996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Good Aero wing on 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 07:34 AM
cyneric is infamous around these parts
Good Aero wing on 996TT

I've been talking to Good Aero about building a swan neck mounted wing for my 996 turbo. The biggest concern is finding a decklid that will be able to withstand the downforce that the wing will produce. Has anybody put one of these on their cars and if so which decklid did you use? Did you have to reinforce anything?

Thanks for the help!

-Cyneric

Old 11-18-2016, 10:40 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Most don't attach to the decklid but go through it to the car's chassis

Old 11-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Good to know! How do they open the decklid then? Remove the wing uprights?

Old 11-18-2016, 11:07 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cyneric
I've been talking to Good Aero about building a swan neck mounted wing for my 996 turbo. The biggest concern is finding a decklid that will be able to withstand the downforce that the wing will produce. Has anybody put one of these on their cars and if so which decklid did you use? Did you have to reinforce anything?

Thanks for the help!

-Cyneric
Not to criticize or anything, but why this versus the other available options? Is the goal mainly aesthetic driven or function? Because you could likely get good results modifying a turbo decklid to mount metal uprights that attach to a cup wing. Or even the wing you suggest. One member here modified the turbo decklid and build a custom 997 GT3RS style wing that turned out well. Then the other option would be to buy a Techart style lid spoiler that utilizes metal uprights and modify whatever spoiler you desire to work. I also recall a reputable company making a full CUP lid solution which just needed paint to be fitted.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess the answer is both. I still drive the car on the street but would rather have a fast track car than a great street car. My goal is mainly performance driven but aesthetics are a factor.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:04 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
A wing should never be mounted to a Trunk always to the frame. if you want it to work efficiently that is

Old 11-19-2016, 12:32 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

LolA getty type decklid will work. Frame mounting isnt needed on Porsche's, even cup cars. There is ample support under the decklid. The goal is to get air flowing underneath the wing anyways, not pressing down on it. Front engine cars mount to chassy because the trunk lids are flimsy.

Last edited by heavychevy; 11-19-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy

LolA getty type decklid will work. Frame mounting isnt needed on Porsche's, even cup cars. There is ample support under the decklid. The goal is to get air flowing underneath the wing anyways, not pressing down on it. Front engine cars mount to chassy because the trunk lids are flimsy.
HeavyChevy,

Is that your car? I've been talking to Mark at Getty and there were some concerns about the support of the wing but that picture looks like a getty decklid and cup wing. I guess I could always fabricate some reinforcement if need be.

Regards,

Cyneric

Old 11-19-2016, 07:40 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Yes. What were the concerns?

Old 11-19-2016, 07:54 AM
Mainly the amount of downforce and stress on the decklid itself. Your car looks awesome! That rear diffuser is sweet! Custom made?

Old 11-19-2016, 09:51 AM
Mainly the amount of downforce and stress on the decklid itself. Your car looks awesome! That rear diffuser is sweet! Custom made?

Getty builds a lot of decklids for a lot of race cars. I tested mine up to 170 mph regularly for almost a decade now with no issues. The question would be if you top mounted it or bottom mounted it. I see a lot of good aero wings are top mounted. With it being so far back, that could present a lever effect and stress the lid that way but these are well built units. I'm looking to put a 70 inch wing on mine at some point. Right now at 63. You will only run as much DF as you can balance with the front DF. Honestly I don't think that will be the issue.

The diffuser is more like hommade by me and my mechanic out of some alumalite. The whole bottom is covered with it.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:31 AM
I plan on going with a top mounted wing that is about 70". Do you know of any differences in strength between FRP and CF in the Getty decklids with more of a lever type stress on the mount?

Do you have any issues with overheating when you're running with all of that alumalite under the motor?

Old 11-19-2016, 11:45 AM
I plan on going with a top mounted wing that is about 70". Do you know of any differences in strength between FRP and CF in the Getty decklids with more of a lever type stress on the mount?

Do you have any issues with overheating when you're running with all of that alumalite under the motor?
I have only run the fiberglass. No idea about the CF but its usually very strong (yet brittle)

Yeah, its definitely hotter back there with the alumalite. Never while driving though always when I pull off from a session and partially because I have no fan.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I put 1/8 inch steel inside the deck lid to mount my 3/8 aluminum uprights. I don't know how other manufacturers do it, but it is extremely strong and I wouldn't hesitate to stand on the wing.

The whole thread about it is here... DIY - GT3-RS-Wing

Old 11-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Awesome car! Thanks for the info and link to the thread. Super helpful.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.