996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Crazy ZO6 crash!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:43 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Life Dies
Don't try and cover up the fullest extent of your resentment towards me with that stupid smiley icon.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:30 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
What the hell does a high IQ have to do with driving skills and better yet common sense? Plenty of smart people are idiots.
Isn't that the truth!

Old 12-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Super D
Get that pathetic look out of my face.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:48 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Get that pathetic look out of my face.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
LOL - now that one made me laugh. Where did you find it?

Old 12-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Dabum is an unknown quantity at this point
For all the "This wouldnt happen to a porsche driver" comments, I've owned 2 porsches, one was a 97' TT. I love them, but must we forget the CGT's who have landed in ditches and being banked on little road medians?

:O

Old 12-20-2005, 06:32 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Dabum
For all the "This wouldnt happen to a porsche driver" comments, I've owned 2 porsches, one was a 97' TT. I love them, but must we forget the CGT's who have landed in ditches and being banked on little road medians?

:O
The incidence where the CGT ended up in a ditch involved the mechanic not the owner. One can easily show a direct correlation between lack of experience (or intelligence), high levels of power, defective hardware and the likelihood of a crash. A flawed 400+hp vehicle (e.g. Z06) + an idiot driver is the receipt for disaster. Low power machinery built to perfection (e.g. any modern Porsche) with high IQ driver results fewer crashes. Anyone can see this .. I feel sorry for you if you don’t. For safety data on domestic vehicles look at the recall rates on GM products and assess the intelligence level of the typical Vette owners on a Chevy forum. None of this is substitute for experience of course .. something required to operate high powered vehicles.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Duff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch, hopfully the driver is alright.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:30 PM
DeAd-EyE is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by quartermile
A flawed 400+hp vehicle (e.g. Z06) + an idiot driver is the receipt for disaster.
what are the main flaws in the design of the Z06?

leaf springs?
the FR layout being prone to tailhappiness?

(no sarcasm, legitimate question as i am infact interested in you opinion on this issue. I was under the impression that an FR car is more easy to recover when it lets go, as opposed to say an MR car, which spins around on itself quite fast. Then again the FR cars i've driven had 300HP and less.)

Old 12-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
was doing 145 mph a few years back in my old 97 993 in in the left lane when a lady( in a boxter) for that matter- went 3 lane across into mine from a ramp. I hesitated for less then a split second... i did 3 180s on lake Shore drive in downtown chicago and managed to get the car under control without touching anything.
So yes... I do believe from first hand experience that our cars are great. I was with a professional rally driver from Europe.. he wanted to go for a ride in my car. My mistake was taht we didnt go on the usual route... and I didnt know the road that well- didnt anticipate the ramp and the lady to come 3 lanes into mine.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-21-2005, 12:53 AM
02TT_87GNX is on a distinguished road
The incidence where the CGT ended up in a ditch involved the mechanic not the owner. One can easily show a direct correlation between lack of experience (or intelligence), high levels of power, defective hardware and the likelihood of a crash. A flawed 400+hp vehicle (e.g. Z06) + an idiot driver is the receipt for disaster. Low power machinery built to perfection (e.g. any modern Porsche) with high IQ driver results fewer crashes. Anyone can see this .. I feel sorry for you if you don’t. For safety data on domestic vehicles look at the recall rates on GM products and assess the intelligence level of the typical Vette owners on a Chevy forum. None of this is substitute for experience of course .. something required to operate high powered vehicles.
You sound really intelligent... the smartest of all dumbasses!

Flawed 400hp vehicle????
+Idiot driver???
Reciept for disaster? - I think you meant recipe, smart guy.

Get your head out of your *** and realize that lots of Porsche drivers destroy plenty of cars like the corvette Z06 guys do. Read the LA times someday and see how many barneys wreck their p-cars on the way out to malibu.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:25 AM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by DeAd-EyE
what are the main flaws in the design of the Z06?

leaf springs?
the FR layout being prone to tailhappiness?

(no sarcasm, legitimate question as i am infact interested in you opinion on this issue. I was under the impression that an FR car is more easy to recover when it lets go, as opposed to say an MR car, which spins around on itself quite fast. Then again the FR cars i've driven had 300HP and less.)

Let me first say that GM has top notch engineers no doubt (know a few) and the Vette does not really have any “design flaws”. It was designed “to spec” at a price point and intended for a certain crowd. It happens some of us don’t fit the target customer profile and willing to pay a premium for precision race motors, 200 way adjustable suspensions, Brembos and Le Mans endurance in our daily driver … tried, tested and true.

OK here we go .. I can imagine the design specs from marketing director to engineering director Dave Hill went something like this:

“As you well know the Vette primary target customer base is the 50 year old country boy in a state of delinquent mid life crisis. Forget the 1,800cc, 1000hp four cylinder twin turbo prototype you guys have in the lab. The Vette guy needs to feel toque in his gut following a 32Oz steak, and is has to sound like good’ol American iron. That 4 banger motor is for *****’s and plus Ferrari has the V8,. You know the mid-engine prototype failed the focus group and Vettes need to maintain the classic “*****” shape, hot rod motor upfront. We don’t have the 430 headlight spy shot yet, just use the old one and we’ll rip the wheel design off it. Mod the Caddy V8 some more and give it a fancy new name. Also lift the power steering and brakes of the CTS. Don’t worry about overheating problems and race car feel ,,, most GM customers are too dumb to tell the difference and accustomed to numb steering, dull brakes and quality issues. New customers will just learn the hard way.

