996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which LSD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Which LSD?

Hi guys,

i want to install a LSD, so i can get rid of the AWD for Drift events and for the road race track.
I want to install quaife. The 997 Cup/GT2/3 or such are maintenance intensive.
Anyone uses this quaife LSD?
http://quaife.co.uk/

Cheers

Old 11-14-2017, 04:24 AM
Mpsuk will become famous soon enough
Subscribed, I’m interested to hear peoples experience with this. The awd on these card doesn’t seem great and restricts rear tyre choices. I have 12.5” wide rears but can only use 315 tyres! I’m thinking, get rid of awd and put a good lsd and maybe 355 rear rubber?

Old 11-14-2017, 04:32 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
The tyres are on side effect when going to rwd. I want to learn to handle the car better, and getting a better driver. Thats impossivble with awd.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:57 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
The 997 Cup/GT2/3 or such are maintenance intensive.
Cheers
They are not...simple misinformation.. A good quality properly set up LSD is nearly bulletproof with virtually no required maintenance. A Quife or other gear diffs are not LSDs. They are TBDs (torque bias diff) with no ability to fully lock. Different animals.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 11-14-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Where is the difference? I know BMW uses quaife in all M Models and the models where you can order it.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
On a quaife if you lift a wheel = no torque, you loose the torque to the other wheel also. Vs limited slip where the wheels are essentially locked together with a limited amount of slip allowed between them, even if one is off the ground

Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Thx. Understood.
So for drifting and a little road racing the quaife should suit my needs.

Seems to work quite nicely.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Hi guys,

i want to install a LSD, so i can get rid of the AWD for Drift events and for the road race track.
I want to install quaife. The 997 Cup/GT2/3 or such are maintenance intensive.
Anyone uses this quaife LSD?
http://quaife.co.uk/

Cheers
Get either a Guard LSD, GT2/3 (with steel clutch versus bronze) or a cup LSD retuned for street static lockup. Those will outlast your transmission.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Mpsuk will become famous soon enough
What is the approximate cost? Is it a big job? Tia

Old 11-14-2017, 10:25 AM
The quaife is cheap compaired to the other mentioned LSD like 997 Cup et cetera.
As far as i understood they are all LSD just the technic to achieve it is different (Plates/Gears).
Since you can leave the transmission in the car, the swop should be done in a couple of hours.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:26 PM
dos531 has a spectacular aura aboutdos531 has a spectacular aura about
The quaife is cheap compaired to the other mentioned LSD like 997 Cup et cetera.
As far as i understood they are all LSD just the technic to achieve it is different (Plates/Gears).
Since you can leave the transmission in the car, the swop should be done in a couple of hours.
If they're doing it in a couple hours its not being done properly. It should be done with the trans out of the car so they can measure and shim the diff properly.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:31 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Couple of hours??? Most reputable shops are 4-8 hours. As far as cost goes, you can find used GT3 LSDs sub $1000 plus add $1000 for either cup clutch discs or guard clutch discs and you have an actual proven reliable locking differential versus a torque biasing differential. If you are set on a torsion helical type torque biasing differential, the quaife have been good from what I hear. But my suggestion is determine what type of differential fits what you need then establish your budget based on that. Because you are not just paying for the part, you are paying for the installation which most shops will be in the $800-1000 range plus fluids, bearings and shims washers. So it is not unheard of to be $400 just installation supplies on too of labor.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:18 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
For street use though a simple wavetrac would be sufficient? I can't recall a time in my ownership where i've lifted a wheel canyon carving or spirited backroad driving? I get for hitting rumble strips at a track or something but there is a significant price difference between a wavetrac and a proper LSD (1kish vs. 5kish?)?

Old 11-14-2017, 01:56 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
it is cheaper for a reason.

it is not being properly installed if doing it that fast. lot of measurements and tolerances need to be checked/re-checked, need new bearings and re-shim it, it is not a take one out, put new one in kind of job unless you don't care about your gearset.

Originally Posted by daedalus
For street use though a simple wavetrac would be sufficient? I can't recall a time in my ownership where i've lifted a wheel canyon carving or spirited backroad driving? I get for hitting rumble strips at a track or something but there is a significant price difference between a wavetrac and a proper LSD (1kish vs. 5kish?)?
for the street, it will probably be ok in most situations, but I dont know what situations it would not be ok or what could cause it... hit a bump mid corner? who knows.

My personal experience with torque biasing diff vs true LSD on a high power street driven car (ran 9s at 150+ mph) is not with this platform, but what I noticed is that torque bias diff, the car tended to gently fishtail left to right to left to right when tires broke loose, where the clutch type LSD i replaced it with made the car track straight when tires spinning. I assume the side to side motion came from how the torque bias diff functions with sending power back and forth to whichever side has more grip where as the clutch type diff locks it. I didn't realize how unstable it was until I changed it. Don't know if same will translate to this platform. Maybe the diff in that car was failing, maybe Porsche behave different, maybe wavetrac torque biasing is better than an OEM (lol) torque biasing. There are differences, drive both and see if it is worth the money. I can tell the difference from driving with one diff to the other in acceleration, braking, but I never really drove that car hard on corners with the torque bias diff.

For me I look at like this: one works as it should most of the time, one works as it should all of the time. I don't personally know any road course guys, even casual track day guys that spend most time on street, running the wavetrac style diffs in these cars. And some cars that come from factory with torque biasing diffs switch to clutch type diffs for consistency as i mention above.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
lifetime warrenty and able to handle 1000 hp to the wheels. its been used for yrs on corvettes bmw m/b mustang and others for both road and drag duty. for the street you will barely notice its there. i have one in mine took 2 hrs 2 shims and a new bearing on the d/s havent looked back. rwd with a tbd is the mack daddy! like a porsche should be
please consider this my annual agreement that the wavetrac TBD lsd is far and away the most rewarding mod i have done to the car.. and it DOES "lock" contrary to what some report to the contrary.

it willl allow you to "drift" and "throttle steer" your car while running rwd in ways that are just not possible with the awd setup. all for 1200 bucks with a lifetime guarantee, and no plates to ever need replacing.

at the very least, it is worth further investigation if your attempting to go rwd and do not want to end up being ONE wheel drive lol. trans does need to be dropped to re-shim and set the lash spec.

it will totally transfom the car.

add: it does NOT allow or contribute to "fishtail or "tailwag" under extreme braking. in my experience.

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 11-14-2017 at 02:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.