996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire Pressure monitor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 11:30 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Tire Pressure monitor

I have been thinking about getting some tire pressure monitors for my Champions. More worried if I am losing pressure, and will not know since the tires have a such low profile. I checked Tireracks TPM's, but am not sure how big the display is? I want to take my Nav CD drive out and have a custom made carbon fiber panel made to accomodate some gauges, V1 remote display and possibly tire pressure monitor display.

Last question is if I get the the TPM display, will it also display pressure if I have another set of rims(track rims). Basically if I have the monitors in my 19's, could I get another set of monitors mounted in my 18" track wheels to display correctly in the dash pressure display? Thanks for any info.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:31 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
I use the SmarTires system. It works great. Given the critical importance of tire pressure, I am surprised that more people are not using such a system.

Craig

Old 03-26-2006, 04:48 PM
JayM is on a distinguished road
I also have the SmartTire system-the remote display is pretty small (about3"X2")-I have it mounted in the tray just above the shifter (bottom of the center cluster) and it fits fine (and still has space for a cell phone or pair of sunglasses.

You can certainly have an extra set of sensors mounted on your extra wheels and the in-car unit will work with both sets. When you put the second set on, you will have to configure the display so it knows which sensor is where, but it is no big deal.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:51 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JayM
You can certainly have an extra set of sensors mounted on your extra wheels and the in-car unit will work with both sets.
He's correct. As long as you are using Smart's band sensors in each set of wheels it will work great on both sets.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-26-2006, 09:24 PM
XX911XX is on a distinguished road
cost? DIY?

Old 03-26-2006, 11:31 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
tell us more! i need this, as mentioned above, due the low profile of the 19s. i hate the f***ers but i'm stuck w/ them for now.

- chuck

Old 03-27-2006, 08:30 AM
ritchieswimwear is an unknown quantity at this point
Is Smart Tire Wireless?

Is Smart Tire Wireless?

Old 03-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Ruf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura about
Is Smart Tire Wireless?

Requires nine feet of # 8 hollow copper wire.

R

Old 03-27-2006, 08:46 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Gen 2 are wireless. Ther are aso 2 types of displays you can get...standard and full feature LCD:

http://smartire.com/products/index.html

Old 03-27-2006, 08:47 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I am not really familiar with TPM's but Dep Dog has a pretty cool system in his 996. I think he did it himself.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
How accurate is the smart tire system. I mean anyone have it and check the pressure with a good guage and compare?? I would really like to get these if they are accurate to 1-2 psi for track events. Our tires at the track heat up from 36 to well over 50 psi and constantly having to check them!
TIA

Old 03-27-2006, 05:00 PM
JayM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by XX911XX
cost? DIY?
Mine was the better part of $300, which includes the remote display. I had it installed when the car was built, so I can't say for sure on the DIY angle, but I expect that the in-car installation has about the same degree of difficulty as hard-wiring a V1 and remote. The sensors go on the wheel, so unless you have the equipment to dismount and remount your tires, that part is not DIY but any competent wheel shop can do it.

I use both the SmartTire system and a "good" gauge (a Longacre digital) at the track, in part because the SmartTire only gives readings when the car is moving. I find it is within the same accuracy range as the guage.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:44 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
It's totally DIY and works great. The sensors/transmitters are banded around the inside of the wheel before the tires are out on, the the receiver either hard wires or you can run it off the lighter. The basic Generation 2 unit is $229 and comes with a 4 color LED display that lights up when a tire gets low. Each sensor has a color coded band that goes around the valve stem. Red LED = Red banded tire is low. Or, for a very highly recommended $49 you can buy an LED readout for the unit that constantly displays pressures and temps. for all four corners real-time. The sensors cost about $45 each to replace/add to another car. We sell systems for RV's/race rigs too. Read up at:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...artire_all.jsp

Give me a call if you have any other questions.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-27-2006, 07:47 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
I'm real suprised Porsche hasn't put tire moniters in their cars yet, hell the vettes have had them for years.

anyone know if these will be on the new 997TT's?

Old 03-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Yes, a few things I miss from the Corvette:

Tire pressure monitor
Heads up display
Adjustible suspension by just turning the switch
Alarm beep
A big DIC

Ummmm.....thats Driver Information Center (DIC)...thats what they really call it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure monitor