996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Numeric Racing Vs Cup Shifter and Cables

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 05:07 PM
turbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond repute
Numeric Racing Vs Cup Shifter and Cables

When we bring the Motor down again to Deal with the issues we have, what shifter and cable setup would you guys recommend? I'm on the fence between Porsche Cup setup or Numeric Racing which is a Local company for me here in FL ? Banging gears on a 500hp setup Vs my 1200hp has to be different so your comments would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 12-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
heres the thing for me. the numeric is all aluminum frame and spherical bearings at the pivot points. its rifle bolt action and i rarely if ever miss a gear with it. had the crap plastic housing with a b&m before and missed gears all the time.

if the cup unit is anything less than a full aluminum frame pass on it. my numeric never moves even a tiny bit and dan stands behind his product 100%. someone complained about the shifter having a tiny bit of slop in it. they sent him a new setup with a double row bearing to fix it. nothing wrong with mine but i asked about it. dan sent me the new parts free of charge and paid the shipping as well

Old 12-01-2015, 05:51 PM
irish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to all
I have the numeric shifter and cup cables. I had the factory 997 SSK before and compared to what I have now, it is like comparing a 67 vw beetle to my turbo. With the power you have and the amount of money into it, I would get the numeric shifter and numeric cables 100%. Shifts solid as hell.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
heres the thing for me. the numeric is all aluminum frame and spherical bearings at the pivot points. its rifle bolt action and i rarely if ever miss a gear with it. had the crap plastic housing with a b&m before and missed gears all the time.

if the cup unit is anything less than a full aluminum frame pass on it. my numeric never moves even a tiny bit and dan stands behind his product 100%. someone complained about the shifter having a tiny bit of slop in it. they sent him a new setup with a double row bearing to fix it. nothing wrong with mine but i asked about it. dan sent me the new parts free of charge and paid the shipping as well
The B&M shifter is literally the worse shifter to use as a comparison IMHO. I have driven several cars with B&M shifters several being 996 and all are notchy and horrible. This is not a good representation of the plastic housing. This is the shifter geometry. The 997 GT3 shifter is basically a factory 997 shifter with metal bushings identical to what the B&M comes with. But because the shifter itself and geometry is stock the shifter is smooth and precise.

The cup(996GT3cup)shifter is the same concept as the 997GT3 shifter. The 997 GT3cup is sequential and not compatible.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
The B&M shifter is literally the worse shifter to use as a comparison IMHO. I have driven several cars with B&M shifters several being 996 and all are notchy and horrible. This is not a good representation of the plastic housing. This is the shifter geometry. The 997 GT3 shifter is basically a factory 997 shifter with metal bushings identical to what the B&M comes with. But because the shifter itself and geometry is stock the shifter is smooth and precise.

The cup(996GT3cup)shifter is the same concept as the 997GT3 shifter. The 997 GT3cup is sequential and not compatible.
thats what came with my car so thats the comparison i have to use. my opinion is that any housing made out of plastic is a weak link. when I'm drag racing I'm banging the snot out of the shifter. its not a easy take your time motion. its brutal and hard. plastic cracks metal stands the test of time. any of the factory shifters use a plastic housing then thats enough to fail for me. numeric and done. worth every penny

Old 12-01-2015, 08:22 PM
turbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond repute
Steve from what John told me the Cup shifter is the way to go but we never did discuss the Numeric. I would just like to see if anyone has compared the both. I know they should be close in comparison from what I gather.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:05 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbodanny
Steve from what John told me the Cup shifter is the way to go but we never did discuss the Numeric. I would just like to see if anyone has compared the both. I know they should be close in comparison from what I gather.
Hey Danny. You know I hate most of the aftermarket shiat out there. Just been burned way too many times. In most cases it just doesn't measure up. Oftentimes lots of fancy bells and whistles but in the end these often come with drawbacks.

The Numeric is a nice shifter. Steve and others have had good luck with the Numeric stuff and are very happy which is understandable. Others much less so. Do a quick google search on Numeric shifter failures and cable failures. You will find numerous threads out there of some ticked off people due to shifter bearing failures, shift rod failures, etc.

Try to find reports of Cup shifter or Cup cable failures. You won't find any. That's telling. The Cup shifter is a non adjustable, simple, beefy, no frills Porsche Motorsport part. Same with the cables. I like simple race proven stuff that works. Simple=reliable. My $0.02... If you decide to go that way, I will say that ideally you will want to install the Cup shifter along with the Cup cables and the Cup transmission shift lever as it was all designed to work together as a package. Installation of the Cup shift lever requires removal of the gear box case which may be a deterrent due to the labor involved.

In the end you have to make up your mind for yourself what the best product is for your application. Lots of choices. CAE has a strong following also. Looks interesting and it is a German made part.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 12-01-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:15 AM
Hey John, I could always count on you for your Knowledge and input. The Cae shifter I wouldn't want because of the height. The Cup Setup I haven't even priced yet. What's the Ball park on the Cup setup?

Old 12-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !
CAE or Cup Shifter............or possibly SQS shifter......

Old 12-02-2015, 10:32 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbodanny
Hey John, I could always count on you for your Knowledge and input. The Cae shifter I wouldn't want because of the height. The Cup Setup I haven't even priced yet. What's the Ball park on the Cup setup?
Cables+shifter+lever comes to about $1100, give or take..

Old 12-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Cables+shifter+lever comes to about $1100, give or take..
600$ for the numeric 400 for the cables and 0$ for the plastic housing which it doesn't have

Old 12-02-2015, 04:49 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
thats what came with my car so thats the comparison i have to use. my opinion is that any housing made out of plastic is a weak link. when I'm drag racing I'm banging the snot out of the shifter. its not a easy take your time motion. its brutal and hard. plastic cracks metal stands the test of time. any of the factory shifters use a plastic housing then thats enough to fail for me. numeric and done. worth every penny
I get it. Never driven the Numeric. Heard good things. I just know the Cup parts are tried and proven in a road course. And that is a bit different than drag racing though.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:00 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I have the Numeric as well moving up from a B&M. I have the cables but am using the stock ones right now. The shifter is very precise and has close to zero play. Issues with shafts snapping were addressed with a redesign and customers taken care of so far as I know. It's all CNC aluminum, brass bushings, and very nice aircraft ends.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by VAGscum
I get it. Never driven the Numeric. Heard good things. I just know the Cup parts are tried and proven in a road course. And that is a bit different than drag racing though.
I'm sure the cup car parts are well built pieces. i know john won't have anything less than the best on his car. if you watch road racers the amount of time shifting is turtle slow compared to drag racing. we shift hard fast and often. anytime i can replace plastic with aluminum its a win for me. your results may vary!

Old 12-02-2015, 10:07 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
cup/997/gt. shifter + stock cables for street/non-'competitive' roadcourse.
6cup/7GT2/3 shifter + cup cables for full track car or comp./drag/frequent gearbox rebuild cars

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing Vs Cup Shifter and Cables