996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Numeric shifter installed. Now shifting is less smooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I think people are under the impression that adjusting the cables can affect the smoothness of shifts - it can't. That is handled by the transmission. The only thing adjusting the cables will do is affect where the shifter sits in relation to the hole through which it protrudes (yes, I said that). So the only down side to an improper alignment of the cables is that you will bang the shifter against the side before going far enough to get into first (left) or 5/6 (right). That makes the fix pretty easy because there is considerable leeway.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:48 PM
rickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud of
How's she shifting ?
Any progress ?

Old 01-30-2019, 05:29 PM
rickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud of
How's she shifting ?
Any progress ?

Old 01-30-2019, 05:31 PM
TexasNewfie has a spectacular aura aboutTexasNewfie has a spectacular aura aboutTexasNewfie has a spectacular aura about
Unfortunately I havent had a chance to work on it. Paid work keeps getting in the way. Hope to have a chance to look at it by Friday.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:37 PM
Gotta make the $$$ to play with your toys !

Old 01-31-2019, 07:50 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
No cable trans shifts great.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:49 AM
TexasNewfie has a spectacular aura aboutTexasNewfie has a spectacular aura aboutTexasNewfie has a spectacular aura about
I had a chance to look at it last night. Adjusted the cables by setting the shifter position fore/aft and port/starboard positions with a level. Adjustment was very easy once I saw how the cables fit into, so easy in fact that my 12 year old daughter did it. Took a drive and it seems to be feeling better, however, with the console apart, I noticed a lot of metal on metal chatter when shifting and then realized that the upper and lower frames of the Numeric were barely held together and during shifting the top frame would move around significantly. How the f**k did that happen? Today, I'm taking the Numeric off to see if there are screws to tighten the frame.

As a note, the Numeric Tech Support guy suggested changing out my trans oil as the newer oils are much better and should greatly help in smooth shifting. I've had the car since late 2017 so haven't done this yet. Next job on the list is fluids. Then solid aluminum lifters for the tail. Enough of that leaky hydraulic crap and its stupid warning light.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Sounds like your getting somewhere ! I had the same problem when I first installed my Numeric. My instinct when I got mine was to remove the assembly screw's and apply Lock Tite.
You are correct, it becomes so simple after doing it a couple of times. I was actually changing and adjusting shifters while out on a test drive. It's that simple ! Do yourself a favor while the console is out. Inspect all associated moving parts and cable connections. Things like play in the cable bushings, grease and cable clips. Those rear cable clips that attach to the rear of the shifter frame are a S.O.B. Make sure those are fully connected as I had one of those pop off. If I remember correctly I could not use the brass tension clip that was on my stocker. I also noticed that when I had the Numeric set to it's shortest throw (lowest position) it was interfering with the carpet. Some cut the carpet away in this area. I used the middle position. No problems there.
Depending on your mileage and age of your fluid it's always a good idea to change it. Some have reported it was a big help.
One last note... If you are expecting any shifter change to feel and react like the stock 996 ... "It isn't going to happen". Shifter feel is a matter of taste. Some guys have made the change and switched back to the 996 stocker. I myself at first missed that smooth feeling but hated the long throw and loose shifter when engaged. I will never go back to the stock 996.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Just heard from Numeric tech support that the loose screws may be an issue on some units that were bought around the same time mine was (6 months ago, I know, I'm a slacker) due to ex-employee that was skipping the step of properly tightening them. Thus, I suggest anyone who bought one around this time may want to check for play and tighten them so as not to end up with a nasty breakdown far from home.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:12 PM
fiickroll is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Slider
I think people are under the impression that adjusting the cables can affect the smoothness of shifts - it can't. That is handled by the transmission. The only thing adjusting the cables will do is affect where the shifter sits in relation to the hole through which it protrudes (yes, I said that). So the only down side to an improper alignment of the cables is that you will bang the shifter against the side before going far enough to get into first (left) or 5/6 (right). That makes the fix pretty easy because there is considerable leeway.
I am a little late to this rodeo but Slider is absolutely correct. I installed a Numeric Shifter and Numeric Racing shifter cables, and the ONLY thing that adjusting the cables in the cabin accomplishes is the position of the shift lever in the neutral position. The left cable adjusts the left/right position of the shift lever, and the right cable adjusts the fore/aft position of the shift lever. If shifting does not feel right then make sure the transmission end of the cables are adjusted properly as discussed in the Numeric installation video, part 1.

The feel of the transmission is very different with the Numeric equipment vs OEM. It is very precise and you get a lot of transmission ‘feel’ while shifting. Some folks may not like this, but I like it. A lot.