996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which LSD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:27 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Interested in a Wavetrac but keep the awd

Old 11-14-2017, 03:52 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
The quaife is cheap compaired to the other mentioned LSD like 997 Cup et cetera.
As far as i understood they are all LSD just the technic to achieve it is different (Plates/Gears).
Since you can leave the transmission in the car, the swop should be done in a couple of hours.
A properly set up high end LSD set up to your particular application will cost $4-5K. To do the job properly, your gearbox really needs to come out. At the end of the day Steffen, you get what you pay for. It's all about bringing the right weapon to the fight. There is a reason Porsche has never ever used anything but a clutch type LSD in any of their road racing application. You have to decide what is best for your use and what tradeoffs you are willing to accept. Depending on your goals, a much cheaper TBD alternative may be a great option for you.

Your $5K Motorsport Cup/Guard LSD can be compared to $10K 3-way high end Motorsport shocks like JRZs/MCS in the same way your $1K Quife/Wavetrack can be compared to $3K PSS10s or other budget coil overs. All get the job done in one form or another and it's up to you to figure out what is appropriate or sufficient for your use. Just because something is more expensive does not necessarily make it better. Sometimes the cheaper option is the better option. In the same way that PSS10s are a much better choice than a using a 3-way race shock in a street car, a Quife/Wavetrack TBD is a probably a better choice than a high preload motorsport LSD. The exact opposite would be true for a no compromise track set up. Different strokes for different folks..

Last edited by pwdrhound; 11-18-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Third-Reef
On a quaife if you lift a wheel = no torque, you loose the torque to the other wheel also. Vs limited slip where the wheels are essentially locked together with a limited amount of slip allowed between them, even if one is off the ground
Not the case... If you lift one wheel - the other wheel gets all the torque. I had a Quaife on a previous car and would put one on my TT without a second thought. The case you describe above is simply open diff.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:07 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slider
Not the case... If you lift one wheel - the other wheel gets all the torque. I had a Quaife on a previous car and would put one on my TT without a second thought. The case you describe above is simply open diff.
as you say, open diff situations are eliminated with the addition of ANY "type" of an lsd, whether plate type ( traditional ) or a "torque biasing differential".

i think the key to the debate, as to which is better suited to the car? has to do with the primary goals and applications as john has reasonably pointed out.

for a purely track focused weapon? sure, go with one of the guard offerings for track proven utility. however, if the car is a dual duty primary street driven car? there is NO situation in which you will find the TBD type ( whether quaife OR wavetrac ) to be lacking.

there is a reason even guard makes both their own proprietary plate type lsd's available, alongside their TBD "lsd".

different strokes, for different folks, applications, and price points. neither application or "type" ultimately chosen, will be accompanied with regret.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:22 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
I have the 997 cup in mine, it feels great on the track and street. On a high speed sweeper or a tight on ramp with the power down.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
clutch/plate LSD...GT2/3, Guard, Cup

Old 11-15-2017, 08:16 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
This is a heavily departed topic but it really comes down to use and needs. The wavetrac is what I'd suggest to 99% of people. It has all the positives of both a clutch style and torsen style diff with the negatives of neither. It's also very affordable.

now if you have a straight track car, a clutch style is what you want because you can get 100% lock out of it as well as time it for your needs. Cost is much much greater though and will have to be rebuilt over time.

imo on anything that's a street car/weekend warrior, the wavetrac is the best decision

Old 11-15-2017, 12:33 PM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Thx guys for all your Input and Infos. I will reconsider my decision and will think about a wavetrack. Seems to be best of both worlds.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Scawt is just really niceScawt is just really niceScawt is just really niceScawt is just really nice
Originally Posted by 993GT
clutch/plate LSD...GT2/3, Guard, Cup
x2 - I have the Guard pro in my car.

How many people with the wavetrac actually have track experience with it?

Old 11-17-2017, 07:22 AM
Scawt is just really niceScawt is just really niceScawt is just really niceScawt is just really nice
Linking to someone elses youtube videos is great personal feedback... I'm actually talking about the people with 996 turbos that claim wavetrac is for them.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:31 AM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
^ I'll add,IMHO also having a Boxster, (and talking roadcourse/cornering performance, not drag/straight) I could see Wavetrac/Quiafe/TBD having more merit on that platform vs a 911, which really likes having lock-up as a clutch style gives, particularly on corner entry and transitions...

Old 11-17-2017, 11:36 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
you say this as if its a bad thing. heres something your awesome guard unit doesnt have that the wavetrac does. a lifetime warrenty against failure. break it they fix it no questions asked. my buddy i drag race with broke a pinion gear and destroyed the internals of his wavetrac. sent it back and they fully replaced any bad parts and all he paid was shipping.

you asked if anyone was using it on the track. i showed you they were. corvettes use it bmw uses it and so does lamborghini. are there specific 996 cars using it? im sure there are . is it a huge difference between front and rear engine cars? sure. but the diff works and its reasonably priced and customer service is second to none.

for the 20 or so hard core road racers on this forum sure buy a guard. for the other 6000 folk that track once a month or twice a yr and street use it theres not a better priced and workable unit on the market
just my .02 and with 5$ you get a cup of coffee. take it for what its worth. i have a wavetrac in 4 vehicles 2 porsche turbo 996 and 2 m/b amg cars. love the way it performs but im just a lowly drag racer
I agree with you that the Guards unit isnt for everyone, and most people who only street drive and canyon run and the "lowly" as you call it drag racers the wavetrac is all they need and you don't have to worry about maintenance and rebuilds like the Guards. The Guards is more of a race car part and isn't going to be maintenance free, but the rebuilds should only be every 2-3 seasons if you track hard and several years if you don't.

With that said regarding the warranty, Im not sure I've ever seen a Guards unit fail... Also I don't think many Guards diffs get drag raced so that could play a role. IMO, one of the harshest conditions you can put on a diff is a high rpm clutch drop on sticky track. I've done the drag race thing and it's a whole different ballgame and feels much more... harsh environment I guess.. than road course.

That said, I have a Guards unit and that's what I would recommend to people that ask me, but I can totally see the cost to performance benefit of the wavetrac for 98% of users who can't go wrong either way.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:25 PM
believe the Guard Pro+ is pretty popular on some of the fastest/big HP 911's as well, very tough/over built.
Agree Wavetrac offers excellent bang for buck over open diffs...just depends on usage

Old 11-17-2017, 01:31 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
the main difference is the guard unit will need to be rebuilt on a regular basis no matter the use. for the wavetrac run it until it breaks then let the warrenty do the rebuild. that was the point i was trying to make. theres no doubt the guard is a high quality well made unit. but it does have its shortcomings however slight they may be
I think we are in total agreement just saying it in a different way

Old 11-17-2017, 02:27 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 993GT
believe the Guard Pro+ is pretty popular on some of the fastest/big HP 911's as well, very tough/over built.
Agree Wavetrac offers excellent bang for buck over open diffs...just depends on usage
I run the Guard pro Chromoly, no issue with >850lbs torque.
Without it the car was often lighting the PSM at the dash during heavy accels, since it the traction is better even in straight line.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.