996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Where did the side intake scoop thread go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 02:32 AM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of

Wont those fly off in high speeds?

Old 11-16-2015, 07:31 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Ronny, there were some really great discussions and links about how strong double sided tape is nowadays and that it should not be an issue. Unfortunately they decided to remove the entire thread rather than trying to remove whatever was not up to the rules and keep all the great information that was in the thread.
Originally Posted by Ronny-

Wont those fly off in high speeds?

Old 11-16-2015, 07:52 AM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
So do these replace the existing vent? Or, do they go on the outside of the body?

Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
They are attached to the vent - separate piece. The last pic you posted shows it clearly: the black vent (from my car ;-p) with the new white scoop. Making a complete new scoop would have been prohibitively expensive.

There were big discussions about how to attack them in the thread that was removed. Joe Toth, who makes these, recommended sticking them on with 3m double sided tape. The dive planes he makes are generally attached this way too and he's only had one come off. And there the owner admitted to being sloppy when gluing the dive plane on.

I have never used 3m double sided tape, but I'd trust Joe on this. You can also remove the vent and use screws if you are a die hard sceptic.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 AM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
I have seen 3M double sided fail in the BMW world, with trunk lip spoilers. Since those days I've seen shops switch to Betalink adhesive, which has proven to be rock solid. The issue with betalink is that once it is on, it is there essentially permanently (sans damaging the underlying paint)

Old 11-16-2015, 03:01 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
Thats honestly my biggest concern. I would like to be able to put my car back to stock and it sounds like whether you go with tape or screws, that is not going to happen with these.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:14 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
I think they are mounting to the stock scoop and not the fender. Not sure what a set of the stock scoops cost (maybe grab some used ones to experiment with) if you tape or screw them to the scoops and you wanted to go back to stock you could just swap the actual stock scoops.

Originally Posted by su_maverick
Thats honestly my biggest concern. I would like to be able to put my car back to stock and it sounds like whether you go with tape or screws, that is not going to happen with these.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:31 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gophaster
I think they are mounting to the stock scoop and not the fender. Not sure what a set of the stock scoops cost (maybe grab some used ones to experiment with) if you tape or screw them to the scoops and you wanted to go back to stock you could just swap the actual stock scoops.
I hear you.. just not sure how much I want to go looking for another set of scoops (added cost) and they will definitely be harder to find the older these cars get. If it was just a pure track car I wouldnt worry about it.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:27 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by su_maverick
The tape will come right off with a heat gun and goo gone or brake cleaner.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:12 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
The tape will come right off with a heat gun and goo gone or brake cleaner.
3M, maker of the VHB tape has a remover. First entry in the googlebox: multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/749752O/adhesives-catalog.pdf
vinyl stripes from acrylic enamel surfaces. ... solvent-based specialty adhesive remover. Part Number. 35976. 38983. 38984 ... 3M™ Tape and Residue Remover.

I'm sure new 996 OEM sidescoops are expensive, and having to repaint them will add cost...IF you ever want to go back to stock. People should realize that adding something to improve your car will add function (which requires new form), but going back to stock for future sale is always possible.

Last edited by DaveCarrera4S; 11-17-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:00 AM
ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !ccjimmyb Is a GOD !
I'm curious as to why everyone is so concerned on going back to stock ? There is no way I would give a crap what someone else wanted. If you don't like the way my car is move on. Just like you like the car someone else will come along who does like what you have done.

I personally would like to see some larger overall appearance pictures.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:04 AM
Vglnte1, yup....I've used goo gone many times in the past. I have a spray gel version. You put it on the adhesive and let it soak in for about an hour or so and it basically just peels right of. The stuff breaks down the adhesive.

You know those big stickers they plaster on your window for parking where you're not supposed to. Well my dad got one on his cts cadi I sprayed the goo gone all over the front of the sticker, waited 30 min and it came off easily in one piece. Had I left it a little longer it would have peeled itself off.

Last edited by gophaster; 11-17-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:45 AM
b4stiTTS has a spectacular aura aboutb4stiTTS has a spectacular aura about
all pics I was able to find! Maybe These help

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4428.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	432915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4429.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	980.8 KB
ID:	432916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4430.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	432917  
Attached Images            
Old 11-17-2015, 08:25 AM
For me it's a philosophy of life rather than caring what someone else wants...lol I have been tinkering with cars since before I could drive and there was always a desire to be able to reverse things back to how the car was originally. The challenge is to have the car just the way you want it but staying within the confines of being able to reverse it back to stock, just for the sake of being able to do it. In all the years and all the cars I have bought/customized/sold I have never returned the car to stock when I've sold it. BUT, it's nice to be able to have all the parts that go along with the car just in case. For example...I would never cut into a fender to install a body kit or cut a wire to install a stereo system...I'd find a way to interface without cutting.

That's not to say I don't appreciate a car with an amazing body kit or stereo system that throws everything out the window...I just personally can't do it that way...sometimes I wish I could

As for these scoops, the fact that they attach to the scoops is great. If for any reason you ever want to remove them and something goes wrong it's not a big deal, you have options. I like that

Originally Posted by ccjimmyb
I'm curious as to why everyone is so concerned on going back to stock ? There is no way I would give a crap what someone else wanted. If you don't like the way my car is move on. Just like you like the car someone else will come along who does like what you have done.

I personally would like to see some larger overall appearance pictures.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Former Vendor
Joe Toth is a jewel in the roughJoe Toth is a jewel in the roughJoe Toth is a jewel in the roughJoe Toth is a jewel in the rough
Hi guys. Had a bit of an issue with sponsorship or lack thereof. I guess a 65 year old guy can't make stuff no one else does for the shear joy of being an enthusiast. I didn't want to set the world on fire making P-car pieces. It's a hobby as I am passionate about these cars.....happen to be on my seventh one right now.
Well now I am a sponsor and I guess a business. I am working with a person to try and bring the original thread back but it may not be here.
Anyway the scoops are being made in black gel coat/fiberglass and carbon fiber. As a matter of fact first sets are shipping tomorrow. I am hesitant to talk pricing here until I know all the rules of my sponsorship so please email tei@telus.net or facebook "Joe Toth Composites" hell even phone if you'd like to chat 604-329-9391. I will answer all your questions.
Thank you all for your support.
Joe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where did the side intake scoop thread go?