996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How much HP to the crank can the 996TT run with no additional fuel and engine work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kevin
\My position is why do you want a EBC when you can do it with programming.. The factory Motronics has so many safe-guards and one of the methods is "LIMP" mode. If you lose or split a boost hose, or your bypass valve "F" hose splits. The ECU will reduce boost, if you run a EBC you will still be running your pre-set boost settings. Sending your turbochargers into a overspeed condition trying to make the boost (tearing life out of your turbochargers).. This is just one example..
Kevin I could not have said that better myself. I'm really not keen on "forcing" the issue by using an EBC/MBC. If danger lurks, why "force" the car to run whatever boost (usually too high) that you have set it to. Let the ECU do the work "for" you.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Im not going to mention names.. but most of you guys know who IM talking about...
he gets rid of the stock frequency(via software) valve and uses a EBC- so if u dont hook one up u will spin ur turbos to 3 bars..
I agree with kevin when he said that the ecu send signals to the frequency valve... it has too... but u still are limited to the Wastegate spring setting and or spring pressure. So one can not write via software a boost setting and expect results if you have a wastegate spring that is 6 psi or something... ist not possible for that spring tp hold 1.3 bars of boost for example...
but thats not what I was trying to say...
my whole point is that tuning a car for different boost settings( using appropriate fuel octanes)... and then controlling the boost at u fingertips, in my opinion, is by far the standard in the any turbo tuning application.
Im not arguing 'HOW" you get to control the boost.. whether with a EBC or a motronic...as long as one has the option...
Im not saying that everyone with a stage 4 should just go and get a EBC and hook it up... that will not work properly...
My original example of my evo8 showed considerable HP increase with each boost setting... So a TT, lets say at 1.1 bars, will have approximately the same amount of HP no matter on what fuel octane... but if one would be able to run the car at, lets say 1.3 on the 100 octane... u just added at least 40 rwhp( example).
whats the point of running the same boost setting on 93 octane as well as on 100 or higher if you do not get the real benefit... ur still at the static boost setting. Granted, I did have the flashloader and had the race program... but I was still at the same boost setting. When I went to the track my times were no better on the race program either.
Having the ECU mapped for different boost settings and then controlling that boost in the **** VIA (what ever) is in my opinion the way to go.
If Im not mistaken, Sharky when he ran his 10 second passes, was on some sort of boost controller- I remember reading about it. His low boost setting was 22 psi.
So some are/were doing it.
Now, look at the 997TT- you have a in **** pit "overboost" button... where at ur fingertips it gives u a 20 seconds of increased boost... hhhmmm I wonder why they did that ...
just my opinon guys no harm intended... Both Kevin and Sharky are are awesome guys.. IM just expressing my views.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 11-02-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Banned
USCTrojanMan29 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kevin
Markski, I can do what you are wanting/saying without a boost controller.. And it allows the user to toggle a little button to a high boost option.. Or Race gas option or whatever boost level you want.. Again, I don't need the EBC.. I'm using the ECU mapping to make the boost level change.. And Yes, the button is not on the dash but under the dash in a OBD2 port(smile)..

One point that you a missing is that with your select a boost program you are leaving to much fuel on the table and timing.. Anotherwords I can match the correct timing and fuel to the boost level that you switch to. You can't.. You are limited to the timing value and fueling at your maximum.. Again you programming is set to run your max values/max fuel/max timing. What you can't do with a boost controller that I can do is give your wife or girlfreind a low boost lets say .8 bar rainy weather go home after the girls night out and not worry about wrecking the car. In this mode I will reduce the fueling, and timing.. Yes, I will limit the torque output.. I can also write and include a 1bar program for a track day (road course) that due to tires or outdoor temps traction is a issue and you don't need or want the high torque or boost.. Or what happens if you go to the 1/4 mile track and they are out of 100.. You can still run my high boost program on pump gas (timing is limited due to fuel grade).. You can't have these options with a EBC..
Wow Kevin, I had no idea that you could make such customized programs. The one small concern I had about going to your ZC hybrid turbos was adversely effecting the car's "trackability" because of too much boost and torque but if you have a track program for those days that I go to DE events then you've covered all the bases for me. I will be contacting you sometime in the Spring about my upgrade...

Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Kevin,
I was told by KPG- you have something really nice going... I agree with you.
After all, you were the one educating me 2 years ago
My whole point is that it would be nice to have "controllable" boost... and it seems like you have that one figured out.
Congrats,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-02-2006, 01:46 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ari
As usual Markski is spot on. Here is my dyno runs at 1.1 bar. Right around 500-510 RWHP on 91 octane. As you can see, the A/F ratio is spot on with the GIAC K24 software. There is plenty of leeway for adding hybrid turbos etc.. with most software.

I'm now running 1.2 BAR but have yet to dyno.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...o/Dyno%20Runs/

To add to what Markski is saying. It seems that the software has little to do with control of boost. Crank the wastegates and get more boost (especially with modified wastegate springs).
Does your bar/boost gauge correlate to hp? 1.1 sustained bar equals 500 whp?