996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 turbo passenger turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 06:30 AM
TTbob is an unknown quantity at this point
996 turbo passenger turn signal issue

Hi all,

I have a 2003 996 turbo. 2 weeks ago, the passenger front turn signal light went out. I've researched 6speed, rennlist etc, and have tried all the fixes I've seen.

I put a new bulb in, that didnt fix it. I then bent the tabs a little bit on the inside of the housing assembly - this did not fix i right away, I also cleaned the socket. After removing the headlight and putting it back in probably 10 times (while looking for issues), it started working.

Fast forward, I took my car to a car wash and after I got home...the same passenger front turn signal stopped working. I took the passenger bulb+socket and put it in the driver side, it worked fine.

Long story short:
1) I know for a fact my bulb+sockets are good to go.
2) All other electronics/windows/headlamps/tailights etc, they all work.
3) I checked fuses they look fine
4) The male pins on the headlamp assembly of the passenger side headlamp are present and straight.
5) I've tried pushing forward the wires that go in the headlamp female socket (the one that is fixed to the car itself) and they all seem good to go.
6) I've heard the "ground" near the headlamp access hole can cause get corroded etc which can cause headlamp issues. Mine looks clean, but today I plan on Cleaning it out.
7) Does anyone know which of the pins on the headlamp female socket (the one that is fixed to the car itself) correspond to the turn signal? I can check those with a multi meter for voltage?

Any suggestions guys? I assume the car wash caused something to short?

At this point I ordered a new bulb socket (I realize that likely wont fix it but at this point nothing is making sense).

thanks for the help fellas, theres finally good weather here in NY and not being able to drive it is killing me.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:54 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
It sounds like pressurized water is aggravating the electrical for the turn signal on the passenger side. There may be an issue with the harness going into the main plug that the headlight fits into. (wire insulation, loose pin, rubbed through wire, etc.)

The turn signal inop won't stop it from running. Hey, nobody uses their turn signals in NY anyhow, right!?

Old 04-29-2019, 07:20 PM
TTbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
It sounds like pressurized water is aggravating the electrical for the turn signal on the passenger side. There may be an issue with the harness going into the main plug that the headlight fits into. (wire insulation, loose pin, rubbed through wire, etc.)

The turn signal inop won't stop it from running. Hey, nobody uses their turn signals in NY anyhow, right!?
haha true, but unfortunately I need it to pass inspection.

I doused everything in electronics cleaner, bent the socket tabs a little further, scraped the contacts more with sandpaper and the signal works again. Good call on the main plug

Last edited by TTbob; 04-29-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Great, glad to hear its working again.