996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help Changing Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:20 PM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Help Changing Brake Pads MORE PROBLEMS

OK I finally got the OEM Pads out and I was told by three dealers that I didn't need to change the dameners and by erik@cargraphic so I decided to reuse the old ones. Anyways I got the old pads out fine with a paint scaper but now the Pagids are Stuck!!! I figured since Loren's DIY directions mentioned not greasing the backer plate that it would be a tight fit, especially since the Pagids are brand new. So I started to push them in and now they are stuck. Is there a way to reset the caliper or something? I am wondering if I was supposed to do something to get some extra space. I am calling it quits on this job I think, but I need to get the OEM pads back in so I can get the car to a dealer or something.

Sorry I realize I am an idiot, my father has made that very clear to me tonight, but please give me some good advice.

I was trying to switch my pads today from OEM to Pagid Orange and I ran into a few problems. Once I removed the brake wear sensor/wire and the spring I couldn't get the pads out. I think they are connected to a backing plate and I didn't know how hard to pry the two apart. I tried to use a razor blade but it kept bending everytime I tried to pound it between the brake pad and the backing plate. Is it ok to just try and pry the two apart with a chizzle, and then reuse the the backing plate? I imagin the problem is that the Pads have rusted to the backing plates and that's the problem I am having, could it be something else?

Also did you guys purchase the repair kits consisting of: 2 bolts, springs, and retaining pin? Car only has 6000 miles and I really don't feel like this stuff is necessary.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by ttgangsta; 05-24-2006 at 10:14 PM. Reason: More Problems
Old 05-24-2006, 12:33 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Bill,

I had the same sort of issue with my rear pads when I recently put all new Pagid Orange pads on my car. The problem is the dampeners that are stuck to the back of each pad. These dampeners can get stuck in each pot and I ended up having to pry them off, a couple actually broke off leaving the metal claws inside the pot itself. I removed the claw by screwing in a screw into the center and pulling them out. You will need to replace all the dampeners as you cannot reuse them, even thought I figured out a way of doing that with some 3M foam tape. I still had to order some new dampeners for the ones that broke off.

The dampeners on the rears are of two different sizes, the ones on the front are all the same size (claw wise that is)

Make sure you "Completely" (acetone or whatever) clean off the back of the pads before sticking them on. You will have to put each new dampener into each pot, peel off the paper and then line the pad up carefully and press the pad against the dampeners....take your time and get it right first time!!!!!!

You can reuse all your existing hardware, you do not need to replace anything other than the dampeners...of course that really depends on the condition of everything but I have about the same mileage as you so you should be fine. You will not be able to use the rear brake pad sensor wires as there is no hole for the sensor...you could drill one but the rears wear hardly at all compared to the fronts so I just tie wrapped mine back. The fronts can use the sensors as they have the horseshoe cut out.

Follow the Pagid break in to the letter and you will find these pads are fantastic. Tom Kerr is very knowledable about these pads too, I am sure he will chime in.

I hope everything I said makes sense....Good luck.

Ben

Old 05-24-2006, 12:38 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Bedding in info

http://www.braketechnology.com/brakepadbedding.html

Note: To the letter OK!!!!!! per all the instructions...in a safe place of course.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Note: I have the GT2/GT3 six pot calipers on the front so I can't remember what size the dampeners are for the stock calipers.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:49 AM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
Bill,

I had the same sort of issue with my rear pads when I recently put all new Pagid Orange pads on my car. The problem is the dampeners that are stuck to the back of each pad. These dampeners can get stuck in each pot and I ended up having to pry them off, a couple actually broke off leaving the metal claws inside the pot itself. I removed the claw by screwing in a screw into the center and pulling them out. You will need to replace all the dampeners as you cannot reuse them, even thought I figured out a way of doing that with some 3M foam tape. I still had to order some new dampeners for the ones that broke off.

The dampeners on the rears are of two different sizes, the ones on the front are all the same size (claw wise that is)

Make sure you "Completely" (acetone or whatever) clean off the back of the pads before sticking them on. You will have to put each new dampener into each pot, peel off the paper and then line the pad up carefully and press the pad against the dampeners....take your time and get it right first time!!!!!!

