996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

245/35/18 front tire on oem twist 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 10:26 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
all that math re the revs per mile suggest an awd stock setup, no? as we all know, if you're awd?, then the rev per mile "differential" isn't as critical to the front differential lol. i have found that the best tire widths ( 225 VS 235 etc ) remain constant whether awd or rwd. it's really the wheel sizes that provide for the most difference in ride quality/handling etc. VS the minimal width differences of sizes that will properly fit on oem twists.
Tire rotation can also effect abs. Because our car has a threshold of front to rear revolution ratios that won't negatively create ABS issues.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:16 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i did not know that, thanks. but if our cars have a "negative threshold that won't create abs issues"(?)

then i'm not sure i follow your point and i've misunderstood. my point was simply that the adherence to the suggested tolerances the AWD system requires to operate as intended, demands that the rear tires rotate faster than the fronts and some degree of torque is always transmitted rear to front, hence Porsche claims of a nominal minimum split of 5%FR 95%RR. this from mcbits explanation from an old post says it better than i can: given that, "The torque transmitted to the front wheels will increase with speed as the differential speed across the viscous coupling also increase with speed. The nominal split assigned by Porsche may be questionable since OEM Bridgestones on a tt have have a rev per mile difference of 14 front to rear while with OEM Michelins the rev per mile difference is only 3 which means there should also be a difference in torque transmission. This also suggests that Porsche feel that a 3.8% (14/837) difference in the rev per mile rating rev rating is OK for the components of the awd system."

so it appears the necessity of staying within the vaunted 3%+/- front to rear has more to do with the front differential needing the rears be equal or taller than fronts so that undue and constant friction isn't always heating the viscous fluid to the front diff.. but again, if you're saying that the ratios also impact the abs system? ok, not knowing any differently? i'll go with that, thanks. but again, obviously if running rwd? then none of the foregoing actually applies. at least not as relates the front differential. but abs affected? again, didn't know that.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:44 AM
LuvPorsche will become famous soon enough
255/35 works too but you probably wouldn't track with that size and stock rim.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:54 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
i did not know that, thanks. but if our cars have a "negative threshold that won't create abs issues"(?)

then i'm not sure i follow your point and i've misunderstood. my point was simply that the adherence to the suggested tolerances the AWD system requires to operate as intended, demands that the rear tires rotate faster than the fronts and some degree of torque is always transmitted rear to front, hence Porsche claims of a nominal minimum split of 5%FR 95%RR. this from mcbits explanation from an old post says it better than i can: given that, "The torque transmitted to the front wheels will increase with speed as the differential speed across the viscous coupling also increase with speed. The nominal split assigned by Porsche may be questionable since OEM Bridgestones on a tt have have a rev per mile difference of 14 front to rear while with OEM Michelins the rev per mile difference is only 3 which means there should also be a difference in torque transmission. This also suggests that Porsche feel that a 3.8% (14/837) difference in the rev per mile rating rev rating is OK for the components of the awd system."

so it appears the necessity of staying within the vaunted 3%+/- front to rear has more to do with the front differential needing the rears be equal or taller than fronts so that undue and constant friction isn't always heating the viscous fluid to the front diff.. but again, if you're saying that the ratios also impact the abs system? ok, not knowing any differently? i'll go with that, thanks. but again, obviously if running rwd? then none of the foregoing actually applies. at least not as relates the front differential. but abs affected? again, didn't know that.
VAG is correct. The stock ABS system starts to freak out once you get in excess of 1" or larger differential in diameters. Becomes more susceptible to ice mode when pushed hard. Not really an issue for street use but becomes problematic on track especially bumpy ones. That's one of the reasons why I switched to the Cup ABS which has logic for higher thresholds and also programmed for a +1" larger rear tire. There is also no ice mode programmed into the motorsport ABS

Last edited by pwdrhound; 11-18-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:31 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I have been running 245/40/18, Conti DW, fronts for many years now on stock rims. .. Rear is 295/35/18.
No problems rubbing.

I also run these exact size on the stock twists with no issues at all, primarily did not go to the 315/30 18 due to very limited choices in the tires, the conti DW's really work well for the car, very smooth and quiet. I'll try the Pilot super sports next go round tho, now that they are available in the same sizes

front 25.7" rear 26.0 btw

lol on a side note tire rack has the Conti DW on sale 295's for 183.00 each and a 70.00 rebate card on a set, fronts are 139.00 pretty good pricing

Last edited by DERBOOST; 11-21-2016 at 11:38 AM.