Anyone used EZ oil drain valve? - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Notices
996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
Sponsored by:

Anyone used EZ oil drain valve?

Old 07-10-2018, 04:47 PM
Twinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to behold
Anyone used EZ oil drain valve?

Has anyone used one of these to control the explosive discharge when draining your oil tank? Is the tank plug the same size/threads as the crankcase?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0466.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	528589  
Old 07-10-2018, 05:21 PM
s65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to all
Not a good idea as it will hang low on the tank.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:27 PM
r6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to all
Puting a Fumoto on the Yukon tomorrow. Likely would hang too low on the turbo.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:56 PM
B8_RDC has much to be proud ofB8_RDC has much to be proud ofB8_RDC has much to be proud ofB8_RDC has much to be proud ofB8_RDC has much to be proud ofB8_RDC has much to be proud ofB8_RDC has much to be proud ofB8_RDC has much to be proud ofB8_RDC has much to be proud of
Do you drain the oil daily? What is the allure?

Old 07-11-2018, 07:11 AM
HotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond repute
i run one on my truck, happy with it

Old 07-11-2018, 08:07 AM
Slider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond repute
The tank plug is much bigger.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:29 AM
brnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond repute
Too much risk of it breaking off.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Twinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to beholdTwinturbofan is a splendid one to behold
The allure

The allure was to control the explosive release of oil all over my garage floor when I drain the oil tank. I do not have a lift and have not found away to drain it without it splashing every where. It comes out of the tank as if out of a fire hose. I thought attaching a hose to this fitting with the other end inserted in my oil drain container might be a solution. All that said I don't think I'll try it based on the above concerns.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Slider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond repute
I have a funnel that will hold 12 liters. When it is in position in the container that will catch the oil, it is within 1/2 an inch from the drain. I don't spill a drop. Not so tough - the trick is to have a funnel that can hold the entire contents of the tank.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Third-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant future
The trick to it not splashing is to do it cold. No need for a hot engine when changing the oil in a dry sump motor. Let the flame wars begin.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Warmer oil just means it will drain faster and more completely. The difference between draining a warm engine and cold is probably less than an once. I don't know if cold oil splashes less than warm oil though...

Old 07-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Third-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant futureThird-Reef has a brilliant future
A car that has sat overnight has drained more completely into the crankcase that a warm motor that was just shut off. Cold oil comes out "much" slower from the tank drain. So much that i can get the plug loose and remove it without getting oil on my fingers. i would recommend letting it sit for min 10 min with the plug out of the crankcase just to be sure with a cold motor and also change out your filter before draining the crankcase because some oil drains back down in when you remove the oil filter housing.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:37 AM
Quadcammer is on a distinguished road
drain into a 5 gallon paint bucket from home depot. splashing risk is very minimal

Old 07-13-2018, 12:10 PM
r6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to all
Okay after changing oil in the turbo and wife's Yukon in the same day here is my $.02. the Yukon comes out 90 degrees at a huge arc at first and then tapers off to straight down. So it is not so much the splashing but more having to move my large drain pan while it drains. I put a Fumoto sx valve on it and it faces now strait down. It is going to be sweet to use in 5000mi without spilling a drop. The turbo - I change the oil with it setting on the ground. The oil has less chance to splash since it is close to the pan. I don't think it really needs a valve just an appropriate drain pan as mentioned. I believe you could run a SX series Fumoto on the tank if you wanted because the chassis is lower than the valve if you face the valve parallel to the ground. A non SX series would hang too low for my tastes. The oil out of the crank case comes out pretty slow so it doesn't really need anything. Just my $0.02

Old Yesterday, 12:47 AM
01Turbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice to have on your commuter car. if you don't change the oil much , its not needed. I opted for a magnetic drain bolt instead.