996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Picking up 996TT Cab this weekend.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 05:26 PM
996TTNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Washed up nicely. Not detailed yet. Gonna drive her a lot first

Looked into a Kenwood stereo with Apple Play, etc. Tech said I wouldn’t need an amp. Ok by me. Pricey though. Can’t stand regular radio and I gave away all my old cd’s, so I think it’s wirth it.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:43 AM
jdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to behold
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-996-mkii.html I did this in mine for stereo. I like the functionality... ipad for waze and laptimer is pretty great

Old 05-11-2018, 05:30 AM

Wow! The IPad mini looks great! Well done.

I like the Kenwood unit. It sounds ok, not as good as I hoped. I like the little pocket in place of the cd holder. The cable is to connect my iPhone. I’m used to Apple CarPlay in my other car and having my phone tethered. There’s another brand that has a wireless set up for CarPlay that in hindsight I would have gone with, but I saved a few bucks.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Blk04996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats..
Here's my Black cab. Enjoy as is for now... Then go for some easy mods 997 shifter, Cobb, and a nice Kline exhaust.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:13 AM

Update. Enjoying the car. It’s so damn nice I find myself not wanting to drive it to save the miles, and that’s just crazy! Bought it to drive it. Briefly I still had the ‘00 911, I drove it around for errands, keeping the 996tt in the garage. It was fun driving the ‘00 around, and appreciating it for the great car that it is. Now that the ‘00 911 is gone, and the thought of wanting to preserve the ‘04 996tt, I’ve been looking at the ads for a 911 for tooling around in. Even mentioned buying the ‘00 back from my friend. We laughed it off, but it’s a thought.

So, the next dilemma is keeping the ‘04 996tt stock or put about 10k in some nice mods, have a badass car, and drive it like I want to and let go of the desire to preserve it like it’s a collectible car. I can imagine lots of miles over the next few years, but so what? If I put 100k miles on it, spend 10k on the mods and the car’s worth 25k or whatever at that point, I will have had my fun. Life is short, I’m thinking let go of the preservation idea. But then, I think what if in 10 years had the car if pampered, left stock and it ends up with say 50 to 75k miles and it would have been worth double what I paid, I’d want to kick myself. And, last thought here, maybe it will last with proper care for many more miles (say 150, 200k, or more) and I just drive it forever? The reputation of the Mezger being bulletproof and the build quality of Porsches, I’m thinking this is the best plan.

What’s that saying about having cake and eating it too?

Anyone else had similar thoughts and what conclusions or plans did you decide on?

Old 05-20-2018, 08:21 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Nice car, but I don't get people who worry about not driving a car for fear of speculating 10 years from now . Sounds ridiculous. It's a car, drive it and enjoy it. Tomorrow isn't promised.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:02 AM
DaveMo will become famous soon enoughDaveMo will become famous soon enough
Drive it and enjoy it. I’ve got 74K miles on mine and have taken it on numerous trips. Been to Mt. Rushmore and British Columbia. This year we are off to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival. There’s nothing like a nice long top down road trip.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
Coupla thoughts...

Life is short, drive your car! I have only managed 10K miles in 3 years, but I have gotten out and really enjoyed my car as often as my hectic schedule allows.

With regard to mods, you don't need to spend $10K IMO. Exhaust, 1 bar tune, shifter, sway-bars, maybe fresh sticky tires, and clean up all the maintenance. A tuned car needs fresh plugs...

Congrats and good luck.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:12 PM
rickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud of
Drive It... Drive It... Drive it !
Drive it, but take good care of it.
I also have a problem with driving my vehicles. It's more of an OCD problem than a " what will it be worth " problem.
I bought my TT new in '03 and today 15 years later it only has 20k on the odometer. That's not enjoying it. I have had more than a dozen cars at one time and it's impossible to enjoy driving them all. My son looks in the garage shakes his head and says " what a shame ". I do maintaince annually wether they move an inch or not. The worse thing you can do is to just let it sit. Recently sold my '08 SL 55 ( bought new ). 10 years and only 5k.. now that's a shame. Such a magnificent car and I never enjoyed it. The list goes on.
I hinted around to my wife about a new TT, she said "what are you crazy, you don't drive what you have" my answer; "Just think of how much more they will be worth when you sell them". Her answer; " first off, I will never sell them (sure I believe that) and second, they will remind me of what you loved but never enjoyed"
Lol.. she is right. I do love my cars but I love driving them more. These cars are not paintings you just look at. They are meant to be driven.
I have changed my ways. Who cares if the car gets dirty. I can wash it.
If you are young enough you will have the opportunity to buy another. If you getting older you will regret not enjoying the drive.
Either way, Drive it.. take good care of it... and enjoy it.
You only live once and you can't take it with you !

Old 05-20-2018, 05:25 PM
I appreciate the comments, thanks guys. And drive it I will! It’s just so damn nice, I know it’s not a $134,000.00 car anymore, but it once was. And it’s in such great condition I think of it as a 134k vehicle, by far the nicest car I’ve ever owned, even if it is 14 years old. I particularly liked the last comment. If young enough buy another, of old enough, regret for not driving more. Not sure which will be my lot, but I’m going to drive it as often as I can!

Old 05-20-2018, 05:40 PM
rickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud of
Nothing wrong with the way your thinking. It a good thing. Nothing I hate more than a person that owns and does not appreciate a fine vehicle.
Drive safe and enjoy my friend.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Former Vendor
SRM Engineering is infamous around these partsSRM Engineering is infamous around these partsSRM Engineering is infamous around these partsSRM Engineering is infamous around these parts
Great car, and color combo!

Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 PM
MBB
MBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Gorgeous car! She looks to be in great condition!

Old 05-23-2018, 10:39 PM
Rodstertts is on a distinguished road
Very nice looking black 996TT. Hard to fine one as clean as that.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:45 PM

Nice day for a wash and some photos. Thinking stage 2 Cobb tune, and a Kline exhaust next/soon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picking up 996TT Cab this weekend.