996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

COBB 3 bar MAP sensor for 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 02:37 AM
krikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud of
COBB 3 bar MAP sensor for 996tt

Hi guys,

Ive been talking to COBB guys about ETA on 3 bar MAP sensor for 996tt.
They have this for the 997tt and it is on their list for 996tt also.
But no ETA yet.. This is probably something they can have ready rather quick, but currently not on the top of their list.
It is not the physical sensor that needs developing, but the ECU is limited to 2,5bar and needs custom code.

They mentioned that they had requests from other 996tt customers also and as they get more requests this job is moved up the priority list.
I would imagine that rather many of us running COBB would love the 3bar MAP option. To enable us to run above 1,5bar.

Please chime in / raise yuor hands those of you interested in the 3 bar MAP sensor compatibility.
The more interest we can raise and show to them, the sooner they will have this ready for us

I have been running 1,5bar on my GTX3071R's and oem internals this season, but now building a stronger engine and want to up the boost once this is back in the car.
I can imagine that other of you guys running COBB are in the same boat, wanting to run above 1,5 bar.
Please chime in.. And please let COBB know that you are interested in the 3 bar map sensor option.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:03 AM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by krikra
Hi guys,

Ive been talking to COBB guys about ETA on 3 bar MAP sensor for 996tt.
They have this for the 997tt and it is on their list for 996tt also.
But no ETA yet.. This is probably something they can have ready rather quick, but currently not on the top of their list.
It is not the physical sensor that needs developing, but the ECU is limited to 2,5bar and needs custom code.

They mentioned that they had requests from other 996tt customers also and as they get more requests this job is moved up the priority list.
I would imagine that rather many of us running COBB would love the 3bar MAP option. To enable us to run above 1,5bar.

Please chime in / raise yuor hands those of you interested in the 3 bar MAP sensor compatibility.
The more interest we can raise and show to them, the sooner they will have this ready for us

I have been running 1,5bar on my GTX3071R's and oem internals this season, but now building a stronger engine and want to up the boost once this is back in the car.
I can imagine that other of you guys running COBB are in the same boat, wanting to run above 1,5 bar.
Please chime in.. And please let COBB know that you are interested in the 3 bar map sensor option.

Just get a boost controller. You dont need a 3bar map sensor.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:02 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
I dont need it yet, but I will in the future, so I would be interested.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:30 AM
krikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud of
@996tt550hp - I am really happy with the way I can control everything incl boost with the Porsche ECU.. I would prefer to keep it like that.
IF COBB are really slow with 3 bar compatibility, I will have to revert to external boost controller. Or move to aftermarket ECU..

Old 11-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
You can run the boost, it's just that no one has a solution yet where you can see it on the dash. I know they have a long list of goodies to work on but hopefully soon. Yout cabn install a boost gauge though.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:15 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Is the MAP sensor only used for the dash or is it also an ecu sensor?

Old 11-16-2016, 04:59 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Physically adding a 3 bar sensor is easy. get an aem 3 or 5 bar and install it. real issue is, is integration of the run it for said sensor. I talked to Mitch as cobb about this last fall. wanted to go true speed density and just put a 5 bar in the plenum. easy to do but there tuning software isn't setup to do it yet.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:33 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
The problem is well known and debated, an ECU software limitation, having an aftermarket 4bar map sensor wont solve it...

Of course we can boost above 1.5bar, and most EBCs come with their own MAP sensor, but logging with stock ECU after 1.55bar is a bit harder as we can not correlate events with boost levels, having that will allow us to push more the engine/tuning and keep everything safer at the same time.

I did up to 2.2bar on stock ecu with a simple greddy at that time, now running plex ebc, maybe the best ebc on the market as it comes with safety trips and things found in basic aftermarket ECUs, but not boosting more than 1.6-1.7bar... new setup, more road racing and can live with oem map sensor for up to 1.8bar or so..

Having an aftermarket ECU will solve this nevertheless and keep everything happy, if Cobb manages to do the upgrade possible will be great news for our community and might be a big differentiator for new tunes imo

Old 11-17-2016, 03:37 PM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
Cobb 996 access tuner pro allows you to scale the map sensor and in theory install a 3bar map sensor. this is already available and should support the tune and logging. I haven't tried because I'm not using a Cobb tune - but do log with it.

however - the dash canbus won't support it without a change to the dash code. I recently tried sending a higher boost value to the gauge and it failed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.