996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How about this DME report?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 04:14 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
How about this DME report?

Pulled mine today. Interesting...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MgY3J9]

Old 10-15-2016, 04:26 PM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
I'm shocked you have so few type 1's. Don't you have the rev limiter set @7,250?

I had 65535 type 1's on my old track rat boxster...

Old 10-15-2016, 04:30 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
the type 1's all seems to have their own 'stop' counts...mine stopped at 20000 or so...

Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2016, 04:38 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Does it not count T1s on the way to a recorded T2? Either that or the counter rolled over

Old 10-15-2016, 04:40 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highlander
I'm shocked you have so few type 1's. Don't you have the rev limiter set @7,250?

I had 65535 type 1's on my old track rat boxster...
Just posted this to point out how unreliable the over rev reports are. It's impossible to have more type 2s than 1s, as is shown on my report. My redline is 7500 and I'm there on almost every shift. My type 2s should be much higher than the 4000+ indicated. Just posted this because I know people place way too much emphasis on over revs and for the most part they are meaningless. The only thing that's accurate on mine are the hours which at 337hrs amount to about 7000 miles driven since I installed a brand new ECU about 2.5 years ago.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 10-15-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:09 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
even weirder is yours is still identifying the time the overev happened, but the count is low...

Old 10-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by 993GT
even weirder is yours is still identifying the time the overev happened, but the count is low...
The total hour count appears accurate as the DME was installed new two years ago and had "0" for everything. Shortly thereafter the engine was rebuilt and type 1s quit registering. This past weekend MoTec showed my highest rpm at 7863 and no type 1s registered. Type 2s register but at a much slower rate than they should. Not that it matters. Just pointing out that the numbers can't really be trusted

Old 10-15-2016, 11:03 PM
Exactly John, also will make point of the reset/new ECU data `zeroing` more common in the GT3 world....
Am curious what kills the T.1 counts, everyone has different stop points...
Your T2 does seem low as well given duty cycle and redline allowance...
As I said over on RL, the rev count data should be 'considered' but definitely not used as any sort of ultimatum for car purchase

Old 10-16-2016, 12:08 AM
I'm curious what actually are the triggering factors for the over revs. Obviously they are not very reliable.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Just posted this to point out how unreliable the over rev reports are. It's impossible to have more type 2s than 1s, as is shown on my report. My redline is 7500 and I'm there on almost every shift. My type 2s should be much higher than the 4000+ indicated. Just posted this because I know people place way too much emphasis on over revs and for the most part they are meaningless. The only thing that's accurate on mine are the hours which at 337hrs amount to about 7000 miles driven since I installed a brand new ECU about 2.5 years ago.
Not sure I agree that your post shows the counts are unreliable. These counters are critical to Porsche deciding to honor a warranty engine replacement and I would like to believe they are very reliable.

What I suspect is unreliable is the aftermarket tool that reads these. I would expect Porsche to have some software procedure to read these that can tell if the values are legit or have been tampered with.

This could possibly result in the values being reported incorrectly if this software procedure not followed. And I would not expect Porsche to publish this procedure for it would then give someone a better idea of how to change these values without this being detectable.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Macster
Not sure I agree that your post shows the counts are unreliable. These counters are critical to Porsche deciding to honor a warranty engine replacement and I would like to believe they are very reliable.

What I suspect is unreliable is the aftermarket tool that reads these. I would expect Porsche to have some software procedure to read these that can tell if the values are legit or have been tampered with.

This could possibly result in the values being reported incorrectly if this software procedure not followed. And I would not expect Porsche to publish this procedure for it would then give someone a better idea of how to change these values without this being detectable.
My value are the same whether I pull them with Durametric, UMW logger, or the Porsche factory PST2. I have access to all of them. There is no black majik in reading the values even if you use the Porsche factory tester. It's simple enough a monkey could do it. All I'm saying is that my type 1s quit recording over two years ago and I only record type 2s but at a much slower rate than they should. This problem is not all too rare and with the majority of the cars out there flashed, overrevs become a moot point on the 996 as you have no idea if your engine hit 9000 for a brief period or 7400 for an extended period as both are recorded as the same type 2. The 997 is much better in this respect as you actually have a way to tell what rpm range the engine has attained due to its 5 stages of data.

