996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Well hell, I need a clutch! Thoughts wanted! :D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Exclamation Well hell, I need a clutch! Thoughts wanted! :D

Made over 650 on pump, E85 is looking like mid 700WHP. My 7yo Clutchmasters Stage3 and 997 dual mass flywheel gave Garth the middle finger this evening at the abuse Torque is being kept below 650ftlbs on E85 and boost ramping up is making the power.

I've got EPL hybrid K24 that are now also 7yo and are hanging in there well but backpressure is letting us know they're about out of breathe Oh, there's crappy eBayish headers on there too since purchase. SRM intercoolers, SRM plenum, larger TB, and SRM complete fuel system round things out.

I will likely primarily drive it on lowish boost and E85 when available for fun times but putting in something that can't handle the power seems asking for trouble. Car is primarily street driven and I haven't often felt the need to launch the car.

I will be swapping in GT2 components, no question. However the BIG question is what clutch solution to go with? I don't want goofy clutch mechanics. No catching just off the floor and if possible not at the very tippy top requiring a clutch stop - I'm tall dammit! Why is it so hard to get the stack height right?!

Garth is working some quotes for me and we're currently looking at a Sachs single disk with possibly a single mass Porsche flywheel. 2nd choice is possibly an RPS Triple which I have reservations about - not the least of which is cost and the many many revisions this clutch has gone through previously. Tilton is likely too expensive and the perceived maintenance makes me hesitant, I don't think I need this level honestly.

Any other reasonable options readily available? This is needed for sure. The GT2 conversion will replace a failing accumulator and I suspected the clutch wasn't going to be happy for long but ouchie this is going to sting!

Old 06-01-2016, 11:38 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
My opinion is, don't be the genie pig on the newest version. Ever update your phone to find out, "it doesn't work the same?"

You hitting some serious numbers though! If you stop light drag and drop the clutch, I don't have the answer but, if you engage the clutch and floor it, you may want to look at the sachs setup. I had an ERP3X but it didn't match my driving needs. Although good for 1000HP, I wouldn't use it for its true potential.

Since, I have a Sachs setup that holds just fine on E85 (not running the WHP you are) but, friction point to point is the same as stock where Erp was very short and low to the floor.

Pwdrhound may have a good suggestion as he is running similar HP.

BTW, I thought Clutchmaster stage 3 were loud and noisy (chatter.) I don't have that with either setups.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
I ran the clutchmaster stage 3 omg never again. Terrible clutch and it released way high.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:12 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
srm twin or triple tilton. no slave amnd zero chatter. holds 1000 ft/lbs torque and half the cost of an erp

Old 06-02-2016, 05:38 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
I'm in the same boat you're in. with 650+ wheel hp you're right on the edge of a standard style clutch not being strong enough.
I think I'm with 32krazy, I'm gonna go with the SRM triple

Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 AM
mdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Made over 650 on pump, E85 is looking like mid 700WHP. My 7yo Clutchmasters Stage3 and 997 dual mass flywheel gave Garth the middle finger this evening at the abuse Torque is being kept below 650ftlbs on E85 and boost ramping up is making the power.

I've got EPL hybrid K24 that are now also 7yo and are hanging in there well but backpressure is letting us know they're about out of breathe Oh, there's crappy eBayish headers on there too since purchase. SRM intercoolers, SRM plenum, larger TB, and SRM complete fuel system round things out.

I will likely primarily drive it on lowish boost and E85 when available for fun times but putting in something that can't handle the power seems asking for trouble. Car is primarily street driven and I haven't often felt the need to launch the car.

I will be swapping in GT2 components, no question. However the BIG question is what clutch solution to go with? I don't want goofy clutch mechanics. No catching just off the floor and if possible not at the very tippy top requiring a clutch stop - I'm tall dammit! Why is it so hard to get the stack height right?!

Garth is working some quotes for me and we're currently looking at a Sachs single disk with possibly a single mass Porsche flywheel. 2nd choice is possibly an RPS Triple which I have reservations about - not the least of which is cost and the many many revisions this clutch has gone through previously. Tilton is likely too expensive and the perceived maintenance makes me hesitant, I don't think I need this level honestly.

Any other reasonable options readily available? This is needed for sure. The GT2 conversion will replace a failing accumulator and I suspected the clutch wasn't going to be happy for long but ouchie this is going to sting!
I am picking up mine today or tomorrow with the gt3rs 4.0 disc/lwfw combo. Also did the GT2 conversion at the same time, can't wait to try it out.

Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2016, 03:19 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I honestly never had chatter with the Clutchmaster clutch other than being heavy but my accumulator was almost certainly going if not gone. Modulation sucked until I removed the heavy spring that pulls the pedal up.

I've talked to Sean, his price is indeed reasonable! I'm still nervous about wear and adjustment but if I don't drive like an animal I should be able last a good while between tweaks. I've driven multiplate clutches before, I'd probably be fine with a trie. Won't be available for a week though which kills me but it's a serious contender.

The RPS clutch makes me nervous because it's been through so many revisions and I have no idea of lifespan, it'll almost certainly need a revision prior to wearing out I fear Irish100p has one and while it grabs high it's done well but it seems like a crapshoot, a costly one too.

Sachs clutch I need to ponder, price is a big advantage I think but adding in the GT2 will add cost, same with RPS though. I'm not sure how. Inch the Sachs solution Gar mentioned will hold, I suspect I'd be pushing it but I doubt I'll beat on it constantly which is why my current one lasted. How much power will the GT3RS clutch and 4.0 flywheel hold? I'm thinking it's not going to hold but I'm all ears! Pretty sure that's not the same combination Garth was talking about.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:06 PM
aiyer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdurbahn
I am picking up mine today or tomorrow with the gt3rs 4.0 disc/lwfw combo. Also did the GT2 conversion at the same time, can't wait to try it out.
I saw your car today as I dropped my car off for some work. It really looks very nice! Nice job on the wrap!

