996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear tire wear update.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:26 AM
theprf is a name known to alltheprf is a name known to alltheprf is a name known to alltheprf is a name known to alltheprf is a name known to alltheprf is a name known to all
Might be too late for this... if you had caught this earlier could you have remounted the left tire onto the right rim and vica/versa to get more life out of them? I suppose it would depend on mount/balance costs.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:21 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by theprf
Might be too late for this... if you had caught this earlier could you have remounted the left tire onto the right rim and vica/versa to get more life out of them? I suppose it would depend on mount/balance costs.
I've done that in the past. The only guy I trust with my wheels is an hour from me, plus only does it on Saturdays. Run out of hours in the day...then boom...to late.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
it's degrees. So .50 total. When I ran the stock alignment, I destroyed tires.

and to the above, yes. The car is 95% highway. Almost zero turns.

the tires should be wearing near perfect with only a minor indicator of the inside. Re-align the car.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:35 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by s65e90
the tires should be wearing near perfect with only a minor indicator of the inside. Re-align the car.
cool. What alignment?

Old 03-08-2019, 05:10 PM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
Any updates since? I'm contemplating changing out some rear suspension components to fix a similar wear pattern and mileage.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gadangit
Any updates since? I'm contemplating changing out some rear suspension components to fix a similar wear pattern and mileage.
Unless the rear suspension components are worn out or you just want to replace them the tire wear is not due to components but to the component alignment.

Rear toe is set too aggressively. I don't have my Turbo's alignment data sheets handy but when I took the car in to have it aligned I asked the dealer Porsche tech to center the steering wheel and give the car an alignment that would result in even rear tire wear without compromising the car's road manners and stability at speed.

Every time the tech obliged me and afterwards it was not uncommon to get 20K+ miles from a set of rear tires on my Turbo (about the same number of miles I managed from rear tires on my Boxster) with tread wear even across the entire tread face. Might add this was not just some super talented tech. A number of different techs, good, experienced techs I might add, over the years aligned my car and each was able to deliver the same proper alignment.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:13 PM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
I am pretty sure my last alignment the toe in was within spec and the camber was slightly off due to lowered H&R street coilovers. I was planning on raising the rear just a bit and swapping out the rear LCA bushings. That seems to be the consensus on fixing inner tire wear. Everything the OP has written perfectly describes my situation, hence the thread revival.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
With H&Rs you generally need adjustable toe rods or the eccentric toe rod bushings to be able to get both toe and camber in adjustment. Otherwise you end up with too much camber or (correction) too much toe in. Adjustable LCAs will also fix it but cost more.

Last edited by Third-Reef; 03-09-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:37 AM
Am i thinking correctly that I don't have much farther that I can raise up the car?

Old 03-09-2019, 11:55 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Yes - It looks like you have nowhere to go.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:04 AM
Story of my life!

Old 03-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gadangit
I am pretty sure my last alignment the toe in was within spec and the camber was slightly off due to lowered H&R street coilovers. I was planning on raising the rear just a bit and swapping out the rear LCA bushings. That seems to be the consensus on fixing inner tire wear. Everything the OP has written perfectly describes my situation, hence the thread revival.
My experience at least with my Boxster is tire wear is unaffected by camber, well, a reasonable amount of too much camber. When I had the car aligned -- at a very highly regarded indy alignment shop -- the rear tires ended up with a bit more than the normal camber. The reading wasn't in the red but it was at the very top of the allowed camber. I was concerned about the effect this might have on tire wear but I was assured it would not affect it one bit. I had my doubts but left. However, what I was told proved to be right. Tire wear was just fine and the car's road manners were also just fine.

If one can follow a Porsche he can see that once underway the rear wheels/tires straighten up and the tires are in full contact with the pavement. It is the toe which can cause the rear tires assume a position underway that leads to the inner edges wearing.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:18 PM
dannobee is an unknown quantity at this point
Put a coil-over spacer between the bottom of the spring and the spanner nuts.
http://www.colemanracing.com/Coil-Ov...cer-P4174.aspx
As far as the tire wear, the rear toe is off. Camber, even a LOT of negative, won't wear the tires that much, or that quickly. Also, on the lowered cars, the bump steer does wacky things near the end of the suspension's travel, so it needs to at least be checked (or return the car closer to the stock ride height).
I should probably do a tutorial on checking and adjusting bump steer. It was a weekly check on our Tour Cars.
As for addressing the problem before it gets that bad, keep an eye on tire wear with an accurate tread wear gauge.
Amazon Amazon

The tread depth gauge, tire durometer, and an infrared pyrometer were used religiously every time the car hit the track.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:59 AM
As an update again....tires wear perfect! Still no adjustable toe links either .. So...don't worry about those 19s. Fake news.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:32 AM
Awesome! Do you happen to remember what your alignment specs are?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.