996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Neil Orton to do Heavy Mods for my TT Soon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Tom,

I totally agree with you and think the driving lessons are a must. I am in the Atlanta area about 7 hrs north of you. Do you have any recommendations in my neck of the woods? I am about 25 min. south of Road Atlanta. My first level of interest is auto-x. Not interested in trying to do turn 12 at RA running 130 at this point. Biggest problem I have found in the research I have done is that there is no place to practice auto-x.

BTW, the car goes to Neil tomorrow afternoon.

Originally Posted by tom kerr
Al congrats awesome plans!!! You are way out of my league!!!

But dont forget the BEST mod that makes you the fastest will be the driving lessons!! Have fun and be safe!!!

tom

Old 02-10-2007, 10:15 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Al,

Sounds like a sweet project, couple questions?

What is the hp goal?
What was the reason you chose Orton?

As someone else said it is cool to see how many different options
there are now for tuning and how crazy it is around here. Seems like
we are daily hearing of people mega modding their tt's.

So Cool!

Old 02-10-2007, 10:25 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I found that video on You tube but it only plays the first 8 seconds and then it's over. Does anyone have another version somewhere?

Old 02-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Hi Buddy,

Thanks for the kind words.

In answer to your first question, I have no particular goal for HP. There are so many variables from E. dyno to E. dyno and C. dyno to C. dyno that for comparative data, I find them lacking. It is possible the engine will get some E. dyno time for preliminary mapping but it is my understanding that at some point the different e-prom programs will be tweaked on the open road. I have installed double portions of prophylactic items that should provide help. No further comment on that.

I do plan to take the car up to the drag strip at Commerce GA and do some time trials there as well as gather some data with my Performance box. I will also do some 60 to 130 times with 1 shift and with none. If Neil would just get that baby twisting 8500, then with my Nitto tires, I could make 130 with a run in 3rd gear only. No, I'm not nuts---don't plan to be doing that on a stock, or nearly stock valve train. However, I won't be far away with the 8K redline (almost 125.) Anyway, the car wouldn't be making power at 8.5K without some serious flow-bench time and different camming. It's been hard for me to find a stretch of road in my area that is flat enough to get meaningful data. With all those times and MPH, I would suppone a little extrapolation would give some general idea of HP output. I just want "Silver Bullet" to accelerate quickly and make me grin. That was my challenge to Neil---not a HP goal. Buddy, I hope that made some sense.

As to your second question, I chose Orton for a number of reasons. He is now out of bed with two former groups that seemed to do harm to his reputation. He has connections with a couple of Germans, an engine builder, and a programmer who were responsible for that yellow Korean car some of us saw in the video clip on 6Speed. I felt the car gave good performance for no more modding than was done. Would have been somewhat better if he could have gotten some bite in first. He told me he had to tune that one down because of the stock internals. My internals will be similar to yours and should withstand considerably more cylinder pressure.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=66465

I have seen a lot of complementary posts for him in recent months and have communicated with some of those making the compliments.

I have met with Neil on a few occasions, and we get on well together.

Probably my last reason would be that his shop is 20 minutes from my house. Being new to 6Speed, I have read through the 2006 posts and am into the '05's now. Many advised to try to find a local tuner.

You are exactly right, there are many tuning options out there and it should be fun just turning him loose to see what happens.

BTW the car goes to his shop this afternoon, with no promise as to a date for completion.

Originally Posted by buddyg
Al,

Sounds like a sweet project, couple questions?

What is the hp goal?
What was the reason you chose Orton?

As someone else said it is cool to see how many different options
there are now for tuning and how crazy it is around here. Seems like
we are daily hearing of people mega modding their tt's.

So Cool!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:32 AM
CLS
CLS is infamous around these partsCLS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RichardCH
If Neil deos anything in the time scheduled promised I'll be very surprised for one
That was you must know Neil pretty well I am with you.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Al,

Thanks for the response. I am thinking with all your are doing you might want to have the heads done for more flow. If I was doing mine again I would definately do that as it seems to really make a huge difference.

Just a thought, love spending other peoples money!

Old 02-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the advice Buddy. Now would certainly be the most cost-efficient time to do it. I'll see what Neil thinks.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:00 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Trap speeds at the drag strip / combined with weight of car are the best way to measure hp. Dynos are too subjective to get consistant readings from one to another.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Buddy,

I talked to Neil yesterday and he said no head work needed to achieve the performance I am looking for. I think help will come via special exhaust camming and attention to the timing of the sequential events involved in the whole combustion process. Black magic EPROM/ECU stuff about which I know very little.

He assured me the car will make good torque beginning low in the curve and that it will be increasing in HP all the way to 8K. This will make low gear more useful (46 MPH with the 315 Nitto's) and with good low-end torque, I may only need 2 gears for autocrossing.

I know flow bench work would increase performance, but I'm not out to be one of the elite few in the super performance category. I'm just looking for performance a bit north of that produced by the yellow Korean TT. It seemed to have good torque, and good low-down torque is what will give me what I am looking for. Keeping it coupled to the road? Well that's another matter. We'll see.

Originally Posted by buddyg
Al,

Thanks for the response. I am thinking with all your are doing you might want to have the heads done for more flow. If I was doing mine again I would definately do that as it seems to really make a huge difference.

Just a thought, love spending other peoples money!