996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First DE of the year: Pacific Raceways 3/11/17; Joe Toth intake scoops tested

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:21 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
First DE of the year: Pacific Raceways 3/11/17; Joe Toth intake scoops tested

I've been meaning to post this for a bit, finally having a chance to sit down and put some thoughts down. Participated in my first track day of the year a couple of weekends ago at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA. It was a cold (40-42*F), rainy, wet and generally awful day to be at the track, but it was my first time at this track so I decided to use it as a day to just learn the layout.. Plus I feel like I learn more in the wet and when I come back in the dry I will be noticeably quicker than before a wet day.

Fortunately towards the later sessions, things did start to dry out in certain areas so there was some fun. NT01s on a wet cold track day is more of a hinderance than a benefit I think

While I was there, I installed/tested IATs using Joe Toth's intercooler scoops with my 997.2 GT2RS intercoolers- I only got in 1 session with the scoops on, but there was measurable difference; I will admit that the pace was slightly different as far as lap times since I was running into more traffic during this session, but I was reaching similar speeds (140-145 mph on main straight) in both sessions. The results speak for themselves IMO. I attached chart from my datalogs below. The left chart is with the intercooler scoops, the right chart is without. The max temp is consistently significantly lower. I am very pleased with this addition and think it will benefit even more in summer months.

Also this was my first time at the track since I have done any modifications to the car outside of the intercoolers which I added within the first few weeks of ownership.... Having added more power via exhaust and a tune (entirely unnecessary btw) the car ran flawlessly and was so much more of an experience. I have been anxious to get on the track with a MAFless tune since I have heard stories of hesitation and similar unwanted behavior when coming on and off throttle or under maintenance throttle and I can report that on this day with the tune by Sam at By Design, the car ran as smooth as ever. I have no regrets going this route and I would be the first to say if I was not happy with things and have Sam working on something to get the car where I want it.

Anyway, enough talk. Here's the logs of IAT over time, and a few photos that were taken and a video clip that a friend took. Unfortunately the photographers had taken off by the last session or just didnt get any of my car with the scoops, so I added an extra one for that. Next day out will be on 4/8 also at Pacific Raceways, hope to see some of you there!

Chris.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IAT_Comparison.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	472442   Click image for larger version

Name:	996-6.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	472443   Click image for larger version

Name:	996-3.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	472444   Click image for larger version

Name:	996-4.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	472445   Click image for larger version

Name:	17239795_10155160448389394_565734031762113871_o.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	472446  

Click image for larger version

Name:	996-5.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	472447  
Old 03-22-2017, 06:51 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Should definitely help with intercooler recovery too. Love mine!
Nice job with the data

Old 03-22-2017, 11:26 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Think you forgot the one with the scoops, same color as my car so I'm pretty interested! I'm interested in these scoops and really appreciate the data!

Old 03-23-2017, 10:23 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Think you forgot the one with the scoops, same color as my car so I'm pretty interested! I'm interested in these scoops and really appreciate the data!
Ha! You're right, I did. I'll add another photo when I get back to a PC vs mobile

Old 03-23-2017, 11:20 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Looks like fun. I like you wing up high.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Looks like fun. I like you wing up high.
Thanks! Hardware store modification to the stock pieces. Super easy. Completely reversible, manually adjustable.. Can go slightly higher... I also measured and used shims to adjust the angle of attack so it was closer to the actual GT2 wing AoA compared to how the add-on wing normally sits.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 AM
Here ya go... Car is wet/dirty but I forgot to upload any last night so snapped a couple this morning..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9961.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	472558   Click image for larger version

Name:	9962.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	472559   Click image for larger version

Name:	9963.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	472560   Click image for larger version

Name:	9964.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	472561  
Old 03-25-2017, 01:34 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
C/F or just black gel coat?

Old 03-25-2017, 12:41 PM
C/F or just black gel coat?
C/F... hard to tell in the lighting. Figured I'd get the C/F and if I didn't like it I could always paint it.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:48 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Would love to see these painted to match a body color other than black or silver. Any pics out there?
-V

Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Would love to see these painted to match a body color other than black or silver. Any pics out there?
-V
Yes, here

Old 03-26-2017, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
C/F... hard to tell in the lighting. Figured I'd get the C/F and if I didn't like it I could always paint it.
I have the same color as you, what do you think of them so far in person? I'm kind of the same mind as you, C/F can always be painted. I know Joe has to work harder to make them but...

Old 03-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4S
Yes, here
Thanks! I'm looking for pics where they're painted to match the body color on, say, a red, blue or yellow car.

-V

Old 03-26-2017, 10:59 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Awesome. Wait till we go over suspension set-up!

Old 03-27-2017, 02:02 PM
I have the same color as you, what do you think of them so far in person? I'm kind of the same mind as you, C/F can always be painted. I know Joe has to work harder to make them but...
I like them a lot! The fitment is great. It looks really good when the car is clean, but when it has a little dirt on it the carbon weave isn't as noticeable so they look like unpainted black pieces. I was worried it was going to look a little too JDM tuner style, but it goes well. It's pretty subtle to people who don't know these cars from what I've experienced thus far.

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Awesome. Wait till we go over suspension set-up!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.