating so I raised the car a bit (easy with PSS 9's). The 275's are in reality not much wider than the 255's, but the 275's are the same diameter as the 315/30 rear tires.
Disconnect the connector to the PSM pump. It's right under the brake master cylinder. Your ABS will remain operational.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:47 PM
olwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of light
Thank you. I will try this!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:51 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
It's a pain at the track, even with my short experience tracking the car. I was going to do what John suggested as well and disconnect the PSM all together.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:58 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
It's a pain at the track, even with my short experience tracking the car. I was going to do what John suggested as well and disconnect the PSM all together.
Just install a simple on/off switch in the front trunk in line to the PSM connector. Then it's easy to fully shut PSM off when at the track..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zKdqXW]