996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rev Limiter worries

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Banned
Divi996tt is on a distinguished road
Rev Limiter worries

Is hitting the Rev Limiter every now and then, detrimental to the life span of the engine? I'm asking because, in trying to get good times for Gtech runs, I had hit the Rev limiter a couple of times.

Divi

Old 03-21-2006, 10:33 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Going up is not a big deal...that's why there is a limiter. The bad one is going down...like 5th to 2nd...the limiter can't help here.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Banned
Good to know, Thank you. I was really worried about it !!!!

Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 AM
K24madness is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Divi996tt
Is hitting the Rev Limiter every now and then, detrimental to the life span of the engine? I'm asking because, in trying to get good times for Gtech runs, I had hit the Rev limiter a couple of times.

Divi
Depending on how bad you overrev you are putting a lot of extra tensal load on the rod bolts. Depending on what side of the "go-nogo" tolerance your rods fall on will determin how deadly it can be.

Yes it is a very bad thing!!!

Old 03-22-2006, 10:57 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
type one over revs are hitting the rev limiter and usually not a problem. Unless it is in first gear, here sometimes the rev limiter is behind your acceleration and that could cause valve damage!! Once out of first gear this is much less of a concern.
Type II or mechanical over revs are unable to be stopped by the limiter such as a 4 to 2 down shift. These are VERY bad and can ruin the engine. They also print out when the codes are checked and are a reason warranties are voided and people dont buy a particular car.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Banned
Well, they both happened shifting upgear from 3rd to 4th. I even felt the engine slowing down - I guess from Fuel injectors automatic cutoff??? Not
sure.

Divi

Old 03-23-2006, 10:56 AM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Hi Tom,
recently had my TT in the shop and was told I had an instance of type II over rev. The SA claimed it was a mechanical over rev caused by a missed shift.
I'm puzzled because I know I've hit the rev limiter on up shifts a couple of times, but have categorically never missed a down shift (eg 5th to 2nd). So I figure it's possible to generate a type II over rev by bouncing off the rev limiter in 1st or missing an up shift completely. Do you agree ?

Old 03-23-2006, 01:31 PM
lee lovell is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by timf
Hi Tom,
recently had my TT in the shop and was told I had an instance of type II over rev. The SA claimed it was a mechanical over rev caused by a missed shift.
I'm puzzled because I know I've hit the rev limiter on up shifts a couple of times, but have categorically never missed a down shift (eg 5th to 2nd). So I figure it's possible to generate a type II over rev by bouncing off the rev limiter in 1st or missing an up shift completely. Do you agree ?
Hope this isnt true as i hit the limiter almost every time i drive the car.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Tim I dont think so from what I have been told (believe me I have done all this to my own car at the track at one time or another) I dont think a mechanical overrev can happen on an upshift unless you rev so fast the limiter cant control it, ie first gear. In my car, I cant get out of my own way in first or second, (light weight flywheel and straight pipes).
When I posted about me accidentally going from three to two instead of fourth (mechanical over rev to about 7500) (also long story about being on highspeed right hand sweeper at 100mph and a GT3 up my a$$) I freaked out also. But apparantly no harm no fowl ie I lucked out no valve damage.
So with the type two and car seemingly ok just forget about it cant do anything anyway!!

Old 03-27-2006, 06:07 PM
doncar911 is on a distinguished road
Careful on manual shift from 1st to 2nd

If you shift at the rev limiter from 1st to 2nd you are very likekly to grind the gears even with the clutch all the way on the floor. I've ground my gears multiple times when shifting at the rev limiter and this will eventually cause the "popping out of 2nd gear" problem. The first time it happened I couldn't believe it because my foot was firmly all the way down on the floor. My clutch only had 10k miles on it and it still ground.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:56 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
have hit the rev limitor lots in my first a 76 turbo , i unhooked it in that car,never had a prob with it,had an 86 hit the limitor a few times but never a prob.tuffto hit the limitor in thhose older cars as they were 4speeds with very tall gears.have hit the limitor in my 01 maybe 6 times. and no probs yet.1st gear is over with you have to drive with your tac not your pants.... me thinks you be ok... they don't say p cars are bullet proof for nothing..

Old 03-27-2006, 07:58 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
i ment 1st gear is over with before you relize it so drive with your tac not your pants