996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Living a couple of miles from Evolution Motorsports is TORTURE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Joe West is on a distinguished road
Welcome back dude...

I'll be sure to check in on your baby every so often... my office is about 10 minutes away from Evo... Hell... I'll go in and take digital pictures and post them so you don't miss her too much.

<grin>

Joe

Originally posted by buddyg
Todd rocks! Joe look for the RED BEAST to be at Todd's shop in January 2004. Should be there for a while!

Congrats on your upgrade! You will love it!

Old 12-10-2003, 06:14 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Awesome Joe!

I am sure Todd will give you a ride when it is all done!

Old 12-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Joe West is on a distinguished road
Can you see my grin from here?

Okay... so... now I know what you guys were talking about and why many folks on this group have upgraded their ECUs.

HOLY CRAP!

Before the upgrade... I'd hit .7 bar and you could tell that things were running out of steam... time to upshift and hit it again...

Now... I hit .7 bar and I swear it feels like a step-function in acceleration, almost like the feeling you get just taking off from a dead stop. Unless you have the stage 4 modification or something similar, you would not believe the punch left in the motor that is untapped by the factory.

I only had one chance today to really get on it... on the freeway going back to work in an open stretch, and I managed to hit 1.3 bar and hold until I had to back off because of traffic.

I would not have believed that there could be such a change in how a vehicle feels to drive... I swear; it feels different to drive even at normal speeds... but I'll need a bit more time to figure out exactly what (assuming it is not my imagination) has exactly changed WRT "normal" (read; non-spirited) driving... but I like it.

The easiest thing to put my finger on is the amazing amount of power which seems to be available above .7bar of boost... it doesn't seem to be a linear change, but rather, as described before.. a step function. All of a sudden you get a surge of power where before the modification, all you got was steady power.

So far... the following modifications have been done:

Diverter valves (from Evo)
Fabspeed Loud (Used from a 6speed member)
K24 turbos (Used from a 6speed member)
ECU Modifications, chipswitch with stock, stage 4, and stage 4 race programs.

All in all... pretty simple modifications... but what a difference!

When I came to pick up the Porsche this afternoon from Evo... Todd was out front cleaning it (sheesh... talk about taking care of the customer; the President of Evolution Motorsports was detailing my car). Todd showed me how to work the chipswitch controller and took the time to take apart a display ecu to show me what the modification looked like.

While I was walking around... I was drooling at the supercharger setups JUST WAITING to be installed... holy cow; they look incredible installed. I need to get Todd to give me a ride in his supercharged 996 to see how it feels compared to a stock turbo.

All in all... I had an incredible experience with Evolution Motorsports. Working with Todd and his team was a joy from start to finish. From taking the time to discuss the modifications in advance (months ago) to the smaller details of cleaning the car and straightening the exhaust tips... Todd did everything he could to take care of my car better than I do.

I suppose there are reasons people like Buddy and folks from outside the US are willing to ship their cars to Evolution Motorsports for modifications... they know that they will be taken care of and the end product will be worth every cent spent.

If it sounds like I'm glowing with praise... it is because as a gearhead; I've had plenty of bad experiences with suppliers... I'm the type to complain about bad service to help prevent others from experiencing it... but I also believe that you should let others know when you've had a good experience.

I'd highly recommend the stage 4 ECU modification as well as ANY products and services from Evolution Motorsports... these guys are passionate about perfection... and it shows.

In a few weeks, when Todd gets his Dyno up and running after the move... I'll report the numbers to the group so you don't have to rely on an emotional "seat of the pants" analysis of the improvements... we'll have some numbers and I'll post them.

Joe West

Old 12-10-2003, 07:19 PM
jro
jro is on a distinguished road
Great story!! I agree with your assessment of a step function. what a wonderful feeling!

Old 12-10-2003, 07:35 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Congrats Joe! Todd and EVO are awesome!

Old 12-11-2003, 06:57 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Nice JOe...I guess I know first hand what you are talking about
That "step function" description is AWESOME!!
I wonder what 4GT is like now...