996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Good Aero wing on 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:27 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cyneric
Awesome car! Thanks for the info and link to the thread. Super helpful.
You wouldnt by chance happen to know Tony Calabrese would you?

Old 11-20-2016, 11:29 AM
cyneric is infamous around these parts
Yeah sure do! I run into him at PCA events at Mid-Ohio.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:02 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Yeah sure do! I run into him at PCA events at Mid-Ohio.
He messaged me on facebook mentioning a friend who was planning to build a track 996 TT and asked if he could forward my info to you if you had any questions. Ill PM it to you.

As far as the wing, I wouldnt reinvent the wheel if I didnt have to. You should start by shoring up the suspension by removing rubber parts, welding your coolant lines, addressing the brakes and transmission and deciding awd vs rwd if you havent already. Also getting as light as possible without undermining safety. You also need to plan your front aero to match the rear or you won't be going any faster. There are few options there. There are other wing options too like Kognition, grand am cup level stuff and some others that you wont spend a lot of time guinea pigging it.

What are your plans? Just DE and Time Trial or racing too?

Old 11-20-2016, 01:08 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Mainly the amount of downforce and stress on the decklid itself. Your car looks awesome! That rear diffuser is sweet! Custom made?
No need to run re-engineer unless you are using a different wing. What Getty did is copy the factory porsche GT3Cup design and modify to fit widebody and turbo airbox. It is proven.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:28 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Tony is my buddy & I'm the one inquiring about the wing. As my speeds have increased (155 on back straight at MO), the 996 gets a bit light in the front end. I just bought the Rennkitt front splitter & looking to add more downforce at the rear

Old 11-20-2016, 08:34 PM
Wow, how about that? Small world. Are you just looking for some rear DF or do a more comprehensive build?

And man is that front lip sitting low. Dont know how you keep that in one piece on track.

Last edited by heavychevy; 11-20-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:08 PM
The issue is not the wing itself, its the swan mounting which moves the wing further back.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:08 AM
cyneric is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
He messaged me on facebook mentioning a friend who was planning to build a track 996 TT and asked if he could forward my info to you if you had any questions. Ill PM it to you.

As far as the wing, I wouldnt reinvent the wheel if I didnt have to. You should start by shoring up the suspension by removing rubber parts, welding your coolant lines, addressing the brakes and transmission and deciding awd vs rwd if you havent already. Also getting as light as possible without undermining safety. You also need to plan your front aero to match the rear or you won't be going any faster. There are few options there. There are other wing options too like Kognition, grand am cup level stuff and some others that you wont spend a lot of time guinea pigging it.

What are your plans? Just DE and Time Trial or racing too?
Too funny!

I have changed springs and shocks but have rubber bushings which I need to replace. Coolant lines are welded. What do you mean by addressing the transmission? I have a new Sachs stage 3 clutch, LW flywheel and GT2 slave. I've been pulling carpet, radio etc. to lighten things up. Plan on two Bride seats and will pull the rest of the carpet in the front when I put seats in. Forgeline GA1R wheels.

As far as AWD vs RWD, I think I was planning on staying AWD for now unless there is a hugely compelling reason to make the change.

For front aero I was planning on Joe Toth front splitter and dive planes. Either two or four dive planes depending on how everything balances out.

For now just DE/time trial. Maybe racing but that would be down the road and not sure if I'd do it with this car.

I'm friends with viprklr too. Small world! I think we are both heading in the same direction with our 996s.

Thanks again for the help!

-Cyneric

Old 11-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Too funny!

I have changed springs and shocks but have rubber bushings which I need to replace. Coolant lines are welded. What do you mean by addressing the transmission? I have a new Sachs stage 3 clutch, LW flywheel and GT2 slave. I've been pulling carpet, radio etc. to lighten things up. Plan on two Bride seats and will pull the rest of the carpet in the front when I put seats in. Forgeline GA1R wheels.

As far as AWD vs RWD, I think I was planning on staying AWD for now unless there is a hugely compelling reason to make the change.

For front aero I was planning on Joe Toth front splitter and dive planes. Either two or four dive planes depending on how everything balances out.

For now just DE/time trial. Maybe racing but that would be down the road and not sure if I'd do it with this car.

I'm friends with viprklr too. Small world! I think we are both heading in the same direction with our 996s.

-Cyneric
Yeah, the clutch is the first thing to go when you start tracking heavily so looks like you have that covered. That being said, depending on the level of tire you plan to run, 3rd gear could surface as an issue. Downforce plus the torque of the TT tends to beat up 3rd gear pretty badly, and they are the weak point in the transmission. Several of us have eaten many 3rd gears. Cross that bridge if/when you get to it. AWD is fine, though you will take a power to weight ratio penalty running AWD in Time Trials with NASA (and the extra 75 lbs or so that goes with it). For NASA TT, considering the penalty, RWD is probably better, but a pretty big undertaking once you add the work needed for the LSD.

The good news is that NASA lowered the ratio for TT1, which you will almost certainly be in to 6.0:1 from 5.5:1 making streetable cars more competitive. It will take quite a bit to the car and a heck of a drive to compete with Tony, but TT is a LOT of fun regardless. We need more Porsches competing in TT. For years now it's been me against the Viper/Vette/Evo/STI and occasional cup car.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:05 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Too funny!

-Cyneric
I'm not sure much would be gained with the dual dive planes.. It seems to me most of the gains come from the vortices created helping seal airflow from going under the car vs actual pushing down on the front.. I could be wrong, but would be interesting to see some testing/results.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:57 PM
I think a lot of people misunderstand the significance of dive planes. There is a reason Porsche and other manufacturers use them whenever rules permit. Also consider top level time attack cars and DTM who have very liberal aero rules utilize them as well. These are not your average joes developing these cars.

The purpose of the dive plane is not to push the front of the car down. Aero does not work by pushing the car down. It pulls the car down. High pressure on top vs low pressure on bottom equals downward force at speed. Air goes down the side and underneath the car at speed. Canards work by deflecting air upwards, air that would otherwise have gone underneath the car to add pressure and create lift, is now being pushed upwards and contributing to the high pressure area over the car, thereby helping to reduce pressure underneath the car. Canards can add significant downforce balance in many circumstances. No dive planes and your wing will overpower the front of your car. Pretty much guaranteed. I picked up almost a second at Road Atlanta the very first time I used dive planes. Mostly being able to pick up throttle early in turn 12 vs having to wait for the car washing out there. And these were pretty flimsy canards I had, you could flex them easily with your hand.

Here is a good video illustrating the benefits of adding canards. Notice the overall DF does not really change, however it is more balanced when the canards are added.

Fast forward to :35 seconds on this one or listen to the whole thing.

Last edited by heavychevy; 11-21-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:20 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
I just got an email from davecarrera that my front splitter/dive planes are enroute as of the 18th. I can testify to 3rd gear being weak. I shipped my tranny down to Brian Copans late last year & had him "beef up" the tranny while the motor was out having the coolant lines pinned. I went with an upgraded GT2 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. I was very pleased to hear Brian tell me that transmission looked great & I think only one pinion? gear need replacement simply as precaution while he was in there.
Ideally I would like to have someone simply fab up some type of aluminum riser for my existing fixed aerowing that added 6-8" of height to get more airflow over the wing. I'm not necessarily looking to get into replacing the stock decklid or bastardize the rear deck area.
I like the somewhat stock look of the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.