996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Detecting Aftermarket Chips w/ PIWIS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:07 AM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
Detecting Aftermarket Chips w/ PIWIS?

I am told the new PIWIS scanner can detect aftermarket chips pretty easily, including GIAC, REVO, etc... Seems PCA is going to start scanning as part of tech inspection at club racing events (starting at Daytona next week). I'm all for stopping cheating but I really can't swallow that the system can actually detect the program without running a check sum or doing a raw data dump to compare against all known possible OE files. Very time consuming...And with the encryption used, it isn't even reliable....

Can some of you more experienced with the PIWIS comment on this possibility.....

thanks
dave w

Old 10-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned
Neil@Orton is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DAVE W
I am told the new PIWIS scanner can detect aftermarket chips pretty easily, including GIAC, REVO, etc... Seems PCA is going to start scanning as part of tech inspection at club racing events (starting at Daytona next week). I'm all for stopping cheating but I really can't swallow that the system can actually detect the program without running a check sum or doing a raw data dump to compare against all known possible OE files. Very time consuming...And with the encryption used, it isn't even reliable....

Can some of you more experienced with the PIWIS comment on this possibility.....

thanks
dave w
I cannot comment on other tuners but I have done many cars for the dealership and they cannot detect it with the PIWIS.I had a cayment with a 3.8 and they did'nt even know the engine had been changed.

Neil

Old 10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
ECB
ECB is on a distinguished road
The DME also records whether and how often programs are loaded onto the ECU. So the whole flashloader thing becomes irrelevant.

The ONLY way around this is to reprogram the ECU and keep a "Zero" count on all "unathorized" ECU transfer.

The 997TT is far from unmoddable - it just helps a bunch when you have access to the security code! and dont have to "hack " things. Porsche has many layers of security. the common failing in the obd programs is that they often change part of the program, but leave the main program there.

This is why an OBD-flashed program is never really "on your ECU". When you lose power or even when a dealer snoops around, its possible to "erase" the program. The ONLY way to ensure you have a permanent program is to erase the ROM and replace the data with a new program. This "firmware update" requires compliance with Porsche security routines and codes. It also means that you cant use a single program for all cars - as they all have subtle differences.

For example, the engine code and VIN# are interspersed throught the whole encrypted ECU. Pretty sneaky eh?

Old 10-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Hey guys, what if I buy another ecu... tune it and swap back to the original when going in for service?

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-07-2006, 08:52 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
So neil says no, but kevin says yes... ???

what I;m really looking for is tech info on exactly what the PIWIS can see and not see in this regard. Those of you that say it see the tuner code, I'd like to know what screen and what data. I mean its just a scan tool that reads data, so it displays whatever the program in the ecu tells it to display. Certainly the tuners know this and tell it to display factory info. SO short of reading the file off the ecu and comparing it to all OE files, what else can be read. I also do not believe it counts ROM flashes...can you point me to the screen in the PIWIS that does this??

dw

Old 10-08-2006, 09:46 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DAVE W
So neil says no, but kevin says yes... ???

dw
Dave, as I read/understand it, Kevin is suggesting that his programming (actual Bosch code) is undetectable compared to GIAC, Upsolute...because it is actual Bosch and is stored on the programmer. When you flash back to stock it is written over with stock code. Most of the other programs are multiplier programs that take stock code and modify it with additional code to get the performance (i.e., it is not re-wrotten Bosch code). I have no idea about being able to read number of times the ECU is flashed (first I've heard of this, heck dealers re-flash the ECU also).

Old 10-08-2006, 11:05 AM
I didn't realize that GIAC was "multiplier" code as you call it. This would suggest that it retains the OE maps but then tells the ecu to edit its output based upon some algorthim and values stored in a seperate table. I thought it used OE code, that was modified with tuned values but stored in empty space on the ROM and the ECU was redirected to read these values instead of the OE maps.

Either way I am still not comfortable with comments that PIWIS can easily detect the program. Not if its written well...and to display stock data when accessed by a scanner.

dw

Old 11-25-2006, 10:14 AM
here is a screen shot I was given of a 04 GT3 w/ Revo chip hooked up to a PIWIS which seems to have detected it.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:12 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I thought the stephan phd claimed that the GIAC switcher was not detectable? That was one of their main selling points, what's up with that? Calling the doc please clariify.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Banned
BlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud of
Kevin,

What program do you have now? Can I do the reprogram myself or do I need to send the ECU back to you?

How much if I want to be able to do my own loading of maps?

Old 11-25-2006, 08:56 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
who or what company is doing the programs?

Old 11-25-2006, 11:56 PM
oak
do you actually write the programs?

Old 11-26-2006, 01:26 AM
oak
that's not what I'm asking. sure, anyone can send it out to a programmer and have anything done. my question is, do YOU, YOURSELF write and modify the actual programs?

Old 11-26-2006, 10:23 AM
rosesplus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Kevin
"I" have software tools/editors that "I" use to modify the Motronic 7.8 code structure.
And having purchased Kevin's program/adjustment/tune/upgrade last week let me tell you it's FANTASTIC!!
I now have a programmer that allows me to reload the stock program, put a valet program in or a big hp/torque increase program.

Cheers,

Mark

Old 11-26-2006, 10:57 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I guess who cares who writes it...if it gets you want you want? Anyway, I have it also and Kevin is absolutely great at supporting his product. I'm about to upgrade my wastegates/DVs and intake and of course Kevin will modify the programmer to suit. You won't be disappointed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Detecting Aftermarket Chips w/ PIWIS?