996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD - Machine Spindles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
RWD - Machine Spindles

Hi RWD converts.

I'm interested in trimming the weight off the front spindles. Obviously don't want to compromise the strength or affect the ABS function.

How much material should remain next the teeth ? Machine right down the the teeth (left picture) or leave the flange (right picture) ?

It would be great to get a recommendation from someone that has experience with this mod.

Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2017, 04:26 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
You can machine right down to the teeth, maybe leave a mm or two. The flange serves no purpose, it's just dead weight... been there done that. Look at a pic of the GT2/boxster spindles, there is zero material outside the spindles. You can probably look up my FS thread from a few years ago where I had pics of the machined awd spindles.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 04-19-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
You can machine right down to the teeth, maybe leave a mm or two. The flange serves no purpose, it's just dead weight... been there done that. Look at a pic of the GT2/boxster spindles, there is zero material outside the spindles. You can probably look up my FS thread from a few years ago where I had pics of the machined awd spindles.
Perfect, thanks

Old 04-21-2017, 12:12 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
Here's my machined axle deletes vs. stock, I was able to cut down 3lbs between the two. You can definitely shave off some material to save weight.

Name:  CBDE4D7E-17F2-402F-A1CB-DD968150E692_zpscrn8zjb6.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  1.23 MB

Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Does it really make that much of a difference removing that weight? Is it essentially just unsprung mass like removing 3lbs of weight from the wheel?

Old 04-22-2017, 07:02 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by daedalus
Does it really make that much of a difference removing that weight? Is it essentially just unsprung mass like removing 3lbs of weight from the wheel?
Unsprung and rotation mass are the 2 best things to slim down on. 3lb on that is like loosing 30lb elsewhere in the car.
I need to cut mine down too.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:30 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by daedalus
Any reduction of weight from the suspension is a good thing and will provide a benefit. Removing weight from the axles will provide much less benefit however than removing it from the wheels as the weight is in the center as opposed to the outboard of the wheel where it really counts against you..

Old 04-22-2017, 03:25 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I suspect those are both steel? ABS ring wouldn't work otherwise...

Old 04-22-2017, 09:46 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, they are steel. One piece vs. OEM two piece (spindle & ABS ring)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.