996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best turbo kits for 996 turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:13 AM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Best turbo kits for 996 turbo?

Hi guys,

Very new to the 996 platform. I have been thinking of looking for the right 996 to add to the stable. I would like to find a mint low mile Tiptronic car and do a quality 700-750 kit. Can you guys suggest some quality options? I have seen the Evoms kit and figured I would ask the experts before I go doing anymore research on my own.

Also with these upgrades I am sure the Tip will need to be upgraded as well. Does the awd system need any upgrades or that can handle the additional power?

Lastly I recently drove a 991 turbo s and that thing is bonkers off the line with the PDK. Do you think a modded 996 turbo would have any chance getting close to that level of performance from a dig? Thanks and any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:30 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
700 or so is about at the limitations for the stock engine and tip unless you want to push your luck. This can be done pretty easily with a turbo upgrade, exhaust, inlet tubes or mafless, fuel pump, injectors, and a good tune. You would need some octane to run that high also. There are good vendors here who can hook you up with parts. AIM in New Jersey is a good shop local to you. Tough to beat a PDK off of the line but a tip can come pretty close.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:30 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok first off, a tip will never have the performance of a pdk. there are companies that upgrade the tip but you'll spend 5-6k to do that properly.

as for turbos kits, you are better off piecing together stuff in my opinion. any of the large k24 based hybrids will get you to the 750hp range. you can by tial turbos but going to cost you twice as much.

on top of that you'll need intercoolers, boost hoses, exhaust, 74mm throttle body and plenum, fuel system, injectors, larger intake tubing or filters on turbos, possibly a y pipe, and then tuning. It's a lot of work and cost but doable.

just make sure you have the funds and a good plan set up to do it. pinching pennies to finish the project always sucks.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:39 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
go hard or go home !! get a tiptronic upgrade also with a tcu remap to improve those shift times. If you are in usa I think renntech is best choise and they are cheap. Than if you want to be reliable , I would recomand a basic engine build , rods , 12mm headstuds , gasket and coalant pipes weld . Silly robit motorsport offers a nice package for this , which is "affordable",Also they offere EFR turbo kit , which bolts on to stock headers and spool very fast . They can make 700-800whp on 93 and 1000whp on racegas . That or their k24 turno upgrade which is with the biggest compresor in the market . Marksi at 911tunning is also good chooice.

there are a lot of guys going 700hp on stock engine but bot for a long time and these are 10 years old + car , an engine referesh is a good idea .
just my 2cents.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
on a Tip forget about putting down 700 plus unless you do the trans...
650 hp MAX...
best
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
also you must know that front differential doesn handle a lot of power so most guys go rwd . The problem is that tiptronic +rwd will have traction issues unless you run slicks . Most guys go manual + lsd and rwd .

Old 11-28-2016, 11:28 AM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschecayenne92
also you must know that front differential doesn handle a lot of power so most guys go rwd . The problem is that tiptronic +rwd will have traction issues unless you run slicks . Most guys go manual + lsd and rwd .
I have a supercharged C7 that makes 620rwhp on low boost and has plenty left in that set up. That is my rwd fix. I really want a 911 TT for the awd. I definitely would not want to do a rwd conversion. Is the awd system on the 997 TT stronger than the 996? I see some of them making a lot of power and I believe they still have the awd in place.

What sort of budget would I set aside for the car + mods.

I was thinking 40k for the car and 30k for the set up? Is this realistic?

Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
The awd in the 997 is vastly superior to the 996. The 996 awd is ok but not great.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:26 PM
benw has a brilliant futurebenw has a brilliant futurebenw has a brilliant futurebenw has a brilliant futurebenw has a brilliant futurebenw has a brilliant futurebenw has a brilliant futurebenw has a brilliant futurebenw has a brilliant futurebenw has a brilliant futurebenw has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by flewis763
The awd in the 997 is vastly superior to the 996. The 996 awd is ok but not great.
Agree. If you want a 911 turbo and killer AWD, stay away from the 996.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:33 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Should be noted, the 997 front diff can be bolted into the 996 and electrically controlled, it's on my wish list

Old 11-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Should be noted, the 997 front diff can be bolted into the 996 and electrically controlled, it's on my wish list
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/112098472030

Old 11-29-2016, 05:09 PM
OK51MON is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
on a Tip forget about putting down 700 plus unless you do the trans...
650 hp MAX...
best
markski

You talking crank or whp?

Old 11-29-2016, 05:12 PM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
That's good to know. Don't want to jack the thread, but besides bolting it up, what other work is involved to have it controlled electronically?

Old 11-29-2016, 07:44 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
That's good to know. Don't want to jack the thread, but besides bolting it up, what other work is involved to have it controlled electronically?
I know Tim had it working about two years ago but I never saw info released publicly, if people know whats involved it would be nice to let the rest of the community in on it.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:28 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I've been told it's doable, I've seen Tim's vid, and I know it bolts up. It appears t be solenoid controlled but I'm not sure if it's simply on/off. I'd image that the AEM and ProEFI folks know how to do it since the 997 platforms have PnP options from those manufacturers. I'll get there one of these days I think, they come up on eBay pretty regularly...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.