996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BBi built monster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:47 PM
06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future
BBi built monster

Here is a great video of a BBi built GT2. I've seen this car in person before I knew what it was all about, and was mesmerized by that rear suspension.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:43 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Very cool car. I saw this at Mecum Dallas. It was a no sale.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:15 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
I don't get it. Cool for sure, but why? Noisy as hell too inside while driving, no thanks.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:09 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by s65e90
I don't get it. Cool for sure, but why? Noisy as hell too inside while driving, no thanks.
Same. And why on a rare car? It's one thing to take a salvage title car or a turbo and do this. But seems like an exercise in excess for the sake of flash and excess. But I will say that BBi typically does everything right and builds monsters, so regardless of how silky this seems to me, they have a gauge on these things.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:44 PM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
Same. And why on a rare car? It's one thing to take a salvage title car or a turbo and do this. But seems like an exercise in excess for the sake of flash and excess. But I will say that BBi typically does everything right and builds monsters, so regardless of how silky this seems to me, they have a gauge on these things.

Definitely a big money build for a 'watch guy' based on what he said in the video.

It hit the Mecum Auction in Sept 2017 and did not sell @ $125K high bid. Looks like it's had some upgrades since then too...wheels at a minimum.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA0917-29...rsche-911-gt2/

Old 07-16-2018, 10:16 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
curious what moving all the suspension weight that high up has done to the balance of the car

Old 07-18-2018, 06:14 AM
Sparrow is on a distinguished road
sorry OP, but I feel this is a terrible video... have to watch on a small screen otherwise too shaky and production quality is just as bad...

but to BBi and the actual car, I'm sure it's great, and for the owner's taste, but the video and representation from hoonigan makes it so cheesy and sleazy in my opinion.
Saying that makes me feel old.. I was born in the 80's so am I an outlier?

Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM
nbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sparrow
sorry OP, but I feel this is a terrible video... have to watch on a small screen otherwise too shaky and production quality is just as bad...

but to BBi and the actual car, I'm sure it's great, and for the owner's taste, but the video and representation from hoonigan makes it so cheesy and sleazy in my opinion.
Saying that makes me feel old.. I was born in the 80's so am I an outlier?
I mean everyone has their own personal taste but I tend to think Hoonigan's videos are some of the best produced automotive content on youtube. Certainly not for everyone but as someone who enjoys the Build Biology series I thought this video was awesome.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:49 PM
Quadcammer is on a distinguished road
host seemed clueless, car seems like flash for the C&C crowd, and it ultimately seems useless.

oh well, every has their opinions.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:51 AM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
Wow, some haters in here, lol. They explain in the video the benefit of the progressive spring rates that you get from this suspension style. I for one think it is a pretty cool car and Hoonigans makes some great content. They put out videos of interesting builds nearly everyday, so you can't expect perfection with the high frequency. And they cover all types of cars under the sun and don't claim to be Porsche experts.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:22 AM
Sparrow is on a distinguished road
My point is with the amount of content and subscribers they have (hoonigan) they should be putting in better quality than quantity... Just to exacerbate my point, the gopro filming is is dire need of image stabilization! Try watching in full screen (on a computer) without getting motion sickness... maybe it's different watching on a phone, but I find it odd they have a nice camera and light setup, then 90% of the video is used with gopro footage... poor filmography in my opinion...

A great example of prime editing and filmography is 'Chris Harris on Cars' ... pure enjoyment and an absolute pleasure to watch!

I have no qualms with BBi, nor the build! Very interesting and bespoke setup, but it's the quality / production that's severely lacking.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:41 PM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
I'm guessing they don't use a gimbal for these kind of videos because then you couldn't look down under the hood or up in the wheel wells for a close look at the modifications. And a gopro fits well in those tight spaces.

Chris Harris on Cars is great, but he has BBC production money

Old 09-21-2018, 01:40 PM
xWraith is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Road King
Definitely a big money build for a 'watch guy' based on what he said in the video.

It hit the Mecum Auction in Sept 2017 and did not sell @ $125K high bid. Looks like it's had some upgrades since then too...wheels at a minimum.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA0917-29...rsche-911-gt2/
Just to clarify, that isnt the same car. Interior completely different.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xWraith
Just to clarify, that isnt the same car. Interior completely different.
Upon further examination there are appear to be several things different between the Mecum and BBi cars.

But at first glance, how many seal gray GT2s with a back seat suspension are out there? I assumed it was the same car with different wheels. The suspensions are very similar but do not appear to be identical.

So what we have here are apparently 2 similar but different 800hp GT2s with a ton of bling bolted on. I'm not a purist, but as others have said, why use a GT2 as base for this, it only hurts the value. It's not like it's hard to do this to a base Turbo and convert to RWD. Budget didn't seem to be an issue with either build.

Good eye xWraith!

Old 10-03-2018, 09:30 AM
01Turbo is a name known to all01Turbo is a name known to all01Turbo is a name known to all01Turbo is a name known to all01Turbo is a name known to all01Turbo is a name known to all
It was awesome to see this car at Porsche Rennsport 6 at laguna seca last weekend.