996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD Conversion Complete...one word...AWESOME!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Banned
USCTrojanMan29 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mz3bo
Wow,

Thanks for sharing with us. Can you explain more in depth the part that is involving the "sub" or "stub" axel and what must be done ? By the way, when you guys mentionned about that axel, it's the axel that connects the two rear wheels to the tranny right ?

Thanks
I wish I took pictures, but I'll try to explain best as I can. Once the plastic cover plates that is underneath the car is removed you have access to drivetrain. The front drive shaft connects up to the tranny. The front drive shaft then goes out to the front differential (which looks like a long pickle. The front differential is connected to the front axels (mental rods that bolt onto the sides of the front diff). The other end of the axel have a joint (CV joint) which connects them to the stub axel (or tension bolt). The stub axels are connected to the wheel hub. In order to do the modification, they will need to separate the stub axels from the CV joint (which connects them to the front axels). It takes all of about 30 minutes or so to do that for both. The stub axels (tension bolts) are placed back into the wheel hub as they are used by the ABS sensors in the wheel hubs.

I have experienced very little loss of traction, a little bit when the boost hits hard in 2nd gear. The car definately feels quicker going thru all of the gears and the steering is a lot more responsive making the car feel more nimble.

If you want, I can take pictures of all the parts that were removed to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
If you want, I can take pictures of all the parts that were removed to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Tiago
I'll take pictures for you guys tonight...

Old 06-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Mz3bo is on a distinguished road
I wish I took pictures, but I'll try to explain best as I can. Once the plastic cover plates that is underneath the car is removed you have access to drivetrain. The front drive shaft connects up to the tranny. The front drive shaft then goes out to the front differential (which looks like a long pickle. The front differential is connected to the front axels (mental rods that bolt onto the sides of the front diff). The other end of the axel have a joint (CV joint) which connects them to the stub axel (or tension bolt). The stub axels are connected to the wheel hub. In order to do the modification, they will need to separate the stub axels from the CV joint (which connects them to the front axels). It takes all of about 30 minutes or so to do that for both. The stub axels (tension bolts) are placed back into the wheel hub as they are used by the ABS sensors in the wheel hubs.

I have experienced very little loss of traction, a little bit when the boost hits hard in 2nd gear. The car definately feels quicker going thru all of the gears and the steering is a lot more responsive making the car feel more nimble.

Hi Martin

I understand better now. However, If I remember correctly, when removing the CV join, there should be some thick grease that lubrify the knuckle. How did you manage to save that grease in case you want to reinstall the 4wd in the future ?

Thsnk
Bo

Old 06-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Mz3bo
Hi Martin

I understand better now. However, If I remember correctly, when removing the CV join, there should be some thick grease that lubrify the knuckle. How did you manage to save that grease in case you want to reinstall the 4wd in the future ?

Thsnk
Bo
My shop told me that the grease can be purchased and repacked when I'm ready to convert the car back to AWD. There are also about 5-6 mental ***** that go into each cv joint that were also removed.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Salespunk is on a distinguished road
How come you guys aren't just removing the rear driveshaft and going FWD? That would be MUCH safer...

The RWD conversion sounds like a sick mod. You should gain back north of 8% parasitic drivetrain loss. I passed on a 996TT because of the AWD, but now?

Old 06-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Salespunk
How come you guys aren't just removing the rear driveshaft and going FWD? That would be MUCH safer...

The RWD conversion sounds like a sick mod. You should gain back north of 8% parasitic drivetrain loss. I passed on a 996TT because of the AWD, but now?
FWD conversion, huh?

I think this thread should inspire you to pick up a TT...

Old 06-27-2006, 12:54 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !

OMFG *** safe, all supercar's/sports cars should be RWD, plain and simple. I honestly hated awd the first day i got my turbo, but lived with it because of sick traction and speeds i couldnt imagine of. Well let me tell you, pushing my mental limits the car is still carrying out sick cornering speed and blasting out of a turn in little twisties with back end slightly spinning or kicking out on the exit, the car was built and meant for it!

Old 06-27-2006, 05:07 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Pleaseeeeeeeeee

Pleaseeeeee
Someone do a 1/4 time before changing to rwd.. and then afterwards.. please I want to see if there is an improvement or worsening of 1/4 times
thanks
robert

Old 06-27-2006, 05:52 PM
tthoang1 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone done the 2WD conversion on a tip car? Just curious. TIA

Old 06-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Did u take out the differential as well??

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
How come you guys aren't just removing the rear driveshaft and going FWD? That would be MUCH safer..
You can NOT be serious?!

Old 06-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by tthoang1
Has anyone done the 2WD conversion on a tip car? Just curious. TIA
I'm thinking it'd be the same process because you are taking things off that are connected to the tranny and not something in the tranny, but I dont know for sure.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Yup, took off/out the following things:

1- Front Drive Shaft
1- Front Differential
2 - Front Axels w/attached cv joints

I will take pictures of the items that were taken off/out of the car tonight. The heaviest thing by far is the front diff of course.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Mark, he did.

2. Remove the front diff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: RWD Conversion Complete...one word...AWESOME!!!