Old 06-02-2016, 04:50 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
I would go as much OEM as possible, best quality parts. I had ERP 3carbon, Clutch masters stage3 and now went with gt2rs/gt3rs4.0 disk, lwfw and sachs pressure plate rated 1040Nm instead of regular 764 rated 890Nm

I estimate to do quite the same power on pump as you do and pump+meth like you on E85

Old 06-02-2016, 05:43 PM
b4stiTTS has a spectacular aura aboutb4stiTTS has a spectacular aura about
The 1040nm are organic or sinter based?

Last edited by b4stiTTS; 06-02-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Had a long talk with Sean at SRM. He's got a pretty good setup using Tilton components and I'll be able to skip drilling my transmission for the GT2 setup (not that I mind). His price is excellent and while I have concerns about adjustments I know this will hold whatever is thrown at it. I won't quote a price since I'm not sure he's got it on his website yet but he will have stuff ready to go late next week it sounds like. I'll say this, it's cost effective!

Old 06-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Had a long talk with Sean at SRM. He's got a pretty good setup using Tilton components and I'll be able to skip drilling my transmission for the GT2 setup (not that I mind). His price is excellent and while I have concerns about adjustments I know this will hold whatever is thrown at it. I won't quote a price since I'm not sure he's got it on his website yet but he will have stuff ready to go late next week it sounds like. I'll say this, it's cost effective!
i have ridden in seans car with the double setup. if i hadnt known it was a tilton i would have thought it drove like stock. zero noise great engagement. and holds 1000 ft/lbs. if i didnt already have the erp triple this would be in my car.

another nice thing is you dont have to drop the trans to swap clutches. just slide iot back far enough and drop them out!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Yup, I rode in his car as well and specifically listened forch atter and whatnot, smooth as glass. I know that triples can be a PITA to break in etc. but I've done it before. Height is my biggest concern! He may need to start producing pedal stops too

Old 06-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Thought I'd share a few more details, I know when someone says Tilton we all think of the Titan carbon setup. This is not that, it's a setup from SRM using Tilton components and some custom pieces. For the most part it's Tilton made in USA components and has withstood Sean's abuse well so far at power levels I won't be reaching.

The disks are ceramettalic Tilton pieces, I expect the floaters are too, the basket is likewise a Tilton component. I'm sure Sean could make one but these have to withstand a great deal of abuse and Sean wisely chose to use their proven parts. The TOB is hydraulic so no levers or slaves like stock. GT2 bolts are used to secure the the flywheel.

The flywheel is 18lbs of heat treated chromoly steel, no bolted on friction surfaces to warp or ultralightweight twitchy thing which is a relief. Not sure on total rotational weight here but almost certainly some savings over stock, I do expect some rattle at idle with the clutch out but no worse than my Supra when the DMF was replaced.

It'll be at least a week before its in but this should be a reasonable clutch solution I think. For around $3k I think this is a steal if it does everything as I expect, I'll provide feedback on it of course. I suspect it'll need to be broken in some like my Exidy years ago but traffic in my area will take care of that :-(

AIM will be installing a 997 trans mount while the transmission is out and Garth spotted one of my cables about to go so I'm shipping up my Numeric cables as a replacement. RSS is supplying a clutch stop to limit travel and save the TOB from overextension. Hate that but it seems almost no clutches retain stock take up and travel. I expect it won't be too heavy, the master is being swapped to GT2, AIM is taking care of the P/S pump mods too ala GT2 conversion. When the car returns home I will swap in RSS motor mounts I think and call this done for now! Turbos are my next concern along with coils but am hoping those aren't immediately needed, my piggy bank is a bit anorexic right now ��

Last edited by BLKMGK; 06-04-2016 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Stoopid autocorrect! Swapped all for ala!
Old 06-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Banned
Thought I'd share a few more details, I know when someone says Tilton we all think of the Titan carbon setup. This is not that, it's a setup from SRM using Tilton components and some custom pieces. For the most part it's Tilton made in USA components and has withstood Sean's abuse well so far at power levels I won't be reaching.

The disks are ceramettalic Tilton pieces, I expect the floaters are too, the basket is likewise a Tilton component. I'm sure Sean could make one but these have to withstand a great deal of abuse and Sean wisely chose to use their proven parts. The TOB is hydraulic so no levers or slaves like stock. GT2 bolts are used to secure the the flywheel.

The flywheel is 18lbs of heat treated chromoly steel, no bolted on friction surfaces to warp or ultralightweight twitchy thing which is a relief. Not sure on total rotational weight here but almost certainly some savings over stock, I do expect some rattle at idle with the clutch out but no worse than my Supra when the DMF was replaced.

It'll be at least a week before its in but this should be a reasonable clutch solution I think. For around $3k I think this is a steal if it does everything as I expect, I'll provide feedback on it of course. I suspect it'll need to be broken in some like my Exidy years ago but traffic in my area will take care of that :-(

AIM will be installing a 997 trans mount while the transmission is out and Garth spotted one of my cables about to go so I'm shipping up my Numeric cables as a replacement. RSS is supplying a clutch stop to limit travel and save the TOB from overextension. Hate that but it seems almost no clutches retain stock take up and travel. I expect it won't be too heavy, the master is being swapped to GT2, AIM is taking care of the P/S pump mods too all GT2 conversion. When the car returns home I will swap in RSS motor mounts I think and call this done for now! Turbos are my next concern along with coils but am hoping those aren't immediately needed, my piggy bank is a bit anorexic right now ��
if your going to run the tilton then the gt2 setup isnt needed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well hell, I need a clutch! Thoughts wanted! :D