996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Raising rear spoiler with failed hydraulics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 05:59 PM
SpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to all
Raising rear spoiler with failed hydraulics

I have a rear spoiler that will not raise at all. Is there a way to manually raise it so that I can disconnect the spoiler and change the hydraulic system over to a fixed ebwerks solution?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2016, 07:25 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Pull up the spoiler with your hands.

Stick something between deck lid and wing. A pair of sneakers works well.

Remove wing by twisting the twist locks under the wing. Use a pair of vise grips with a cloth or thin piece of rubber in between the twist lock and the vise grip jaws.

Once the wing is removed remove the rams and the hydraulic pump. Which if you want to sell PM me.

I think instructions are on Daves Rennkit website

Cheers
Tim

Old 07-28-2016, 08:04 PM
SpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to all
Are you certain that it can be pulled up by hand. I tugged on it earlier with medium force before I posted and it did not move. Just don't wanna break anything. I can jump the motor and get it to run but wing will not raise. Looks like a lot of fluid leaked out.

Thanks Again, Mike

Originally Posted by timccloud
Pull up the spoiler with your hands.

Stick something between deck lid and wing. A pair of sneakers works well.

Remove wing by twisting the twist locks under the wing. Use a pair of vise grips with a cloth or thin piece of rubber in between the twist lock and the vise grip jaws.

Once the wing is removed remove the rams and the hydraulic pump. Which if you want to sell PM me.

I think instructions are on Daves Rennkit website

Cheers
Tim

Old 07-28-2016, 08:21 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
yes Mike pull it up

Of course oil will come out they are hydraulic rams. To make it easier disconnect the hydraulic lines from the bottom of the rams,

the rams have powerful springs in them so it requires some force, dont worry you wont break it.

Use the sneakers to stop it going back down thus allowing access to the twist locks.

Cheers bro,
Tim

Last edited by timccloud; 07-28-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:40 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Don't try to just pull with "brute" force - that would be really hard.... The trick is to wedge your hands between the wing and the deck lid. Once it starts moving, it gets easier. When it comes apart a little, then you push your whole arm in there - then the sneakers.

You can't just stand on the deck lid and pull up.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:36 AM
Thanks for your advice Tim/Slider, I will give it a try this weekend!

-Mike

Old 08-01-2016, 11:09 PM
No probs I hope you sorted ur issue.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:07 AM
Worked just like you guy's said. A friend and I each pulled up a side and stuck a pair of "tenny rubbers" under the spoiler. Only thing to be careful of is when you disconnect the cylinder from each side the wing wants to go flying up since its already in a bind. Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by timccloud
No probs I hope you sorted ur issue.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpeedAddict
Worked just like you guy's said. A friend and I each pulled up a side and stuck a pair of "tenny rubbers" under the spoiler. Only thing to be careful of is when you disconnect the cylinder from each side the wing wants to go flying up since its already in a bind. Thanks for the help!
If any spoiler hydraulic fluid is present this needs to be washed away. The fluid is not nice to some materials.

When my Turbo's spoiler hydraulics developed a leak I kept the thing down -- pulled the fuse so it would not go up (warning! this also disabled the engine compartment lid electric latch release!) and then rinsed away the fluid that had leaked out.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:36 AM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Macster
When my Turbo's spoiler hydraulics developed a leak I kept the thing down -- pulled the fuse so it would not go up (warning! this also disabled the engine compartment lid electric latch release!).
That's not the fuse you are supposed to pull. The "fuse" (microswitch) is located on the hydraulics themselves. Pull that, and you still can use the electric latch release and without getting warning lights when you go above 75mph. Just don't touch the spoiler switch in the cockpit.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
My suggested method is to roll up a beach towel, about 1" diameter.
Crack open the banjo fittings at the bottom of each ram to allow air to bleed in, put a catch can under so the corrosive Pentosin PS fluid doesn't ruin your paint.
Pull up on one side of the wing until you can stick the towel in close to the ram.
Then repeat on the other side.
Then roll up a beach towel to about 2 1/4" diameter.
Pull wing up further and stick it in, removing the first towel.
Repeat on the other side.
Wrap some Channel Lock plier jaws with masking tape. Use it to turn the outer chrome barrel until the little hole lines up with the slot behind.
Stick a drift pin into the lined up hole and turn the whole thing 1/4 turn counter clockwise. BE CAREFUL! The ram will suddenly and with great force, retract when the 1/4 Turn Bolt lets loose. Have a helper hold the wing steady.
Repeat on the other side.
I have this written up as a procedure with pictures if anyone needs it.
Of course our pin wrench makes this much easier...

djcooper@rennkit.com

Old 08-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Flipn is on a distinguished road
Are you swapping out the hydraulics, Mike?

Old 08-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Flipn
Are you swapping out the hydraulics, Mike?
I haven't decided if I am going to put the spare set of Rams I have on it or if I am going with the fixed setup from ebwerks. I got the spoiler off and will be working on the Intercooler, roll bar, exhaust, wheel and suspension install over the next few weeks. Maybe I should start a small build thread. My garage looks like a showroom for Porsche performance goodies.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by SpeedAddict
I haven't decided if I am going to put the spare set of Rams I have on it
If you want to get rid of any old rams let me know Mike I need a couple of rams for parts