996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Recommended harness for GT3 seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Dirty Mac is on a distinguished road
Recommended harness for GT3 seats

I need to get a racing harness. I have the GT3 seats and a roll bar. I want to keep my stock seatbelts. And of course, there's got to be some yellow .

I want to make sure that they are easily adjustable.

Where do I attach them? I'm particularly concerned with the tunnel side. It looks very tight in there.

Then there's the question of using bolt on or clip on attachements.

2" vs 3"?

Should I be thinking about HANS?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:07 PM
JayM is on a distinguished road
If you go with clip-on (I did), Brey-Kraus makes harness mounting hardware that bolts into the seat belt attachment points. You can continue to use the seat belts, and I leave the mounting hardware in place even when not using the harnesses. I recommend using new, slightly longer bolts to make sure there is the same amount of contact area after installing the mounting brackets. This was a particular issue for me on the outside mounting points, because that bolt also secures the roll bar. I replaced the original bolt with an aircraft-quality bolt that was 1/8" longer.
Definitely go with 3"; these guys http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
have them in yellow.
As far as a Hans device goes, hey, it's your neck.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:09 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I would just go with some Teamtech or Schroth 5/6 pts...

Old 02-20-2007, 02:31 PM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
If you want the best, Schroth 6pt all the way. You should be thinking about HANS too. I use Schroth 3inch with no worries. If I were to do it again, I'd get get these -- http://www.schrothracing.com/products/competition/1610.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
My research dictated the Profi II-6. The 3" shoulder strap will work just fine with the HANS device (ask Jim Downing, the inventor of the device) and the 2" lap belt will allow you to cinch up tighter than the 3" which will ride up higher on your pelvic girdle.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:24 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
My research dictated the Profi II-6. The 3" shoulder strap will work just fine with the HANS device (ask Jim Downing, the inventor of the device) and the 2" lap belt will allow you to cinch up tighter than the 3" which will ride up higher on your pelvic girdle.
Stan, Al has it right and here is what I know....

I have the clip in Scroth harnesses as above. To make the laps work as simple clip in, you use the BK 9003 on the outside of the GT3 seat. The factory belt needs to be attached at the original mounting point in the floor or to the roll bar bolt at that same point. On the inside of the tunnel, you use your factory seat belt receptacle connected to the seat, along with a BK R9004. The R9004 is designed to sandwich along with the seat belt receptacle on the outside seat bolt.

For the sub belt, you can use a Porsche factory piece. Like the BK9030 under each seat. These make it easy in the future to attach another BK product to mount a fire extinguisher.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:25 PM
JayM; Where did you mount the eye bolt on the tunnel side? I just don't see any room there. Where did you get the outside eye bolt?

Al Norton; Where can I get info on the HANS device. Schroth seems to imply that you need special belts to work with the device.

Is there any preference getting the anti-sub straps that hook onto the lap belt vs the kind that click in seperately?

Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr

I have the clip in Scroth harnesses as above. To make the laps work as simple clip in, you use the BK 9003 on the outside of the GT3 seat. The factory belt needs to be attached at the original mounting point in the floor or to the roll bar bolt at that same point. On the inside of the tunnel, you use your factory seat belt receptacle connected to the seat, along with a BK R9004. The R9004 is designed to sandwich along with the seat belt receptacle on the outside seat bolt.

For the sub belt, you can use a Porsche factory piece. Like the BK9030 under each seat. These make it easy in the future to attach another BK product to mount a fire extinguisher.

Did you have that setup when I was in your car? Can't remember. Where do I pick up the BK pieces? Are they Porsche OEM?

Old 02-20-2007, 09:42 PM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dirty Mac
Did you have that setup when I was in your car? Can't remember. Where do I pick up the BK pieces? Are they Porsche OEM?
They are not Porsche made. They are a separate company.
http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9004.php

Old 02-20-2007, 09:44 PM

+1. That's the exact setup I have.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Went to the HANS site. Found this FAQ which answers my question about shoulder belt width:

What type of shoulder belts work best with a HANS®?
As the inventors, developers and only marketers of HANS® devices worldwide, we recommend any 3" belts for use with HANS® devices. Based upon better stretch and aging characteristics, we prefer that drivers use polyester belts. However, both nylon and polyester work fine with HANS® devices.

Link

Old 02-20-2007, 10:55 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Did you have that setup when I was in your car? Can't remember. Where do I pick up the BK pieces? Are they Porsche OEM?[/left]
Yes, Stan you want exactly what I have.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Yes, Stan you want exactly what I have.
Well considering that you will be sitting in my passanger seat, I guess I can take your word for it.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
JayM; Where did you mount the eye bolt on the tunnel side? I just don't see any room there. Where did you get the outside eye bolt?

Al Norton; Where can I get info on the HANS device. Schroth seems to imply that you need special belts to work with the device.

Is there any preference getting the anti-sub straps that hook onto the lap belt vs the kind that click in seperately?
DM,

That is definitely an implication by Schroth about the -HANS systems they sell, as in Profi II-HANS and Profi III-HANS. I posted in another thread (heck, maybe this one) that the designer of the HANS system was seen at a 2002 endurance event with 3" shoulder straps overlaying his HANS and indicated they were a fine match to his system.

Google HANS and you will find several dealers who carry the product. $800ish to over one K. Be sure to have a helment with adequate fiberglass thickness in the back about 2" up from the base to attach the bolt-throughs that hook to the HANS. Maybe big-*** fender washers will compensate, I don't know. You wouldn't want them to break free in a frontal impact and lessen the effectiveness of the HANS. I speak as a person who has no personal experience with the device, but one who has done a lot of reading and talking to those having the set-up.

From my limited understanding of the anti-sub straps, you want something that attaches to a bar beneath the seat and through a slit in the seat to put them in their proper orientation. It is again my understanding that the term "anti-sub" is a misnomer, and the real purpose of the 5th or 5-6 belt is that during a shunt, you want to keep the lap straps in place low enough so that if one crashes, it will not allow the belt to rise above the pelvic girdle (bony part that holds up large-girthed people's pants ) and get into all the soft tissue ( intestines-spleen, etc.) that reside just above the bony parts. It has nothing to do with getting "scooted" down in the seat and filleting your "privates" in a crash event.

All the more reason to buy the 2" lap belts rather than the 3". They ride lower on the bony parts. Only my opinion, mind you.

As to straps that click onto the lap belt vs. those that click in separately, it depends on where you want the QR to reside when not in race use. Think about how you will most be using your car; with stock belt/shoulder harness device, or in full-race trim.

Last edited by Al Norton; 02-21-2007 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:09 AM
JayM is on a distinguished road

I got my harnesses (Simpson 5-points) and the B-K mounting hardware from OG Racing in Maryland. Schroth may have a similar package deal-if not, you can order the mounting hardware from B-K directly. To mount the tunnel-side connector you have to take the seat out ( unbolt it and lay it on its side-DO NOT disconnect the seat belt warning harness). It may not look like it but it fits (and doesn't rub). I greatly prefer the click-in sub-belt, since the cam-lock mechanism makes it really quick to get buckled up (and visa-versa).