Changing ECU values is not easy. You can however install a new ECU and everything starts at "0" including the overrevs.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:45 PM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Changing ECU values is not easy. You can however install a new ECU and everything starts at "0" including the overrevs.
In the hand of someone who knows what to do you can place your personal order and get what you desire. You can't trust what you see and have to put everything into perspective and relation to other things. Some things are not stored in a single location.

Most tunes don't handle these overrev settings or not well enough. This is especially the case when #2 counts while #1 doesn't.

Counters do not roll over. Once full (65535), they stay there.

Trigger settings are a fixed rev value for #1 and then a difference on top of that for #2. Running into the rev limiter counts #1, which is pretty normal. Going beyond that past the #2 distance value activates #2 counting. From a technical point there is no #2 counting without #1 counting when everything is setup well.

However: the revs/min is not a perfect measurement and some prediction comes into play as well. Depressing the clutch while the foot is not off the throttle control jumps the revs quite quickly.

There is more to it. These are just a few brief points.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:55 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
My value are the same whether I pull them with Durametric, UMW logger, or the Porsche factory PST2. I have access to all of them. There is no black majik in reading the values even if you use the Porsche factory tester. It's simple enough a monkey could do it. All I'm saying is that my type 1s quit recording over two years ago and I only record type 2s but at a much slower rate than they should. This problem is not all too rare and with the majority of the cars out there flashed, overrevs become a moot point on the 996 as you have no idea if your engine hit 9000 for a brief period or 7400 for an extended period as both are recorded as the same type 2. The 997 is much better in this respect as you actually have a way to tell what rpm range the engine has attained due to its 5 stages of data.

Well, I've seen some pretty odd readings/reports posted with just a few counts showing up in the higher counters and in others the readings not making sense.

But if you are comfortable that the readings are accurate then I have no explanation for them.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
I'm curious what actually are the triggering factors for the over revs. Obviously they are not very reliable.
I agree... My car is stock tune, stock rev limit, etc... If I run up to redline before a shift I register type 2 every single time, and Im not missing gears.. As soon as I noticed that, I decided that it is not worth monitoring

Old 10-17-2016, 10:11 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
I believe the main people looking at the over revs are people that are shopping for a 996T. I don't think very many actually monitor the counts of cars they own (at least I don't)...I know how I drive my car (typically like a huge wimp, lol) and it really wouldn't make a difference anyway since the car is mine and I would have to deal with any issues regardless.

Back when I was hunting for mine I did request dme reports as part of the ppi's and was looking at them to try and get an overall idea on how the car was used by the previous owner. I wanted a 1-2 owner max, totally bone stock car that had been extremely well maintained, and driven "by an old lady". In my particular case the dme readout supported how the car was presented to me. By no means did I put all the weight of my decision on dme counts it was only part of the research I looked at for any given car.

I will say that after the details posted in this thread it looks like there may be some folks passing on cars that maybe didn't have to be passed on based on putting too much weight in a dme readout...

I think from 997.1 newer the dme readouts are much more detailed and perhaps could be used to look for more specific over rev situations. For 996T though it seems they can only be used to get a really basic idea of how the car may have been used.

I think perhaps the best way to use a dme readout when it comes to shopping for these cars could be to look at the amount of time since the last type two...although you guys are saying that the dme does not seem to record all of them anyway. I guess it might be better if the last type 2 happened 10 - 20 hours ago rather than 1 hour ago maybe?? Either way you could still have issues with a car that has a beautiful dme readout so not sure what to recommend to folks that are shopping

Either way, great info in this thread.

Last edited by gophaster; 10-17-2016 at 10:13 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How about this DME report?