996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Retrofitting Bose?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:36 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Question Retrofitting Bose?!?

I've just started playing around with replacing the PCM1 in my car.
I don't know much/anything about car audio, but I'm learning.

I've read than when replacing the PCM1 head-unit you can't use the OEM amplifier (apparently the PCM1 has the DSP signal built into it, and without it the amp won't function)

Options seem to be:
1: Bypass the amp
2: Replace the amp

If I start doing things like this I'm wondering...Should I install the BOSE subwoofer? And if so do my HiFi speakers complement it, or would they need changing too?

My car is an early 2000/2001
It has the following specs....

PCM1
HiFi Audio (Speakers in the Dash, Doors, Rear Quarters)
CD Changer
Telephone

Would I see much benefit from adding a subwoofer?
If so I'd like to keep it as OEM looking as possible, so i'd either use the BOSE Subwoofer, or just use the BOSE enclosure and fit aftermarket parts to it

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

Old 02-17-2018, 10:07 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I didn't have Bose, but I replaced everything. I started with the head unit - just replacing that and bypassing the amp was a huge improvement. Then I put in a PDX-5 amp and new speakers all around. Now, I have decent sound. I put in dual subs in an enclosure I made. I put it where the Bose amp would go. I figured, as long as I bas putting a box there and I had room, I might as well add another couple of speakers. I'm quite happy with the result.

Not quite OEM, but I like it...

Old 02-18-2018, 06:57 AM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
do whatever it takes to install the modern headunit (besides cutting the factory harness)... just did a Kenwood HU install in my GT2, just for modern BT/aux-in etc(more for passengers than me, lol), and am impressed with the sound quality change too...
A 6tt with 6 speaker system should sound even better, particularly if upgrading speakers as well, even just running off the HU
thinking of doing a basic upgrade to my dad's 6tt system (has BOSE), I'll try to look at the harness again...

Old 02-18-2018, 08:13 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
There is a kit available on EBay that will allow you to replace your head unit without having to cut any wires. It includes a cage for a double din. I think it was around $200.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 AM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
I used this one and it rocks. Very clean install. $150

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X6DDIN.html

Old 02-18-2018, 08:53 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Thanks guys.
I've got everything I need with the exception of the wiring.

I had planned on just buying a wiring harness adapter, but then heard stories about the OEM amp not working when the PCM system is removed. Apparently it's fine if you just had a single DIN radio/cc/cd player, but the PCM controls the DSP and if you remove it PCM the amp won't work (I think that's what's being said anyway)

I've just seen one of these connectors:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/P...Item/CT53-PO01

and that looks like it'll do what I need it to. I don't know exactly what it does though. I can't see whether it bypasses the amp or does something else which allows the amp to function once the PCM is removed.

Basically, I was thinking....If I start messing around much more maybe I should put the OEM sub box in, but that would probably need a different amp with an additional channel, which would mean the adaptor I've linked to would be useless.

Hmmmm

Old 02-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
My car is 04, which means fiber optic... I'm not sure about the earlier cars. Hopefully someone else will jump in and help you out.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:29 AM
Did you checkout Car Audio Innovations out of California? They have a pretty helpful website. Lots of tech info about different options and compatibility.

Last edited by Stebo; 02-18-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:40 AM
EDITED to confirm: The information in this post is incorrect for my vehicle

Am I right in saying......

• My PCM1 car has 10 speakers and a 4 channel amplifier

• There are two 2-way speakers in the Dash (4 speakers in total)
• There is one speaker in each Door (2 speakers in total)
• There are two 2-way speakers in the Rear Quarters (4 speakers in total)

• The Front Left (Dash) speaker runs on the same channel as the Rear Left (Rear Quarter) speaker.....eg. Channel 1
• The Front Right (Dash) speaker runs on the same channel as the Rear Right (Rear Quarter) speaker.....eg. Channel 2

• The Rear Speakers are wired out of phase compared to the Front Speakers

• The Left Door speaker is wired to it's own channel....eg. Channel 3
• The Right Door speaker is wired to it's own channel....eg. Channel 4

• If I added the OEM BOSE Sub I'd need an amp with a 5th Channel

Last edited by ant_8u; 02-19-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:20 AM
From what I'm seeing in the CAI how-to/ tech articles... looks like bose subs have their own separate amp. (Mine did on my 04 as well) So yeah, you'd need that too... or install an aftermarket amp with more channels.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:35 AM
Thanks.
I'm reading through the CAI site now.

Also, I've been out to my car and it seems I wasn't quite right.....

My car has a 6x40 amp in the frunk, so each of my speakers has it's own separate channel.
So, does this mean my head-unit pumps 4 channels into the amp, and the amp outputs 6 channels to the speakers?

My amp doesn't have DSP written on it, so that's at least one less thing to confuse the situation.

So, as a car audio newb, I'm wondering how I connect my 4 channel Aftermarket head-unit to my 6 channel amp....and now i know I'm currently using six channels in my HiFi Stereo would my set-up be better or worse by adding the OEM BOSE sub?..assuming the speakers would work together

Last edited by ant_8u; 02-18-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Here is some wiring info...

Here is what I did:

Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 993GT
do whatever it takes to install the modern headunit (besides cutting the factory harness)... just did a Kenwood HU install in my GT2, just for modern BT/aux-in etc(more for passengers than me, lol), and am impressed with the sound quality change too...
A 6tt with 6 speaker system should sound even better, particularly if upgrading speakers as well, even just running off the HU
thinking of doing a basic upgrade to my dad's 6tt system (has BOSE), I'll try to look at the harness again...
Whichbhead unit did you do? Did you also replace speakers?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:42 AM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
Kenwood KDC-X501, stock speakers... surprised what the stock 4" paper are doing, was going to replace but probably won't now...
Straight piped GT2 will never be a concert hall so perfect for what it is

Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
Whichbhead unit did you do? Did you also replace speakers?

Old 02-20-2018, 12:24 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 993GT
Kenwood KDC-X501, stock speakers... surprised what the stock 4" paper are doing, was going to replace but probably won't now...
Straight piped GT2 will never be a concert hall so perfect for what it is

thanks, i did the speakers, but need to get rid of the headunit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting Bose?!?