996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Broken transmission. cost estimate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 02:50 AM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
Broken transmission. cost estimate?

So my 1st gear went and im in the process of removing the gearbox, but time ran out so box is still in the car.
I won't be able to work on the car again before next weekend so i will get to open the gearbox then.
But im curious at what to expect.

Symptoms:
Car started feeling weird when in reverse, it was like the handbrake was slightly on
When disengaging the clutch in neutral car would move forward
Unable to engage first gear, lots of crunch noises when clutch was released and it popped out. (2nd gear worked fine)

Put the car in the air and wheels was moving even though not in gear, some force had to be put on the brakes to stop them.
releasing the brakes caused them to slowly start moving again.
1st gear was crunchy, 2nd and third was fine, foruth and fifth had a bad noise.

Removed oil and found pieces of syncro rings, lots of shavings on the magnet sump plug.

So 1st gear syncro is definitivly broken, but do i also have faulty bearing(s)?
Any other issues i should expect seeing when opening up the box?

Also what are we talking about costwise?

Old 07-21-2019, 08:06 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I had an Indy remove my trans and do an overhaul. I had to replace a few synchros but nothing major was broken. The cost was about $6K CDN in the end.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:40 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Back in 2010 time frame my 2003 Turbo's 6-speed manifested a selector shaft leak. Car under CPO warranty. What to do came down to Porsche making up its mind.

Apparently without realizing the car was covered by a CPO warranty the two senior techs told me they could repair the transmission, replace the seal and take care of any other issues present. (I suspect a number of other issues would have been found. More on this below.) They said the Turbo 6-speed was not too much different from the other 6-speed manual. They estimated the cost to be in the $6K region. But the car/transmission was covered by the CPO warranty.

But as it turns out Porsche said "no" to a rebuild and instead a "yes" to a replacement. After nearly a week a new transmission arrived from Germany and that was that. To bring closure the new transmission felt lots better, shifted lots better than the old transmission. The car had less than 10K miles on it when I bought the car and the previous owner babied the car so it wasn't abuse or misuse. I think the original transmission was just bad and thankfully the premature selector shaft seal leak ended up getting it replaced.

Oh, I almost forgot. While the techs were still operating on the assumption I would have to pay for the transmission, if a new transmission was needed for a new transmission the cost was quoted to me -- informally -- at around $10,000 for the transmission and $1000 for the installation.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:52 AM
nbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud of
Let me know if you need a new mainshaft.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1152940

I also have some misc internal bits that are still good from my rebuild.

Price for a rebuild is going to vary widely depeding on what is broken on the inside and if you are just going to rebuild stock or upgrade. ballpark for stock or minor upgrades is 5-7k.