996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stock Intake or No

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:37 PM
The Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond repute
Stock Intake or No

Just wondering what the modded guys are running for intake set ups? Anyone >600whp with the stock box and paper filter? If not what are you running?

Old 03-31-2016, 04:43 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
I bought another stock lid and cut it. Made a noticeable difference too. Fabspeed sells a similar idea for $800

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150713_134736.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	444440  
Old 03-31-2016, 05:17 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BauerR
I bought another stock lid and cut it. Made a noticeable difference too. Fabspeed sells a similar idea for $800
That's a good idea. I'll probably do the same.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
The best way to improve the intake air flow is to replace the restrictive OEM plumbing to the turbos with larger diameter piping such as this intake system pictured below. Air box/filter modifications don't really do anything meaningful for performance, whereas, larger plumbing with a hi-flow plenum on an upgraded car will...

OEM plumbing removed from car for comparison:

There is no no comparison if you are looking to improve air flow, especially when running higher boost, larger turbos or both...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 03-31-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:17 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BauerR
That is called a "hot air" intake. Bad idea....

Old 03-31-2016, 06:18 PM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
John, I agree but doesn't the motor have to come out for that intake piping?

Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by YJosephTT
It really does. Even lowered 6 inches or so it would be a huge pain. The black plastic intake piping is made by Evoms. It does not fit really well and it helps tremendously if you cut it into several more sections that will allow you to position it properly. When I was installing mine I wanted to run down to Arizona and smash it over their heads. With that said, once all the cursing, cutting, and modding is done, I think it's the best solution you can use as it is larger diameter and thick walled with great heat insulating properties which makes it nearly indestructible. I can not really fathom how you'd install it with the engine in the car. I run those with a large volume RUF intake manifold and it works very well. I ended up making one more cut near the passenger side turbo to make it all fit.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rsTHup]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rH45S9]

Old 03-31-2016, 06:40 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
It really does. Even lowered 6 inches or so it would be a huge pain. The black plastic intake piping is made by Evoms. It does not fit really well and it helps tremendously if you cut it into several more sections that will allow you to position it properly. When I was installing mine I wanted to run down to Arizona and smash it over their heads. With that said, once all the cursing, cutting, and modding is done, I think it's the best solution you can use as it is larger diameter and thick walled with great heat insulating properties which makes it nearly indestructible. I can not really fathom how you'd install it with the engine in the car. I run those with a large volume RUF intake manifold and it works very well. I ended up making one more cut near the passenger side turbo to make it all fit.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rsTHup]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rH45S9]
did mine with the engine in the car. cursed at every evoms person i could find. john at speedtech and everyone in my subdivision!! this needs to be cut into about 5 pieces and even then the fitment is crap. couldnt wait to sell mine and glad its gone

Old 03-31-2016, 06:42 PM
The Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
The best way to improve the intake air flow is to replace the restrictive OEM plumbing to the turbos with larger diameter piping such as this intake system pictured below. Air box/filter modifications don't really do anything meaningful for performance, whereas, larger plumbing with a hi-flow plenum on an upgraded car will...

There is no no comparison if you are looking to improve air flow, especially when running higher boost, larger turbos or both...
Good info, I too have replaced my plumbing and was wondering if the stock box with the single outlet would be a bottleneck on the system.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by YJosephTT
I used Markski's flexible setup and was able to do it with the engine just lowered. Cutting out the OEM unit was a bit of a pain but I already pulled the tranny for a clutch install so it wasn't that bad. The rigid setup would be very difficult to install even with the tranny pulled though, I wouldn't want to try it.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:30 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Best is as little restriction as possible, even with larger tubing that's still about 5ft+ of tubing it's breathing through if not more. I've never seen anyone do a pressure drop test at the turbo inlet but I'll bet it's nowhere near zero, anyone willing? If it's low enough restriction I'd be interested but that's an awful lot of tubing.

Filters on the turbos is going to be "best" from a restriction standpoint but I'd be happiest drawing air above the intercoolers with fender piping as a compromise as it would be out of the way. This would obviously be MAFless! Certainly one of the more controversial questions and the answer comes partly down to how. I have power you intend to make...

Old 04-01-2016, 04:51 AM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
I fitted this hard pipework that i bought from Al Norton on here with the engine in place, few cut knuckles but wasn't too bad a job.

Name:  piping1_1.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  piping21.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  DSCF0609.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  DSCF0611.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  59.2 KB

Old 04-01-2016, 08:58 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
That is called a "hot air" intake. Bad idea....
If your car is a daily driver that involves a lot of stop and go traffic, perhaps.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:43 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
I would say that the stock intake pipes are the most restrictive thing on our car in stock form. If you have ever taken the pipes off and looked at how tiny they are you will understand. The flexible pipes I'd say for may are the easiest way to go to fix this but if not installed right can rub through. If you're going mafless, fender intakes are even better. Overall changing from stock will net you faster spool, more hp, and lower egts.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:35 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I installed this years ago...then the 997 went to dual...to copy me

Last edited by wross996TT; 05-23-2016 at 11:47 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock Intake or No