996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear Wing Mechanism question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:33 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
You can't change the deployment speed - that is a CPU issue as is the deployment at speed function. You can put it up or down and disable it completely though - just disconnect power to the motor and tape the micro-switches.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:44 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks, figured that, oh well

Old 01-23-2019, 04:14 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DERBOOST
question, can the "speed" control be totally disabled so the wing will go up or down on the switch action only? Or is it possible to add a resistor to keep the thing down till like 100mph ? Drives me nuts having it go up and down all the time.
up and down all the time? Goes up at 75 and down at 37 mph. Are you racing between stop lights? ;o)

Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4S

up and down all the time? Goes up at 75 and down at 37 mph. Are you racing between stop lights? ;o)
Yeah we drive fast in Montana...lmao be nice if it went up at 100, down at 50 And with most of our speed limits 75 and no points for up to 10 over (20 buck fine) the thing gets a workout for sure, may just put my fixed wing back on or hard wire it to the switch.

Watched your videos, thats a really nice kit you do there for sure !!

Last edited by DERBOOST; 01-23-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:45 AM
eds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of light
Just to update folks on this wing issue. I considered all the options... fixed wing... GT2 options-stuff and decided that I purchased this car for what it was 10 years ago. Hence decided to remove the entire wing hydraulic/electric harness assembly. While the car has 32 k on it and rather than do a component inspection of each functioning part. Understanding Many potential breaking points & things that can go wrong.
Then considered age of this car and enjoyment over the years. I ordered the entire rear spoiler assembly and will install when it arrives along with new relay.
At least it will last for another 10 years... I hope…..

Old 02-02-2019, 09:34 AM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
I've been pondering this myself and see Suncoast has it listed for sale around $2k. Have you talked with anyone on whether the new units are better than what came on the car?

Old 02-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
Kevin at UMW will rebuild them. It's worth a phone call. He did mine and they are fine now. Much cheaper than an all new set for sure.

Prior to that, I sent them to the ebay guys in South Florida, but the fix only lasted about a year. Was about to scrap the whole setup and go with the EBwerks system until, while talking to Kevin about a possible tune, he mentioned that he can fix them and that his method makes them "rebuildable" in the future. I'm not clear on his exact process but I am having no problems since he addressed mine. After that I felt confident enough to continue doing business with him and later purched a tune. I 100% would do it all again the same way.

I remember him saying that if the hardware has too much wear, there's nothing that can be done. He'll give you the rundown if you call him.

I have not seen any info indicating that the new OEM units have been updated in any way. Please share if anyone finds out that they have been.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:56 AM
eds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of light
gadangit... i called and talked with a number of people. The rebuilf option is good however it does not cover electric motor or lines. If lines need to be replaced price will go up. So a moving target. While the rebuild option improves components when it is apart there may be a issue with "gear drive" component of the pump. Then the motor may work or may stop after a period of time on the car. Then start all over again??? Buy new + money spent on rebuild... Not for me..So I will use the old parts for a Light in my shop... The light will go up and down...
Hence the list of issues goes on and on. Then if you send it out it may be determined that it cant be fixed. Hence all the possible issues of rebuilding a complete system may be fustrating. When you look at the component cost, each part is expensive. Hence why nickle and dime this 18 year old original assembly. with 32 k on it.. If the individual parts were very inexpensive i would have possibly gone down this path.

With regard to "Is new any better" The new may or may not be any better. I didnt even ask this question. Being all the parts, Rams, hyd hoses, pump, micro switches & harness will be New I decided to replace it all one time.. Call Sonnen Porsche ask for Daryl in parts...Mention my namne Ed .This guy went out of his way to answer all my questions and confirmed with Porsche teck....
My experience Suncoast in Florida... Stay away from that dealer the parts guys would not help and poor customer service

Old 02-02-2019, 10:13 AM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
Good info Stebo and Ed. I was hoping Porsche updated the wing unit like so many other parts over the years.
I lean towards OEM parts when I can, so interested in your install write up! (no pressure. )

Chris

Old 03-01-2019, 07:00 PM
Folks Just a update. I did the install last week. It took 2 hours. I did not take any pictures it was to cold. I did the install with the lid in place. No issue just keep in mind
its upside down install.
Some of the house cleaning details:.
Cover the engine bay with a large blankek. In case you drop a bolt. Then find a plank of wood. 1 foot wide by the length of the engine bay.. Lay that over the blanket.
The box that the parts came in will be move into place.
The complete assembly comes plug and play. When i removed everything weeks ago i cleaned up all the parts. Waxed the inside of deck lid and just cleaned up all parts.
Heck it sits in the garage so it never gets dirty.. waste of car right... Then bolt everthing up loose. One RAM AT A TIME. Then the hyduralic cylinder is next. Plug in all the connections. Tail light and the main harness.

At this point all bolts are in place but loose. Move the hydraulic lines in place. So the hoses are not stressed. Fit and adjustment takes a little time but no worries.
Then Drop the lifd and install the wing. Then open the lid tighten everything up. I did this by myself no help.

I moved the wing up and down with no issues and then took it out for a ride to confirm the wing comes up at speed. No issues. Anyone can do this if you can change your oil. Sometimes just takes a push from the crowd here to motivate us.. Total cost 2 k.. I'm planning the next project...later...

Old 03-02-2019, 09:15 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Good work!

It literally takes one minute to remove the deck lid. It is well worth the effort to just take it off and do all of this work inside on a nice comfortable bench.

(Pop the lid, disconnect the wiring harness. With one hand, hold the lid up, with the other remove the screws with a cordless ratchet. Lift & remove)

Last edited by Slider; 03-02-2019 at 09:17 AM.