996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Crazy ZO6 crash!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
500 is not optimistic on pump gas. It's attainable. If your friend is having problems at 400, he needs a better tuner. Also a better engine. An SR20 is not 2.4l. The Ej205 is a version 3 or 4 STi block that was sand cast with closed deck heads.

Block strength is an issue. An open deck will flex under too much power, blowing a head gasket and the engine. The USDM v7 STi is 2.5, and I think all v8 STis are 2.5, but the older ones are not.

I have seen 500 hp 4cyls that meet CA emissions laws and are reliable. They do exist.

You're right that no car will put the driver in more danger than any other car, but that's assuming that said driver is driving correctly and responsibly. If you take some punk teenager who just watched the fast and the furious and suddenly thinks he knows everything about driving, he is more likely to kill himself and others in a corvette than he would in a ford focus. It has more power and can go to greater limits before losing control, which generates worse accidents. Hence this thread. No one would ever be able to move a full size trunk like that in an econobox.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:11 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Vitellius

So why do Lexus and just recently Cadillac both outsell BMW and Mercedes?
Aging world population. Lexus has everyone beat on interior noise, Cd is down to 0.26 and all the old farts want some piece and quiet so they buy Lexus. Caddy was the traditional old fart mobile and now you tell me so is the Z06 .. no suprise there. BTW GM beat McLaren F1' too so go figure.

I don't understand your comment about the data. I was joking about the 4 cylinder motor, and no I didn't overhear the conversation with Dave Hill. The rest must be accurate considering the source.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Vitellius is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Gramicci101
If your friend is having problems at 400, he needs a better tuner. Also a better engine. An SR20 is not 2.4l.
I don't know, the details I recall are 400hp, 2.4L and a Jap spec motor, maybe a stroker then?

Block strength is an issue. An open deck will flex under too much power, blowing a head gasket and the engine. The USDM v7 STi is 2.5, and I think all v8 STis are 2.5, but the older ones are not.
I agree that it is but I was just speaking about power with respect to detonation.

You're right that no car will put the driver in more danger than any other car, but that's assuming that said driver is driving correctly and responsibly. If you take some punk teenager who just watched the fast and the furious and suddenly thinks he knows everything about driving, he is more likely to kill himself and others in a corvette than he would in a ford focus. It has more power and can go to greater limits before losing control, which generates worse accidents. Hence this thread. No one would ever be able to move a full size trunk like that in an econobox.
I was referring to cars is comparable performance. Not something like a 150hp Focus and 500hp Corvette

Old 12-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Vitellius is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by quartermile
Aging world population. Lexus has everyone beat on interior noise, Cd is down to 0.26 and all the old farts want some piece and quiet so they buy Lexus. Caddy was the traditional old fart mobile
If you really think people only buy Lexus because of interior noise; in that case you obviously have never drove a Lexus or Cadillac.

and now you tell me so is the Z06 .. no suprise there. BTW GM beat McLaren F1' too so go figure.
Actually according to GM data, the median age of a Corvette buyer is 35-40.

The rest must be accurate considering the source.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:38 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Vitellius
If you really think people only buy Lexus because of interior noise; in that case you obviously have never drove a Lexus or Cadillac. Actually according to GM data, the median age of a Corvette buyer is 35-40.

I'll probably checkout a Lexus in about 40 years when I am ready to retire. They will probably come standard with handicap ramps by then Probably I can't test drive the Caddy afer next year? when GM goes bakrupt and President Bush (god bless) won't bail'em out. What is the source of you data for the median age? Most everyone I have seen in a Vete acts like they are 90 or mistake me for a ricer .. common kitty kitty wanna race

Last edited by quartermile; 12-23-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
I agree that detonation is a real issue in high hp 4cyls, but it's something that can be tuned for. Timing can be reduced or the AF mixture can be changed or any number of other things to reduce the risk of detonation to a very minimal level.

A properly built and tuned 4cyl engine driven by someone who knows and respects its strengths and weaknesses will last a long time, no matter how much hp it's pushing.

Quartermile: I'll race you. I'll lose, but it'd still be fun. Briefly, while I can still see your tail lights.