You can reuse all your existing hardware, you do not need to replace anything other than the dampeners...of course that really depends on the condition of everything but I have about the same mileage as you so you should be fine. You will not be able to use the rear brake pad sensor wires as there is no hole for the sensor...you could drill one but the rears wear hardly at all compared to the fronts so I just tie wrapped mine back. The fronts can use the sensors as they have the horseshoe cut out.

Follow the Pagid break in to the letter and you will find these pads are fantastic. Tom Kerr is very knowledable about these pads too, I am sure he will chime in.

I hope everything I said makes sense....Good luck.

Ben
Ben first off THANKS I really appreciate the post. I will get on ordering some new dampeners tomorro. Now let me make sure I understand this, the dampeners have adhesive which sticks to the back of the brake pads? Now when I am removing the pads I should pry the dampeners from the caliper removing both the dampener and the pad togetherk, while they are still stuck together? So essentially I want to pull the dampener out of the caliper?

Ben once again thanks for responding with such clairty it was a huge help.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:59 AM
Bill, that is correct, pad and dampeners should come out as one but that my not happen, a couple of mine were really stuck in the pots and the metal claw came off the plastic backing that was stuck to the pad.

Hang on a second here, a stupid question....Now you have removed the calipers off the rotors right?, if not you will never get the pads out for obvious reason as the dampeners are holding the pads in place.

So you should be able to carefully pry out the pad from the pots with the dampeners attached to them...make sense?

BBB

Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
Bill, that is correct, pad and dampeners should come out as one but that my not happen, a couple of mine were really stuck in the pots and the metal claw came off the plastic backing that was stuck to the pad.

Hang on a second here, a stupid question....Now you have removed the calipers off the rotors right?, if not you will never get the pads out for obvious reason as the dampeners are holding the pads in place.

So you should be able to carefully pry out the pad from the pots with the dampeners attached to them...make sense?

BBB
Ben I don't know if you are familiar with the Brake Pad DIY on Renntech, but that is the method I chose. I used a set of water pipe clamps to open the calipers which loosened up the pads. I think I ran into trouble because I did not realize that the pads were essentially glued to the dampeners. I was afraid to pry apart the pads and dampeners thinking I would destroy them. Since I live 2 hours from a Porsche dealer I just called it quits and put everything back together and made my post. Your replies have answered my questions i believe and tomorro i will get back on the job if I can get my dad to pickup some dampeners since he actually has a dentist appointment near a Porsche Dealership.

Thanks again,
Bill

Old 05-24-2006, 01:47 AM
Bill,

No worries mate, glad I could be of some assistance, I have not seen that particular DIY on Lorens site...his site is a mine of info though.

I am in the same boat as you, closest P dealer to me is 400KM away, thats why I do all my own wrenching....

Good luck...

Ben

Old 05-24-2006, 10:19 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Bill hope all goes well, Ben has it right on. I must admit I always have my pro buddy asst me as me screwing up the brake job before a track event is always a good possibility!!
Ben good posts as always!!

Old 05-24-2006, 11:29 AM
FineProperty is on a distinguished road
Tom, do you change pads between street and track between events?

Old 05-24-2006, 01:13 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Rich I stopped doing that because I was happy with the performance of the oranges on the street. I really dont have much if any squeal and they work fine even when cold. So......not worth the trouble IMO.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Thank you Tom

Old 05-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Back at ya BBB!

Old 05-24-2006, 10:15 PM
I can't get the Pagids in and now they are stuck...See first post!!

Old 05-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Bill, I think you may have the pistons partially stuck out and thats why you dont have enough "room" to get the new pads in. I pm'ed ya but anyway...put the old pads back in one at a time.....put a C clamp on both sides of the caliper (dont scratch the outside) and compress. this will push the pistions back in and unless you push on the brake pedal they should stay in and give you the room you need for the new pads.....hope that makes sense and helps! Good Luck!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Changing Brake Pads