Optimize for highway speeds cuz we have big roads in America (the only feasible geographic) and ain’t no tight courses or traffic out in the country. Make it track half a foot wider than 996 (looks good on paper) big imported rubber, stiff suspension (leaf springs+heavy roll bars) to blow away the press at the skid pad. What are the chances somebody is gonna drive this thing fast in the rain on bumpy roads (likely cause of both crashes above.) Dump the high speed aerodynamic stabilizer (AKA wing) cuz it screws up the quarter trap speed and make it look like a ricer. Toss the idea of a Porsche monocoque chassis with metal panels and keep the steel ladder frame construction (truck chassis to save tooling cost) and plastic body panels to get the weight down. Everyone seemed to caught on with weight savings, so some CF parts would make for good bragging rights. Use a loud exhaust to cover the squeaks, rattles and cracking sounds (likely with the C6Z Aluminum frame). Crash protection (in the form of crumble zones) and roll protection is of no concern. Look how many country boys we lost in the war and nobody cares about casualties. Let’s not forget the important thing is GM’s bottom line and we are bleeding money. BTW, before I forget, how about some free trips to Germany? We can play at the Ring and may be Jan can produce some decent times. We’ll cheat if we have to, it’s great marketing. Some guys are suckers for rings times and that means more sales.”

My heart actually goes to the Corvette design team after writing this, cuz I know their hands were tied … excellent job considering.

Last edited by quartermile; 12-21-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Quartermile, that was damn funny.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:45 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Let me first say that GM has top notch engineers no doubt (know a few) and the Vette does not really have any “design flaws”. It was designed “to spec” at a price point and intended for a certain crowd. It happens some of us don’t fit the target customer profile and willing to pay a premium for precision race motors, 200 way adjustable suspensions, Brembos and Le Mans endurance in our daily driver … tried, tested and true.

OK here we go .. I can imagine the design specs from marketing director to engineering director Dave Hill went something like this:

“As you well know the Vette primary target customer base is the 50 year old country boy in a state of delinquent mid life crisis. Forget the 1,800cc, 1000hp four cylinder twin turbo prototype you guys have in the lab. The Vette guy needs to feel toque in his gut following a 32Oz steak, and is has to sound like good’ol American iron. That 4 banger motor is for *****’s and plus Ferrari has the V8,. You know the mid-engine prototype failed the focus group and Vettes need to maintain the classic “*****” shape, hot rod motor upfront. We don’t have the 430 headlight spy shot yet, just use the old one and we’ll rip the wheel design off it. Mod the Caddy V8 some more and give it a fancy new name. Also lift the power steering and brakes of the CTS. Don’t worry about overheating problems and race car feel ,,, most GM customers are too dumb to tell the difference and accustomed to numb steering, dull brakes and quality issues. New customers will just learn the hard way.

Optimize for highway speeds cuz we have big roads in America (the only feasible geographic) and ain’t no tight courses or traffic out in the country. Make it track half a foot wider than 996 (looks good on paper) big imported rubber, stiff suspension (leaf springs+heavy roll bars) to blow away the press at the skid pad. What are the chances somebody is gonna drive this thing fast in the rain on bumpy roads (likely cause of both crashes above.) Dump the high speed aerodynamic stabilizer (AKA wing) cuz it screws up the quarter trap speed and make it look like a ricer. Toss the idea of a Porsche monocoque chassis with metal panels and keep the steel ladder frame construction (truck chassis to save tooling cost) and plastic body panels to get the weight down. Everyone seemed to caught on with weight savings, so some CF parts would make for good bragging rights. Use a loud exhaust to cover the squeaks, rattles and cracking sounds (likely with the C6Z Aluminum frame). Crash protection (in the form of crumble zones) and roll protection is of no concern. Look how many country boys we lost in the war and nobody cares about casualties. Let’s not forget the important thing is GM’s bottom line and we are bleeding money. BTW, before I forget, how about some free trips to Germany? We can play at the Ring and may be Jan can produce some decent times. We’ll cheat if we have to, it’s great marketing. Some guys are suckers for rings times and that means more sales.”

My heart actually goes to the Corvette design team after writing this, cuz I know their hands were tied … excellent job considering.
That was great!

Old 12-21-2005, 02:22 PM
DBS996 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by MARKSKI
was doing 145 mph a few years back in my old 97 993 in in the left lane when a lady( in a boxter) for that matter- went 3 lane across into mine from a ramp. I hesitated for less then a split second... i did 3 180s on lake Shore drive in downtown chicago and managed to get the car under control without touching anything.
So yes... I do believe from first hand experience that our cars are great. I was with a professional rally driver from Europe.. he wanted to go for a ride in my car. My mistake was taht we didnt go on the usual route... and I didnt know the road that well- didnt anticipate the ramp and the lady to come 3 lanes into mine.
How is it even possible to do 145 on lake shore drive in anything other than a bike?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crazy ZO6 crash!