996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

E85 and emissions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:07 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
E85 and emissions?

Hi All!

So I recently went back to a 'more' stock configuration but still retain the Cobb AP and mafless setup on stock injectors, stock K16s and running factory cats. I am wanting to give E85 a try (have been for sometime!), which means I'll have to upgrade my injectors AGAIN. I'm looking at the 650cc Bosch EV14's. I do have some 1100cc FICs that I just took out but thinking those are overkill for this stock-ish setup even on E85.

So my question is...will I have any issues running e85 and trying to pass emissions? I have to get the test done here in the next couple weeks and curious if I should wait on the e85 switch over or just do it and emissions will be fine.

TIA!
Scot

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 08-15-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:15 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
I think you'd be fine as long as you aren't throwing codes?

Not sure how it'd fair if they do an actual sniffer test... Do they only hook it up to OBD port in Colorado or they put it on the rollers with the tailpipe tester?

Old 08-15-2016, 09:21 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Currently no codes...

The last time (2 years ago) I had to put the car on the rollers and the did the sniffer. I'll have to check if the method has changed.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
1/3 more fuel used in e85. Put the 1100 back in

Old 08-15-2016, 09:25 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Hi All!

So I recently went back to a 'more' stock configuration but still retain the Cobb AP and mafless setup on stock injectors, stock K16s and running factory cats. I am wanting to give E85 a try (have been for sometime!), which means I'll have to upgrade my injectors AGAIN. I'm looking at the 650cc Bosch EV14's. I do have some 1100cc FICs that I just took out but thinking those are overkill for this stock-ish setup even on E85.

So my question is...will I have any issues running e85 and trying to pass emissions? I have to get the test done here in the next couple weeks and curious if I should wait on the e85 switch over or just do it and emissions will be fine.

TIA!
Scot
If the car is running OK and with no CEL and all readiness monitors are complete my advice is to wait until after you get the car through the emissions check.

Assuming it makes it through this with no issues then you can do the E85 switch over and you have time to sort this out before the car needs to be emissions checked again.

As for the question of passing emissions after an E85 conversion/switch over what is the CO emissions check? Just connecting the computer to the OBD2 port and querying the DME for any active/pending/permanent codes and any incomplete readiness monitors? In this case probably.

Or is there an exhaust gas sniffer involved? In this case...?

Old 08-15-2016, 09:30 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
if they don't do sniff test. "for example in illlinois - they don't" you have nothing to worry about, no CE light , you be fine.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:31 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Currently no codes...

The last time (2 years ago) I had to put the car on the rollers and the did the sniffer. I'll have to check if the method has changed.
If they do the rollers I'd probably wait to be sure. They may somehow know its E85 based on the numbers and realize your car isn't meant to run E85.

That said, E85 does burn cleaner than gasoline so maybe it'd actually help pass. No idea dude. I'd wait

Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
1/3 more fuel used in e85. Put the 1100 back in
Really Steve? 1100s with stock K16s? Seems a bit over kill to me.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
If they do the rollers I'd probably wait to be sure. They may somehow know its E85 based on the numbers and realize your car isn't meant to run E85.

That said, E85 does burn cleaner than gasoline so maybe it'd actually help pass. No idea dude. I'd wait

Yea ok, I'll wait.

Just looking at my Cobb map...looks like I have the SAI Disabled and secondary 02 disabled for the straight pipes I just took off...I'll toggle these back on and see what happens for CELs. I do have the solenoid for the SAI installed, but the air-pump itself has been removed. I wonder if this will be an issue. We'll see.

Here's what I found on the test procedure...it appears they still do the dyno test/sniffer. Refer to bold underlined text.

What Exactly Gets Tested?

video_FPO.jpgThe "emissions inspection" is actually a series of tests. In addition to the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) "plug-in" and the I/M 240 dynamometer "treadmill-like" tests (for 1982 and newer vehicles) and the two-speed Idle test (for 1981 and older vehicles, and heavy duty trucks), elements of the emissions test are as follows:

Pretest Safety Check
As the vehicle enters the building, a brief check around the vehicle is made to make sure there are no visible problems that would make it unsafe to test. The inspector will look for obvious fluid leaks, worn tires, etc. If the vehicle is rejected from testing for safety or other reasons, you will be given a form stating what condition(s) must be corrected before the vehicle can be tested.

Visual Inspection of Emissions Equipment
All vehicles are given dashboard warning light and gas cap presence and pressure checks. In addition, vehicle model years 1975 through 1995 are given the following equipment checks, to ensure all required equipmwnt is installed, intact, and in apparent working order:
catalytic converter
air injection system
O2 sensor system
"check engine" light
Vehicles not originally equipped with these items are not required to have them. Vehicles that were originally equipped with any of them must have them in place in order to pass the emissions test. Gray market vehicles and customer built vehicles must have components appropriate to their model year, or must present evaluation paperwork from a state Emissions Technical Center.

Gas Cap Pressure Test
Gas caps on 1975 and newer vehicles are tested for leakage. The cap is removed from the vehicle and attached to a pressurization device. Gas caps that do not have an adequate seal allow hydrocarbon (HC) vapors (raw gasoline) to escape into the atmosphere. Failing this test will cause your vehicle to fail its emissions test. You will need to replace the cap and return your vehicle to an emissions center for a complete retest, not just a gas cap retest. The state requires a complete retest because a vehicle may perform differently once a properly sealed cap is in place. This is particularly true for computer-controlled vehicles.

