996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD Conversion Complete...one word...AWESOME!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:40 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nick49
I'd like some input from those that have done this.

I'm a former motorcycle roadracer, raced 750 and open GSXR Superbikes for 10 years. I like quick fast cars but mainly great handling or the ability to use finesse and get cars to go quicker in the turns.

I had a 996 C2 Cabriolet and much preferred the handling, agility, steering feel, etc to my Turbo. The AWD just feels too trucky, heavy, steering is resistant to turn quick in rapid succession in the canyon twisties.

I never plan to track my car but I like to play in the canyons when safe. I don't plan to add coilovers, maybe some lowering H&R springs I have on hand and either mod my rear sway bar or buy a stiffer one. That's it nothing more.

I have toyed with the idea of going RWD and loose the weight and drag off the front wheels to have Turbo power with hopefully C2 nimbleness. I realize I'll still pay a bit of penalty for the heavier rotors and bigger wheels and tires, but I think I can live with that.

Does this sound realistic to accomplish what I want?
I'm RWD. I'm a track rat and love it. On my local 2.6 mile circuit I can run about 2 sec faster in RWD with LSD compared to AWD with LSD. In my opinion if you don't have a good LSD in conjunction with RWD then you are leaving a lot on the table as the power application in the turns will greatly suffer as your inside wheel will just be spinning away with nothing propelling the car due to the open diff. These cars are really transformed with a good LSD like Guard and a detection of PSM. I would do the RWD correctly and go all the way.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 04-08-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Absolutely. My 996tt had a guards 60/40 LSD in it and that was a great mod to tame that power.

Mike

Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Absolutely. My 996tt had a guards 60/40 LSD in it and that was a great mod to tame that power.

Mike
Thats exactly what I'm running. Guard Club 40/60

Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
To those that recommend an LSD. (I had a factory one in my '99 C2)

Is doing the RWD without a LSD a mistake?

Here again, my car will never see a track and is mostly driven within the speed limit parameters. But every now and again, as I live a mile from the canyons and lots of twisties for miles, I like to get frisky and push the car near it's limits. Full boost or hard on the brakes.

I'd love the RWD and may DIY as a fun project but I don't want to get involved in the expense and install whether I DIY or have it done. I have a Boxster that is fun, A lifted Jeep that I off road, a dual purpose motorcycle and a couple of GSXRs, some Harley's too, but my true passion is hiking and climbing peaks. The only reason I stated that is so you may see where the Turbo fits in. It's a wonderful car, but not the most important thing in my life.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Near the limit on canyon roads? What about blind turns? Oncoming traffic? Oncoming traffic in blind turns? Sorry, I'd need to see that one.

That being said, if you have some good tires, you will not lack grip 95% of the time. But let you get caught in the rain, or pushing it a little too hard in a turn and you may wish you had one, at which point it will be up to you to save the car, which is doable, but much much easier with an LSD.