996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why upgrade the Diverter Valves & Boost Hoses!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 11:17 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Why upgrade the Diverter Valves & Boost Hoses!

Hoses and Diverter Valves on the GT2
So today we had another perfectly good looking (Midnight blue rocks) 996TT come in for some minor updrages (it already has the Stage II Kit, Europipe Exhaust and PSS9s). We added an EVO intake and the EVO hoses as well as some Billet Diverter Valves. The customer stated that his CEL had come on a few times and then gone off again in the last month or so. James took off the bumper before I even got to scanning the car and this is what he saw (check the two pix). Notice how the boost hose from the y-pipe and intercooler is showing its ugly end? This did suprise me because I've previously only been using the Upgraded hose kit on stage IV and above cars or any 2001 (which has older style hoses). It was already bleeding boost and showing a couple of on/off CELs but either way the timing was good and in went the hoses:

The Hoses we use:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=9

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2006, 11:19 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
In fact Tommy's GT2 had it even worse... the hose came right out and the car stalled/died

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2006, 11:22 AM
That wasn't the end of it though.. we swapped DV's and decided to cut one open since it wasn't holding pressure properly....

Sure enough here's that crappy Bosch Diverter Valve. Notice the "tiny" tear in the rubber boot? The billet ones have a piston and don't have that issue:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=30

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
It only takes a small tear for them to be finished

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Toothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really nice
So what are you trying to tell me, I need a hose kit, too?

Last edited by Toothzilla; 01-13-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
fdb996c2 will become famous soon enoughfdb996c2 will become famous soon enough
They were a little pricey, but I'm glad they are in there now. Quality is outstanding.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Toothzilla
So what are you trying to tell me, I need a hose kit, too?
Heya Chris,

I _honestly_ didn't think the Stage II cars needed it (other than 01s) but it seems like any cars that boost 1bar or so, over time, do end up with this issue... I think back when the cars were newer and had less miles it didn't crop up as much until a stage IV car.

So I wouldn't say you _need_ them per se but it's decent insurance I remember back at the shoot out, ever single car there used them- no matter what company.

PS I test them out by "swinging" from the bottom one that goes to the IC

Old 01-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by fdb996c2
They were a little pricey, but I'm glad they are in there now. Quality is outstanding.
Cheers Fred and it was great to see you again.. I'll get those pictures of the wing off to Misha too! Car looks darned HAWT. Makes me really wish I had gotten that blue GT2 when I had the chance...

Old 01-13-2006, 01:56 PM
fdb996c2 will become famous soon enoughfdb996c2 will become famous soon enough
Thanks -- yeah, I'm really pleased with the wing. If the weather cooperates this weekend, I'll clean it up and take some pics.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Damn nice work Sharky.

I use these hoses a lot .... much cheaper.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Eric you are too naughty! THanks for the gear btw.. Got those

PS I actually forgot to mention... Can I get a "black" door plug... For my own car? Customers come first and all....

Old 01-13-2006, 09:42 PM
tom91722 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by sharkster
In fact Tommy's GT2 had it even worse... the hose came right out and the car stalled/died
Yup, Alex and James did the EVO stage IV (less headers im cheap) and I was driving home from work and was going !@# MPH at full boost 1.3 Bar and POP!!!!!!

I had blew the hoses clean off in a weeks time after the stage IV install AWESOME

So I got pissed and left it on the side of the road with the keys in it call porsche roadside and told them where the car was and went home and got the Gallardo.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Tommy you always have the best stories man.. and you're our test pilot for these cars because nobody.. and I mean NOBODY drives as hard as you lol

The hoses are essential in my op. Every single car during the shoot out used 'em so...

Sounds like your car is gonna be faster than mine soon!

Old 01-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Alex, your door plug is on the way, no charge bud. Appreciate your business.

How'd you like that last package, shipped AND delivered same day....

Old 01-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Eric you are waaay too good and kind! The cool thing about the hood crests was that it was for a cayenne Turbo we were finishing off that was to be displayed. That was the finishing touch

PS I know man.. I was like? Did I screw somehting up? Did I miss two-three days of work or what... Talk about fast!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why upgrade the Diverter Valves & Boost Hoses!