996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Question for Chad (CJV)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 08:56 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Question for Chad (CJV)

I was wondering if you can tell me (PM if you do not wish to publicize) which issue if Excellence (or any other mag) your car will be published.
TIA

Old 11-30-2003, 10:05 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
msindi,

I was told by Dave Colman (Feature Editor) that he believed it would be in The February 2004 issue. Excellence does not publish a January issue.

Old 11-30-2003, 11:55 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by cjv
msindi,

I was told by Dave Colman (Feature Editor) that he believed it would be in The February 2004 issue. Excellence does not publish a January issue.
With the December issue already out, that would mean the next issue is yours!! Can't wait to check that out. BTW, you stated the measured HP in excellence is lower than your car is now achieving. What is the corrected SAE HP they tested your car at?

Lou

Old 11-30-2003, 12:14 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
LSM,

At the dyno before the autocross in May it recorded 614 SAE rwhp. After that we added the CO2 bulbs in the "Y" and sprayers on the intercoolers. The dyno run on the same day as the 1/4 mile test recorded 562 SAE rwhp. The bulb was restricting the air intake. The bulb was removed and the "Y" was double jacketed instead. No restriction to the intake passage. The Excellence article incorporates both events.

The car is currently producing 626 rwhp @ 7400 rpm's @ 1.2 bar without NOS. With NOS just over 700 rwhp.

Old 11-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Banned
sticky is on a distinguished road
700 rwhp with the new rods or without?

Old 11-30-2003, 06:02 PM
cjv
The 700 hp run was on stock rods. So far no problems. The rods are scheduled to be changed next month.

Old 11-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Banned
sticky is on a distinguished road
How much nitrous are you using? When you put the new rods in are you going to increase boost or the amount of nitrous since the bottom end will be stronger?

Old 11-30-2003, 09:13 PM
cjv
sticky,

I am running a two stage (75 and 50 shot wet) with a pulsed programmer, WOT switch and window pill switch. I will not add any more nitrous to this motor. I will raise the boost to 1.4 bar.

Last edited by cjv; 11-30-2003 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:24 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Chad,

I know you mentioned this before, but, what turbos are you running and what turbos do you recommend for emphasis on low end, mid range and minimal turbo lag. Of coarse longevity has to be considered as well. Also, what does it mean ball-bearing turbos(as in Tyson's car) and non-ball-bearing k16-k24 hybrid turbos that Kevin says are superior? Which is better?

Lou

Old 11-30-2003, 09:42 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
sticky,

I am running a two stage (75 and 50 shot wet) with a pulsed programmer, WOT switch and window pill switch. I will not add any more nitrous to this motor. I will raise the boost to 1.4 bar.
THeres somthing you don't see everyday in a turbo
Evan
PS-Chad, I would love to see the look on a dealer's face if you pulled in with you beast!!

Old 11-30-2003, 09:46 PM
cjv
LSM,

I am running a K16 with martinsenic 235 impellars on the hot side. The K16's have been machined for larger size impellars and different bearings. My inducer side is Garrett (ball bearing). I believe they are called 25/37's.

I believe for low/mid range power the zero clearance would be hard to beat. The verdict is still out as to reliability. I only know of two sets that are out with no time on either of them. In there favor, Kevin is extremely sharp with turbos. He is also a very straight shooter.

The KKK's impellars rotate on a pressed fit bearing while the Garretts rotate on a ball bearing. The ball bearings rotate easier and faster. They are also cooled by oil and/or water. My understanding is the KKK's do have a longer longevity than the Garrets. How long, that is up for debate. I also understand the KKK's can be rebuilt while the Garrets cannot or are not due to expense. The Garrett's in my opinion make alot more maximum power which usually occurs in the rpm range past 5000 rpm's. My car really starts to make power at 3800 rpm's and doesn't make maximum hp until 7400 rpm's.

Remember, smaller hot side turbo's spool up faster, less lag. Wraping your headers will also reduce lag.

Hope this helped.

Last edited by cjv; 11-30-2003 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:57 PM
LSM
Thanks alot Chad, really clarifies things for me, I think I got it now. Does Kevin have a website? Also, if I get the zero clearance turbos, who can write the new programming required and what other things would I need?

Lou

Old 11-30-2003, 10:07 PM
cjv
Todd @ Protomotive could write programming as could GIAC. It's not that difficult. It is my opinion, based on the reduced clearances, the zero clearance has the potention of another 10%. All it is doing is adding more air (oxygen) which requires more fuel, which in turn makes more power. I believe the idea is a great one.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:44 AM
LSM
Originally posted by cjv
Todd @ Protomotive could write programming as could GIAC. It's not that difficult. It is my opinion, based on the reduced clearances, the zero clearance has the potention of another 10%. All it is doing is adding more air (oxygen) which requires more fuel, which in turn makes more power. I believe the idea is a great one.
Yeah, sounds great and a fairly easy bolt on upgrade.

Lou

Old 12-01-2003, 05:39 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Better hope that NOS stuff does'nt leak into the cabin, otherwise:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question for Chad (CJV)