996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone have any negative experiences with GIAC Stave IV (EVOMS or Imagine Auto)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 09:47 PM
SealTTX50 has a spectacular aura aboutSealTTX50 has a spectacular aura about
Anyone have any negative experiences with GIAC STAGE IV (EVOMS or Imagine Auto)?

Let me start by saying that I certainly don't want to start any discussion board wars....

Quite to the contrary: I have heard great things about both of these tuners and the GIAC programs. However, I know it is much easier to say great things about well respected companies than share negative experiences.

If I upgrade my ECU, it looks like I will go with one of these.....

Here are my questions:
1) Obviously 600hp is putting a greater strain on the engine and turbochargers. Does anyone have any idea on how this will effect longevity and reliability?

2) Has anyone had any 1st hand experiences with engine or turbo issues after pushing this engine to 600hp+?

3) Part of me feels that Porsche designed the internals of the engine and tranny for 450hp. So how well will it handle 600hp? Can I still expect a trouble free ride for 10s of thousands of miles?

4) If there is a problem, is it possible to turn the ECU completely back to stock with the GIAC program or is it changed forever?

Hoping to hear some constructive feedback. I just want to cover my bases before I take the plunge. Originally I was thinking of the Stage 4GT or even Stage 5, but I don't think I really want to sacrifice the long term reliability and longevity of the engine and drivetrain. Part of me thinks that maybe even the Stage III could be pushing the engine too much....

Thanks!
Look forward to hearing some advice!!
-Rich

Last edited by SealTTX50; 02-16-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:14 PM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Rich,

I did have one recent problem with my ECU from GIAC. My car wouldn't start and it was because of the chip. We found out what was wrong and GIAC took care of it immediately. My car was getting a lot of custom tuning done and therefore my chip was reprogrammed and taken out/in many many times (not the ordinarry customer). So therefore the chips pins got a little loose. So a new chip was put in same day and sent right back.

Otherwise no problems thus far and very happy with my Stage IV GT.

But I do however have one question for you though? If your main worry is warranty / reliability than why mod at all? If you do Stave 2 why not Stage 4. I guarrantee that once you get accustomed to stage 2, you will want more power. I now want more power too

The way I see things is either you stay stock or go all out

Good luck .

Old 02-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
I must say I had a miserable experience with the EVO stage IVGT
setup. I'm stock, and he pulled away like I was idling, and I was
pissed all that day.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:25 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by fredttx50
Hi Rich,

I did have one recent problem with my ECU from GIAC. My car wouldn't start and it was because of the chip. We found out what was wrong and GIAC took care of it immediately. My car was getting a lot of custom tuning done and therefore my chip was reprogrammed and taken out/in many many times (not the ordinarry customer). So therefore the chips pins got a little loose. So a new chip was put in same day and sent right back.

Otherwise no problems thus far and very happy with my Stage IV GT.

But I do however have one question for you though? If your main worry is warranty / reliability than why mod at all? If you do Stave 2 why not Stage 4. I guarrantee that once you get accustomed to stage 2, you will want more power. I now want more power too

The way I see things is either you stay stock or go all out

Good luck .

That's it in a nutshell. I have stage 2 and now I am looking. Always looking. It is terrible. I wish I never moded the car. It's like a sickness. "Well I did this, so now for only $______ more, I can do this. And on and on and on." Stop while you can and as a matter of fact, stop reading this messageboard. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:31 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
1. So far I have over 30K miles at this level with no issues. I have over 78 dyno pulls on the car with testing as well.

2. I run a regular oil analysis and leak down test. I also do a leak test of the intake from time to time.

3. Porsche has always overbuilt their turbos. This car is no exception. Like years past they want 100-150K miles with no issues. There are no free lunches, while you may not get a 150K miles out of 600+Hp you can expect 75k+ before internal maintenance is required.

4. Yes, support is the key. If you need it stock for a day that can be done, free of charge.

Hope this helps

Old 02-17-2004, 05:43 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
No porblems here and love it...Do not forget that in level 4 you are using bigger K24s that can pudsh more air and generate the extra ponies with more HP..
Also, the X50 and GT2 engines use the same turbos from Porsche and look to what Porsche did to the 04 GT2: they upped it to near 500HP stock with no internal mods....

Old 02-17-2004, 05:47 AM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by PorschePhD
expect 75k+ before internal maintenance is required.
While many may never see 75K miles...at my current rate, i'll be there in no time!

Now when is the new 998TT supposed to debut?

Stephen...where do you get your leak down tests done? It's about time for another oil change and i'd like to see how my car is holding up, etc.

Old 02-17-2004, 06:22 AM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Stephan:

Please respond to my other post regarding warranty fights with the various timers on the car.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:08 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Michael,
I run my own leak down. I got in the habit on my 930 years ago. Never can be too safe.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Headed over there now Tim.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:29 AM
02TurboX50 is on a distinguished road
MSINDI-
You mention you need the K24 Turbos for the Level IV. It looks like SealTTX50 has an X50 already. I thought you didn't need to upgrade the turbos for a Level IV if you are starting with a GT2 or X50 Porsche. Isn't that the case?

Old 02-17-2004, 09:27 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
You are correct...I also bought an X50 and upgrade to IAs 600HP kit while keeping my stock turbos

Old 02-17-2004, 09:38 AM
alamein is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by PorschePhD
... are no free lunches, while you may not get a 150K miles out of 600+Hp you can expect 75k+ before internal maintenance is required.
What do you think you can get with a Stage I or II? I would assume 150k? TIA

Old 02-17-2004, 10:51 AM
I believe the motor will last that long. The odds of the turbos lasting that long without a rebuild are not very good. Not because of the enhancements, rather the loose specs that KKK/BG is sending these turbos with.

Old 02-17-2004, 04:09 PM
prg
prg is on a distinguished road
You might want to consider the chip switcher. Stage 4 when you want it. Stock chip when puttering around town or visiting the dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone have any negative experiences with GIAC Stave IV (EVOMS or Imagine Auto)?