996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

SOS Ok guys here we go again with the "poppin outta 2nd gear" issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 02:43 PM
techart 996 #3 is infamous around these parts
Hey Steve, Im tempted to go with it but it seems that the quote I got from the Auto Gallery is a bit high. I wonder if porsche would honour their 50-50 offer if I shopped around with other dealers.
Any suggestions where else I could take my car?
-Peter

Old 01-07-2006, 02:56 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Peter,
Personally I've had good luck with Autogallery. They take great care of my car. Although the car is still under warranty. You can also try McKenna..

Old 01-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Ok so porsche wont budge. Their initial offer for paying for half of parts and labour (tot price $10 500) on a remanned tranny is what Ill get. So its about $5 100 out the door and out of my pocket after AG gave me a $200 break. On one hand Im glad that they gave me at least that. But on the other hand I feel that porsche is weasling their way out of something they probably know is a defective transmission and that they wont admit or own up to.
So I guess the moral of the story is to not keep an expensive car past warranty expiration. And that is exactly what I plan to do for future cars. However this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I highly doubt that Ill ever buy another p car.

-Peter

Ps Hats off to AG who made an effort on my behalf.

Last edited by techart 996 #3; 01-07-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Ok so the car has been back in the garage for almost a week now. Tranny seems to be working fine. There is no popping out of 2nd anymore. The tranny does seem stiffer though, especially shifting into reverse. Although I'm glad to have the car back, Im a bit miffed that porsche wouldnt man up and take care of a tranny that only had 17K on it. Oh well life goes on.
-Peter

Old 01-20-2006, 10:12 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
well i did buy my next car from neillo in rocklin ca near sacramento bought my wife a cayenne s . from a great dealership.....

Old 01-20-2006, 10:23 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
had a bmw prob told the zone rep i was going the spend 3k on a news paper ad with all 22 sevice records pictured they gave me a new car this was in86 or so and it was a new 735il...i would screem a little louder nicely ask them to split the diff they pay 3/4......the 1st offer is seldom the final offer

Old 01-21-2006, 12:55 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I was lucky and I got my tranny changed. i had the 2nd gear pop out.
hey Peter, did u have a aftermarket shifter in it? if so thats the problem. as I said b4.... get the ssk and porsche will not decline u... stay with b&M just to save 250 bucks.. and u pay later...
just my thoughts.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-21-2006, 06:15 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Not that I advocate this but my tranny "fixed" itself. As i said previously my car popped 2nd from 1500 miles until about 3500, which was over a year ago. I had planned on taking it in but it just disappeared and the tech I spoke to last week said that the syncros just wore in better and if it's gone it will stay gone. I do agree that Porsche should step up on what is a known problem. Maybe they feel paying half is stepping up but I don't. Due to your cars low mileage they should have eaten the whole bill and instead of nickel and diming you, they could have used a small % of that money I read time after time as they are referred to as "the most profitable car company in the world." It would have made you feel good about Porsche and instead of you being sour on the brand, it might have made a freind for life. Stupid, plain and simple.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Hey Red Devil, you're right about 'porsche fixin it" might have gotten my loyalty. If they would have stepped up and gotten behind their product, I would have been more willing to buy a P car again. As it is now, I'm looking for a CS or an F430. Not that F cars are more reliable, but after the way porsche shot me down I just have a bad taste in my mouth. Oh well one has to pay to play.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:50 AM
To conclude this thread, I'd like to let all 996 TT owners, whose warranty is about to expire, be aware of this tranny problem. HAVE THE TRANSMISSION CHECKED OUT THOROUGHLY BEFORE WARRANTY EXPIRES!!!!!!! I dont wish any of my fellow 6 speeders to have to shell out money, on something I think is a crappy tranny with a factory defect. For any 996 TT owners who run into this problem out of warranty, dont give in to porsches nickel and diming. There are so many guys and at least one gal on this blog thats had the same problem with their trannies. Let Porsche rectify their mistake on their dime.
-Peter