"Check Engine" Light check
This is a malfunction indicator and/or maintenance reminder light. Depending on the make and model of the vehicle, it may say "Check Engine," "service engine," or "emissions," or may simply contain an image of an engine. An illuminated "Check Engine" light:
Will cause vehicles eight (8) through 11 years old to fail the inspection.
Will be noted as "Advisory" only for vehicles 12 years and older.
Opacity (Smoke) Inspection
All vehicles are checked for the presence of visible smoke. More than five
(5) percent opacity for a duration of five (5) seconds or longer will cause a vehicle to fail.
**(Smoke failures are not subject to the $75 and $715 repair limit.)

On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) test
On-Board Diagnostics, known as OBD or OBD II, is a computer-based system built into all 1996-and-newer light-duty vehicles. OBD systems monitor the performance of a vehicle's major components, including those responsible for controlling emissions. The systems continuously check vehicles to ensure they are operating as designed, and to detect emissions-related problems before they might otherwise be noticed.

Vehicles eight (8) through 11 years old require an OBD "plug-in" inspection only.
Vehicles 12 years old back to model year 1996 will receive an "Advisory" OBD test in addition to the I/M 240 "treadmill-like" test.
Vehicles 12 years old through 1996 that cannot be tested using the I/M 240 "treadmill-like" test due to tire size or other configuration issues will be given an alteranate OBD test.
I/M 240 dynamometer "treadmill-like" test
Vehicles are driven on a "treadmill-like" device that tests vehicles under simulated driving conditions. A cone is connected to the tailpipe to capture the vehicle's emissions. An "Advisory" OBD "plug-in" test is conducted on all 1996 and newer model year vehicles.

Vehicles 12 years old back to model year 1981 require an I/M 240 "treadmill-like" test.
Newer vehicles with OBD systems that are not "Ready" or cannot communicate with the station computer will be given an I/M 240 as an alternate test.
Two-speed Idle Test
This is a non-driving test that monitors a vehicle's emissions at idle for about 30 seconds, at approximately 2,500 RPM (engine speed) for an additional 30 seconds and again at idle for a final 30 seconds. A cone is connected the tailpipe to capture and evaluate the vehicle's emissions.

Vehicles model year 1981-and-older receive two-speed idle tests.
Gas Cap Pressure Test
Gas caps on 1975 and newer vehicles are tested for leakage. The cap is removed from the vehicle and attached to a pressurization device. Gas caps that do not have an adequate seal allow hydrocarbon (HC) vapors (raw gasoline) to escape into the atmosphere. Failing this test will cause your vehicle to fail its emissions test. You will need to replace the cap and return your vehicle to an emissions center for a complete retest, not just a gas cap retest. The state requires a complete retest because a vehicle may perform differently once a properly sealed cap is in place. This is particularly true for computer-controlled vehicles.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:51 AM
mdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud of
If you take it to the one on wads/i70 they won't put it on the rollers. They are usually too afraid to damage something.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Yea ok, I'll wait.

Just looking at my Cobb map...looks like I have the SAI Disabled and secondary 02 disabled for the straight pipes I just took off...I'll toggle these back on and see what happens for CELs. I do have the solenoid for the SAI installed, but the air-pump itself has been removed. I wonder if this will be an issue. We'll see.
It may fail for "not ready" status if the car doesn't get the reports back from those systems due to removal.

How many "not ready" can you have and still pass in Colorado? I tried to search and couldn't find anything for you, so may want to look into that. I'd be worried the SAI would trigger a CEL. Code it back on and see what happens.. If it triggers a light for SAI, turn it back off and use a durametric or something like that to read readiness status (not sure if Cobb can do this). If it shows not ready and you can pass with 1 not ready, leave it like that. I know where I am I can pass with 2 not ready status so perhaps you can luck out with that also.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Matt - so do they just do the sniffer at revs? Or only OBDII testing? I'd almost rather them do the dyno/sniffer than the OBDII readiness check, because they just scan the dashboard for CELs which wouldn't catch the readiness states of the SAI (that's the only one I'm worried about really).

I just toggled the secondary 02 and SAI back on and will upload the map and drive the car to see if it trips any CELs. Not sure on the thresholds for failed readiness. Let's hope it's at least one.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 AM
Matt - so do they just do the sniffer at revs? Or only OBDII testing? I'd almost rather them do the dyno/sniffer than the OBDII readiness check, because they just scan the dashboard for CELs which wouldn't catch the readiness states of the SAI (that's the only one I'm worried about really).

I just toggled the secondary 02 and SAI back on and will upload the map and drive the car to see if it trips any CELs. Not sure on the thresholds for failed readiness. Let's hope it's at least one.
" Vehicles model year 2000 and older can have two remaining monitors “Not Ready” while vehicles 2001 and newer can only have one unset monitor. "

Found something for you

Source: http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...y-unable-test/

Old 08-15-2016, 12:23 PM
NICE! Thanks Seattle! Atleast now I can have the SAI disabled to make sure it doesn't throw a CEL..which would definitely fail the car.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Egorbopol is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm pretty sure those 650's won't cut it, even on stock K16's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E85 and emissions?