996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sechsgang
Ive just never wanted to mess with my battery...I like having the extra "oh ****, shouldnt have left that on" protection at all times. Like the time the cutoff switch got pulled on my car with my ELECTRIC bonnet cover down right before a clubrace...that was an interesting couple of minutes...
You gonna come to Road Atlanta or Sebring for the club race?

Old 12-02-2007, 04:18 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
its really dependent on whether or not I can get some track time at either place before the race. I would LOVE to do RA but I dont know if the timing will work out the way I would like. W/e I know I am doing Limerock and I may try to 3rd seat on some longer races (non pca)

Old 12-05-2007, 04:28 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
I just weighed the front bumper support and bracket including all associated hardware and it weighs 14.2lbs.

The rear bumper support and bracket including attached heat shield, bumperettes and all associated hardware weights 21.4lbs.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
TX Gold,

Great info. I've been waiting for someone to come up with those exact weights. Question is, do I want any more weight off my front end? I'm not sure. Do I dare expose my engine to increased damage from anything hitting the rear end? I think not.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:46 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
TX Gold,

Great info. I've been waiting for someone to come up with those exact weights. Question is, do I want any more weight off my front end? I'm not sure. Do I dare expose my engine to increased damage from anything hitting the rear end? I think not.

+1

I was considering it, but just not worth the risk.

Straight Pipes -40
Battery -30
Seats (18 lbs each) -60

Old 12-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Can anyone post up a thread detailing the clutch actuator removal ? Any pluses or minues to this mod ? Just found this thread and am looking to drop some weight in the coming months.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Another thing with straight pipes..

If you're at some tracks, they measure the dec. of sound...like at Barber. They wont let you go out if you don't muffle it.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:02 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
^^Turn Down pipes for the win.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
sechsgang,

I've heard it's better to turn them up. Have you, or do you know of anyone who has tried it both ways passing a db meter?

Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
no, but I know that Limerock has a pretty strict limit (93 or so DB) and turndowns on a na 996 (which are much louder than the turbo's) kept it legal when on straight pipes

Old 12-10-2007, 08:01 PM
You can also point it the opp. way of the measurer thing.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:11 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
Another thing with straight pipes..

If you're at some tracks, they measure the dec. of sound...like at Barber. They wont let you go out if you don't muffle it.
Cant run mine Sunday am's at Road Atlanta!!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:25 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
Need a list with savings

This would be a great thread if you had a list of cars with weights and what was done to save the weight.

I'm looking at getting a turbo and am very interested in weight. I had my car, a NA 996, down to low 2700lbs. I'm hoping I can get a TT with down to just under 3000 if I make it two wheel drive and do the same things I did to mine. Full Exhaust (-65), battery (-22), seats (-125), wheels (-16), flywheel (-15).

Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
just removed the rear seat belts and brackets behind the paneling and all the foam and sound insulation along with rear wiper, also the rear large center carpet piece was much heavier than I thought it would be.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by racerjsz
This would be a great thread if you had a list of cars with weights and what was done to save the weight.

I'm looking at getting a turbo and am very interested in weight. I had my car, a NA 996, down to low 2700lbs. I'm hoping I can get a TT with down to just under 3000 if I make it two wheel drive and do the same things I did to mine. Full Exhaust (-65), battery (-22), seats (-125), wheels (-16), flywheel (-15).
you need to get way more aggressive with the outage...haha...they realistically start around 3600 lbs...those options are HEAVY!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List