996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dive Planes for 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 01:17 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by viprklr
I prefer not to put any holes in the bumper. Would it make sense to run a bead of silicone on each side in addition to the double sided tape.
Was at VIR 2 weeks ago with several PCA BS'rbuddies. One has a GT4 with dive planes. He used D/S tape only & one of the CF dive planes came off at 150 on the back straight. Thankfully it flew out in the grass and was unhurt. He was able to find the end of the day.
You really need to bolt the larger Joe Toth dive planes on. Tape won't cut it...

Old 11-13-2016, 06:04 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by viprklr
Was at VIR 2 weeks ago. One has a GT4 with dive planes. He used D/S tape only & one of the CF dive planes came off at 150 on the back straight.
Interesting. My question would be what type of DS tape did Mr. GT4 use? Not any tape will do. 3M VHB is the only one that is recommended. Second question, did he have the clear film on the bumper, and did he stick it to that? Third question would be, how did he clean off any wax or other treatment from the car and how did he clean the back side of the dive plane? The surfaces have to be perfectly clean and wax free.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:18 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
There is no tape period that will hold jt dive planes on if properly angled at 150+. The jt ones are much larger than say the stock gt3rs 4.0 ones are. They catch a ton of air. Best aero mod on my car for sure. Car when from floaty at 150+ (yes even with gt2 aero) to fill planted.

They work in 2 ways. First the air push on in the canard creates some down force. The second though is the more important. It changes the way the air flows on the side of the car. It move are up over the front wheel well reducing the high pressure there and reduced lift. Then sends the air down the side and over the rear arches and also into the intercooler ducts. This helps keep the air from goon under the car right behind the front wheels. Tons of overall gains minus slightly higher drag.

Overall though, with the size they are, no tape will work. I have 3m and bolts on mine as well as black silicone sealer on the top to fill any voids between the canard and bumper.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:38 AM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Those pictured above on the blue car are mine. I simply cut them out of an old rear fender liner and riveted them on to the bumper. $0 plus a couple of hours labor.
Thanks pwdrhound. Don't want to derail this thread, is there a dedicated thread about it somewhere I can checkout? Would like to see more pics and learn more about benefits of these. They only get applied to front only?

Old 11-13-2016, 03:16 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Thanks pwdrhound. Don't want to derail this thread, is there a dedicated thread about it somewhere I can checkout? Would like to see more pics and learn more about benefits of these. They only get applied to front only?
Here is a picture of the backside of the diverter guides ahead of the front tire. They are riveted to the lip on the front bumper as you can see in the picture before. The idea is that they smooth the airflow around the front tire and create a low pressure area. No, I can't feel any seat of the pants experience but they are widely used on most race cars these days along with a version on the late generation 991GT3s where they are molded in as a part of the bumper. Yes, they are only used on the front.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/P3vMmM]

Old 11-14-2016, 06:22 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
This is where I'd almost prefer to have aftermarket parts vs. OEM; the thought of drilling my OEM 997 GT2RS bumper skin in any non-stock location makes me unhappy...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.