996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 Slave Conversion - Slave Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
GT2 Slave Conversion - Slave Failure

Last winter I dropped my engine and trans to install a Wavetrac TBD, pin coolant fittings and complete the drill and tap GT2 conversion.

I've been running the upgraded sachs clutch , PP and LWFW for several years. These parts were in great shape except the TO bearing which was replaced.

I did all the work myself (except the wavetrac) on my lift. Followed the great DIY here and installed a new master, rubber hose, slave and fork. I clearanced the trans housing to ensure the fork would not bind.

I was concerned about the slave failing due to residual pentosin in the system (as experienced by several others). Used my motive bleeder and flushed three containers worth of soapy water thru the old master and green hard line into a bucket, followed by 2 liters of new DOT3. The new master, rubber hose and slave were installed after the flush cleaning. Ran some new fluid thru the system, done.

The conversion was working as advertised, one of my favorite upgrades.

Decided to go for a drive last weekend. A few miles out the clutch pedal hits the floor. I thought I was home free after over 6 months and several thousand spirited miles.

Dragged her home and up on the lift. No leaks or weeping, full reservoir. Has to be the master or slave. I will be pulling the slave to make sure the rod did not come out of the slave.

Has anyone else experienced a GT2 conversion slave failure after a few months of good operation? Any thoughts on the cause of failure ?

Old 11-28-2017, 11:30 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Probably still had some in there.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I've been converted for over 2 years now - all good here.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:13 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I had the first one fail, the second has been good. The seal failed on the hose coupler recently.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:52 PM
LukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to behold
Not to derail, but what is wrong with original pentosin hydraulic fluid? moisture or what?
thx

Old 11-29-2017, 09:16 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
you need to use dot4 on the gt2 slave conversion. many have suffered the consequences of either trying to re-use ch11s after the swap. as i understand it. flush and rinse and repeat to ensure there is zero pentosin remaining in the system. then fill with dot 4. you might wanna change upgrade the cap up front also to specify dot4. as a reminder.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:07 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LukesportsmanX
Not to derail, but what is wrong with original pentosin hydraulic fluid? moisture or what?
thx
extremely corrosive and flammable.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
The slave is out, relatively simple procedure vs. accumulator set-up.

Rod is sitting properly in the slave, ran the inspection camera in and see the fork is also place. No visible leaks, fluid level good was as mentioned before. Not sure how to test if the slave has failed without replacing it.

I'm failing to see how there was any pentosin left in the system. The only section that could have had contained any was the green line which was flushed with several liters.

There are several examples of owners replacing the slave right after this conversion. The theory is usually residual pentosin. It would be good to identify a solid cleaning procedure that eliminates a redo.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:28 PM
My idea is to run a can of.brake clean down the line.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.