996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is 100 octane worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
Yeah it does advance automatically. If you use really bad gas it will retard the timing to save the engine, but I understand that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in terms of making HP.

Old 02-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Jack(LA) is on a distinguished road
Richard: Do a mix, as Tyson suggested, so as to get to at least 93 octane -- our cars' stock motronics were optimized to run at that octane, according to the manual.

There's also a 76 with 100 octane right off the 101 and the Chesbro (sp?) off ramp -- not to far from your favorite canyons.

Old 02-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
Don't forget the Canyon station by PCH. You get a free ice cold coke in a bottle with a fill up.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:03 PM
Jack(LA) is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Code Red
Don't forget the Canyon station by PCH. You get a free ice cold coke in a bottle with a fill up.
Yes sir, I've been to Canyon Detail. Got to watch their driveway-- not good for us low riders.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:09 PM
My favorite is the 76 that Tyson goes to at Bundy and San Vicente. When prices go up it always take them awhile to adjust , they are open early, sloped driveway and they have 100 octane. They keep the pump locked so know one fills up with it by accident.

Old 03-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Zeo
Zeo is on a distinguished road
i am sorry if this is an old thread but i had a question. Last year i had an upsolute ECU program only in my car with other silly mods. I used 99 octane VP race fuel until the fuel was completely empty and then put more fuel cause i wanted it to be 99 octane only and not a mixture of fuel. After my street race was over i had a massive air leak and took it to the dealership to see how they can fix it. They didnt know what caused it but once i mentioned the fuel they started to blame it on the fuel. Could it be that 99 octane gas does this to a car or is the air leak from the hoses caused by asomething else. I want to buy barrels of fuel cause over here the premium is at 89 octane. Its kinda funny that in the mid east where oil is available everywhere, the best you can get is 89 octane. has fuel caused on problems to your car or is this air leak possible from another cause?

Old 03-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
your dealer must take you for a sucker if they are trying to blame your air leak on the higher octane fuel.

vacuum leaks are very common problems on '01 Turbos.

Old 03-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Canyon is closing down. The 76 at Chesebro is only $4.25 for 100 Octane. Thanks for the tip Ian, I've been there twice now. the 76 in Brentwood is $5.50.

Old 03-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Porsche Fiend
Is it $5.50? I went there the other day and it is $5.399

**** this sucks.

Why is Canyon closing down? Time to go to Agoura for fill ups then.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:23 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
tyson, why not put a tank with a combo lock hidden in the sa mo mtn.s where we can blend on an honour basis?

Old 03-18-2004, 10:26 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Hamann7
your dealer must take you for a sucker if they are trying to blame your air leak on the higher octane fuel.

vacuum leaks are very common problems on '01 Turbos.
ROFL especially on those silly modded Tips.. Pop goes the weasel, I mean that silly hose. One day, I swear I'm just gonna get some hard piping. No doubt it'll cost 5k to do it cos it's a PoorSHAR.

Old 03-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Porsche Fiend
watt, that's a good idea to stash some VP 103 in the middle of the canyons. but then what if that ***** snitch from arson watch finds it and harrasses us? Hey now that I think about it, I have a feeling that ******* who took a pic of me the other day is the husband of that **** because the car looked somewhat familiar... hmmmm... well snitches have bad karma...

sharkster, I can't believe you haven't gone to hard piping. Geez, with all the work you've done, what are you thinkin? I'm surprised this is not one of the first things Stephen made you do...

To be honest with you, you might as well get the Protomotive intake system since it converts all your plumbing to hard pipes anyway.

Old 03-18-2004, 10:35 PM
Canyon is closing because it is in the People's Republic of Santa Monica. They don't want you to have an fun here. i must get one parking ticket a week. It's like a user tax just to live in the city. Don't get me started!

Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Porsche Fiend
Richard, we should make an offer to buy that site, I'm serious.

Old 03-18-2004, 10:41 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Hamann7
watt, that's a good idea to stash some VP 103 in the middle of the canyons. but then what if that ***** snitch from arson watch finds it and harrasses us? Hey now that I think about it, I have a feeling that ******* who took a pic of me the other day is the husband of that **** because the car looked somewhat familiar... hmmmm... well snitches have bad karma...

sharkster, I can't believe you haven't gone to hard piping. Geez, with all the work you've done, what are you thinkin? I'm surprised this is not one of the first things Stephen made you do...

To be honest with you, you might as well get the Protomotive intake system since it converts all your plumbing to hard pipes anyway.
It's one of the weakest links on the car isn't it? We never lost a hose at the event and it's only since I've gotten home I was going to do some hard piping a while back just not for 5k

I also replaced that POS diverter valve hose. OMG is that the biggest piece of **** (well it's small actually) that I've ever seen. I can't believe what a sloppy part that is... It's my third one and tore back when I was stock the first time..

PS You should see my new ghetto intake, it works, I tell ya Not as good as yours was but still it makes all the nice noises that the Hundah boys love!

Last edited by sharkster; 03-18-2004 at 10:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is 100 octane worth it?