996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Simple Hack exhaust for better sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:08 PM
bansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to all
Simple Hack exhaust for better sound?

What do you all think? Could it work for our turbos?

Old 12-22-2016, 02:53 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bansasn

What do you all think? Could it work for our turbos?
If you see the mod done to the stock exhaust where you drill a hole from the exhaust tip side, that accomplishes the same thing. Basically because the way our exhaust is made, welding is not required. Just a hole saw.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:01 PM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
As VAG said - much easier on a turbo.

Name:  IMG_0126.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  72.0 KB

What you are doing is drilling a hole to connect the tube leading int the muffler with the tube leading to the tailpipe.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ler-996tt.html

Old 12-22-2016, 05:09 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
I considered doing this for a lllllooooonnnnngggg time. Ended up getting a SpeedTech 2.5 x-cellerator w/cats... I got the quietest one they make and am in love with the sounds (both engine and turbo noises are distinguishable). I must mention that I drive a cabriolet, often with the top down, so my sound experience may be different than yours if you have a coupe. I'm sure you've seen their videos online. I must have listened to those clips a million times before pulling the trigger. I do not regret it one bit.

As a bonus, I still have my stock system in perfect collector quality condition for future use... just food for thought.

Last edited by Stebo; 12-22-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:56 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Stebo
I considered doing this for a lllllooooonnnnngggg time. Ended up getting a SpeedTech 2.5 x-cellerator w/cats... I got the quietest one they make and am in love with the sounds (both engine and turbo noises are distinguishable). I must mention that I drive a cabriolet, often with the top down, so my sound experience may be different than yours if you have a coupe. I'm sure you've seen their videos online. I must have listened to those clips a million times before pulling the trigger. I do not regret it one bit.

As a bonus, I still have my stock system in perfect collector quality condition for future use... just food for thought.
Own a 2004 996tt cab, car is mostly stock with the exception of a large hole cut into each side of the muffler by the previous owner . This to me is a crime, destroying an expensive stock part to alter the sound. Have since removed the muffler and replaced with an aftermarket set. Eventually will attempt to repair the stock unit which will be sold with the car when I decide to move on to my next Porsche.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:03 PM
bansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by stevemfr
As VAG said - much easier on a turbo.

What you are doing is drilling a hole to connect the tube leading int the muffler with the tube leading to the tailpipe.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ler-996tt.html

Old 12-22-2016, 10:38 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
The exhaust note significantly changes and is quieted too when it gets chopped up spinning the turbos on the TT models. Even with very expensive exhaust systems I've never heard one that can compare in sound to the intoxicating note produced in a N/A 996 with a simple muffler bypass hack that can be done for way under a C note at most any muffler shop. If I thought I could get a pleasant sound, racy, performance oriented, anything close to my 996 C2 with a Porsche Sport Exhaust or bypass hack, I would have done it years ago. I've been hanging around the TT forums for nearly a decade, going on 7 years owning mine and can't recall anyone falling in love with the sound of the TT exhaust regardless which complete system they chose or a gutted, drilled, modded stock one. Yes a bit more sound can he had, but it can't compare to a N/A non turbo model.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:03 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bansasn
Seriously? You are getting worked up due to a hole drilled internally in a muffler? Did you know that the "official" PES involved nothing more than Porsche welding a pipe bypass to the side mufflers on a NA 996/7 (albeit with a valve for noise emissions)? 2 holes there: one in each tube. The holes in a tt muffler achieve exactly the same thing: bypassing the main muffler with a portion of the exhauust gasses. Why the eeky face?

Originally Posted by nick49
The exhaust note significantly changes and is quieted too when it gets chopped up spinning the turbos on the TT models. Even with very expensive exhaust systems I've never heard one that can compare in sound to the intoxicating note produced in a N/A 996 with a simple muffler bypass hack... ...Yes a bit more sound can he had, but it can't compare to a N/A non turbo model.
Yes, but isn't that all forgotten pretty much every time you floor it?

The main thing that speaks against this "hack" is that the net gain in performance is zero. There was a guy who did a dyno test in the thread I quoted above, but the very small increase in mid-range torque he saw was more or less w/in the margin of error. All it does is make the car a little louder. If that's what you're looking for, tho, then do it to it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.