996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Numeric Racing Vs Cup Shifter and Cables

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:06 PM
turbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone have any info on a sequential setup? What's it running now days and do they convert your gearbox or you have to buy one?

Last edited by turbodanny; 12-03-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:14 PM
turbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE="turbodanny;4436721"]my present setup is from CMS, do they do these?

Last edited by turbodanny; 12-03-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:56 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbodanny
Does anyone have any info on a sequential setup? What's it running now days and do they convert your gearbox or you have to buy one?
Hey Danny,
I have experience with the SQS shifter. Sold one here a while back. If you go that route, just be aware that they are hard on the synchros so be ready for more frequent gearbox refresh intervals. They are also relatively complex which ultimately impacts overall reliability. I personally would not get one.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:51 AM
jonniesbr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Hey Danny. You know I hate most of the aftermarket shiat out there. Just been burned way too many times. In most cases it just doesn't measure up. Oftentimes lots of fancy bells and whistles but in the end these often come with drawbacks.

The Numeric is a nice shifter. Steve and others have had good luck with the Numeric stuff and are very happy which is understandable. Others much less so. Do a quick google search on Numeric shifter failures and cable failures. You will find numerous threads out there of some ticked off people due to shifter bearing failures, shift rod failures, etc.

Try to find reports of Cup shifter or Cup cable failures. You won't find any. That's telling. The Cup shifter is a non adjustable, simple, beefy, no frills Porsche Motorsport part. Same with the cables. I like simple race proven stuff that works. Simple=reliable. My $0.02... If you decide to go that way, I will say that ideally you will want to install the Cup shifter along with the Cup cables and the Cup transmission shift lever as it was all designed to work together as a package. Installation of the Cup shift lever requires removal of the gear box case which may be a deterrent due to the labor involved.

In the end you have to make up your mind for yourself what the best product is for your application. Lots of choices. CAE has a strong following also. Looks interesting and it is a German made part.

looking for the cup shifter for my 997.1 turbo but cant find a link to buy it, can anyone help me?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:14 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jonniesbr

looking for the cup shifter for my 997.1 turbo but cant find a link to buy it, can anyone help me?
They have been discontinued.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:08 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
What John said. The closest thing to the cup shifter is to install B&M bushings but maintain the stock shifter. I have heard some people say the cup shift lever is a longer throw than the stock turbo, but everything besides the bushing on the Cup shifter appears to be the exact same. Basically the cup shifter is a metal bushing housing with a nylon bushing insert just like what B&M does. But B&M shifter lever also shortens throw. I would run just the bushings and move on. Or, get the Function First shifter like the Cup guys are moving on to.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:46 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
997.2 GT3 shifter comes with metal bushings already.. best option on the market since cup is no longer available. paired with cup cables, it is perfect

Old 12-08-2018, 02:03 PM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
Had an experience with the numeric shifter and it was great but I want more so when I went for a full motor/trans build I switched to CAE and never looked back.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:54 AM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
heres the thing for me. the numeric is all aluminum frame and spherical bearings at the pivot points. its rifle bolt action and i rarely if ever miss a gear with it. had the crap plastic housing with a b&m before and missed gears all the time.

if the cup unit is anything less than a full aluminum frame pass on it. my numeric never moves even a tiny bit and dan stands behind his product 100%. someone complained about the shifter having a tiny bit of slop in it. they sent him a new setup with a double row bearing to fix it. nothing wrong with mine but i asked about it. dan sent me the new parts free of charge and paid the shipping as well
Do you have Dan's info? I have the shifter and am not 100% happy with it. Its a bit notchy for me and harder to get into gear than B&M. I have both Numerical shifter and cables. Thinking about going with 997.2 GT3 shifter.

Thanks,

David