996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to find coolant leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:43 PM
TexasNewfie has a spectacular aura aboutTexasNewfie has a spectacular aura aboutTexasNewfie has a spectacular aura about
How to find coolant leak

Hi guys, I've had the water pump go and replaced that, and one of the coolant lines blow and replaced 2 of them, and the coolant reservoir crack and replaced that. However, ever since I put it back together I've got a smell of coolant when I drive for a short while but no drips of coolant. Thus, I'm thinking I have a very minor leak. It there an additive that I can use to help me find this? Thanks

It's getting irritating to have so many coolant issues and honestly have made me not enjoy this car very much.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:10 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
I’ve had the same issue with my 996TT. I get a whiff of sweet coolant every once in a while. No drops & have replaced most items including the 3 radiators. Arghhh frustrating.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:03 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Get a snake light and do some searching. These cars really should all have the coolant lines done. If it isn't the radiator it is probably another fitting loose.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 AM
TexasNewfie has a spectacular aura aboutTexasNewfie has a spectacular aura aboutTexasNewfie has a spectacular aura about
A couple of questions:
1. Is there an additive that will help find the leak?
2. Another post suggested that of the coolant lines that are typically pinned (8 of them in total I believe), 3 of these are the most problematic and these can be done with the engine in the car. I would like to try to do these myself but don'e know where to get started. I really don't want to pay 2 to 3K to take the engine out

Last edited by TexasNewfie; 06-22-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:51 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
There is no such potion that will find the leak, just a flash light, maybe a camera could help. You start by removing the air box actually. The coolant line thing really sucks. Porsche dropped the ball on this one.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:16 AM
theprf is a name known to alltheprf is a name known to alltheprf is a name known to alltheprf is a name known to alltheprf is a name known to alltheprf is a name known to all
Try using a "black light" UV flashlight. The coolant will glow just a bit.
You would need to do this with a clean engine and in a dark area.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:17 AM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
I am in the middle of this myself. I just replaced the water pump only to discover that one of the overly engineered hoses (metal glued to ends with O rings) is leaking, it won't seat any longer. The replacement arrived yesterday and I'll tackle it this weekend.

I too have smelled coolant, but assumed that I found all the leaks. I'll know soon enough.

I will say that any leak for the past year or so has been very minor with very little coolant lost in the system.

It doesn't help that it is 150 degrees here in Houston already.

Chris

Old 06-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try taking out the airbox this weekend, cleaning whatever I can, and trying the blacklight.trick after running it for a bit.

I don't know where to start with the pinning but I'd like to do whatever I can myself as I try to do my own work.

Gadangit, I'm in Houston too. Where are you located and do you go to the GTG?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:52 AM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
I am down in San Leon. Not many TTs down this way.
I'm not sure what GTG is/was?

Old 06-22-2018, 11:02 AM
I'm in Spring. I was interested in taking a look at these glued in coolant pipes and what it takes to replace or pin it. I've heard lots of talk about them but having a tough time figuring out where to get started. I've done some work on mine so far but haven't seen where these pipe connections are.

The Lone Star Porsche Club GTG (Get Togethers) happen on Saturday mornings.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:56 AM
There is a great rennlist thread that details the pinning. Lots of great pictures that make sense once you get the airbox off and start poking around.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...he-car-10.html

I'll be working on the car on Sunday, PM me if you'd like to make a road trip to Sunny San Leon. I'm also putting in the new DVs that should be arriving on Saturday.

Chris

Old 06-23-2018, 08:40 PM
onenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to behold
I noticed the same thing that led me to remove my front bumper and find that my radiators were about to go with some seepage coming out of the radiators but not a leak. I replaced them all but smelled a slight smell of coolant. Doing some research, it seems that the clips and o rings to the hoses can be slightly different. I haven't adjusted mine yet since I am going through a build on my engine but here is the link to that thread
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-radiator.html

Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Thanks to all for the help. I was able to track it down to a leaky reservoir cap, thankfully. I had used the original reservoir cap when I put in the new OEM reservoir. The overflow tube was bunched up and dripping directly onto the exhaust. New OEM cap on order. $40 from Pelican Parts.

Last edited by TexasNewfie; 06-26-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:03 PM
Glad you figured it out and it was a relatively simple fix. Mine was simple too, but frustrating as well.

The retainer spring was the wrong size and the hose just pulled right out. Some genius decided that silicone was the solution instead of figuring out why the hose pulled out. Took me 2 minutes to see the problem.

I don't believe this was leaking much, if any, prior to the new water pump. New hose installed, waiting for the $4 spring with $9.50 shipping.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180626_085851.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	527971  
Old 06-26-2018, 02:06 PM
That's great, gadangit, still not fun wrangling those short pipes out and getting them back in but glad it was an easy find. It kills me that those clips are different sizes on each end of the pipe. Thankfully one of the guys on here let me know before I made an error putting it back together. Good luck with the fix.